Member #
    Images

Attaching walbro pickups to TJ fuel pump

I was having fuel starvation issues when I'd still have 4-5 gallons in my RCI fuel cell in my TJ. I decided to install two Walbro pickups to solve the problem. The challenge was attaching them to the factory fuel module. Here is how I did it.

First disassemble the module to get to the pump. It's pretty easy, just disconnect the wires and then push in the three tabs and pull the top off. Pull out the pump and remove all the filters.

In order to attach some fuel tubing to the pump I needed to grind the bottom a little to allow for a hose clamp.

I was then able to attach some 5/16 hose to the pump and clamp it in place.

Then I used the center portion of the filter to make a bushing to protect the hose and keep it centered in the module.

Bushing in place

I then cut out the bottom of the module where the pre-filter used to attach.

Pump re-installed in module.

Cut to length and install a "T" to attach the pickups.

Pickups installed and module all back together

Module re-installed into fuel cell.

Since the installation eliminated the factory filters I needed an inline filter. zukatude recommended I get one from a late model Nissan. I used Napa part # FIL3023. Worked perfect.

I put a little over 4 gallons into the tank and it is working great so far.
    Last edited by newracer; December 4th, 2008 at 01:25 PM.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    Bump for my installation solution.

That's some great tech! One of the reason's I've stuck with the old stock tank in the bed approach is because of the pickup issues associated with the RCI unit. It's great to know there is a solution, thanks for sharing.
    TJx2

Real nice writeup Mike!! Those pics help out a bunch.

Glad you figured it out.. should be a piece of cake for you to set up mine.
    Matthew
    '12 Toyota Tundra

Member #
    Images
    which RCI tank did you go with? And do you have pics of the clearance between it and the axle?

I am needing to do something along these lines this weekend.

Member #
    Images
    He is using a RCI 2161

Great Write up, I can see me using your ideas very soon, thanks!
    [URL="http://www.staythetrail.org"]www.staythetrail.org[/URL] <--KEEP THE TRAILS OPEN!!!--> [URL="http://www.treadlightly.org"]www.treadlightly.org[/URL]

98 TJ with stuff
    [URL="http://www.cheyennetrailcrew.org/"]
    [/URL]

Member #
    Images
    so, in an off camber situation, where one pick-up is submerged and one is not, what keeps the pump from drawing air/fumes from the unsubmerged one?

I still see a starvation issue, unless the problem was from the original pick-up not being deep enough to reach the bottom.
    ASE Master Tech
    '95 5.9 XJ on 44s and 35s
    Owner/Operator 4 On The Floor Automotive

Member #
    Images
    I would think the pickups have a mechanism to prevent sucking air- I haven't looked at pickups in great detail, but we use multiple pickups in other applications where the fuel goes to one side of the tank, and it works great.

Good question- I'd like to hear the specifics on how they work also! It could be as simple as the old "ping pong ball in the snorkel" kind of deal.......

Member #
    Images
    You can buy the pick-ups from here

From the site-
    How they work:
    Have you ever sprayed water on a window screen? Recall that the screen will actually hold some of the water. These pickups work the same way. When the pickup is submerged in fuel, gas will pass through the mesh with ease. When fuel sloshes away from the pickup, the mesh will hold enough fuel to fill all the tiny holes. That mesh full of fuel acts like a solid. At this point, the pump, sucking on the outlet will cause the mesh to suck shut, preventing the pump from sucking air. When fuel covers the pickup once again, the valve will open up and transfer fuel.
    Yes it is a 2161, the skid for it sits flush with the bottom of the frame rails.

The original problem was the fuel would slosh to one side during right hand turns or off camber to the drivers side.

Member #
    Images
    very interesting! Thanks for the info!

Member #
    Images
    how far back were you able to put the axle?

and is there room to move it farther?

Member #
    Images
    That is excellent info. You know, you could package those parts and sell them as a kit, and probably make a few bucks on the side..............
    The dude at KORE customs (or whatever the name is) sells quite a few of those rings to adapt the stock TJ fuel pump to the 2161 tank.

Member #
    Images
    It is pushed back 5". The tank is not in the way to move it more but I think changes would need to e made to the frame.