Samurai Guys - 1.6L 16V swap questions...

I know that at least a few of the folks on here have done the conversion from little 1.3L to the 16V engine. What problems and issues did you run into? What advice do you have for someone that is about to take the plunge and do the upgrade?

Our 86 is just aout ready for a new engine. I can justify the price of a used engine (about $650 plus shipping on Ebay, maybe cheaper if I can find a low-mileage engine locally) and the price of the wiring harness and all the other necessary goodies, but I need to make sure I am not getting in over my head. I need the swap to go pretty smoothly and not drag out for days and weeks.

You past experience and thoughts would be appreciated!
    Jeff Mason
    99 Isuzu Amigo.

Member #
    Images
    Mog416 has the 16v in his Sami. I think the swap was pretty straightforward for him - he'll be back in town this evening, and I'm sure he'll chime in.

Member #
    Images
    trail tough will modify your harness for you. its pricey but everyone says its well worth it. also some people had problems clearing the hood with the 16v. some guy say they have no problem crearing it but some say they did and put a small body lift on. othe than that it should be no problem with the adapter plate and kit
    87 samurai, 100 ich wheelbase, f & R 3-link coils, yota axles, 1.6 fi,
    and a
    yj

Member #
    It should be pretty straight foward if you get the right adapter kit and have trail tough modify your harness. Where have you looked locally for the motor? The 16v is a great swap and since it is Suzuki most everything bolts right up.

Check this out:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=23534

Regarding the hood clearance -- it's no big deal. I used a grinder to cut down the throttle cable bracket and then put an extra little rubber spacer (1/4" or so) between the body and frame on the front body mounts. I also added a couple washers to lengthen the hood bumper pads. All of these little mods took about a half hour.
    Last edited by Mog416; November 1st, 2006 at 09:07 AM.
    1988.5 Zuk - 1.6L 16v, locked F/R, YJ SUA, 4.89:1, 3.73, cage, comfy seats

I'm in the middle of this at the moment. Waiting on some missing parts - head pipe, starter, fan pulley...
    I sent the wiring harness to TT to mod it, but they are Elk Hunting this week...

I also got an engine that had been sitting around without knowledge of it's running state - not even sure what year it is...

I wish I'd have made sure I had everything before pulling the old one out.
    Oh well...
    '12 Rubicon

I have converted two 8 valve, four 16 valve harnesses, and one being OBDII. I am now working on a 2.0L conversion as soon as I replace the timing guides in the motor. It takes alot of time for sure.

I can get my hands on an OBDII harness, and convert it. I'm not sure if the motor is good or not but I can find out.

Heres a link to a couple pictures of one harnes I have done.

As far as the hood clearance. What I have done is cut the 16 valve motor mounts and reweld them so they are an inch lower. I beat our samurais pretty hard and have had no problems.

The Orange zuk in my pictures, AKA OrangeZuk on here, his harness was done by me. He bought the Petroworks adapters.

L8rz

Chris Minerich
    Last edited by Shadow; November 1st, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samikrawler
    It should be pretty straight foward if you get the right adapter kit and have trail tough modify your harness. Where have you looked locally for the motor? The 16v is a great swap and since it is Suzuki most everything bolts right up.
    I haven't really looked locally for a motor. My assumption is that anything from a 92 - 95 would have way over 100,000 miles, and I don't know how much longer they would run before they would need a rebuild. Also, I don't really have the time to run around all the bone yards looking for a donor vehicle.

The Ebay engines *look* like a good deal, and most have a basic warranty on them (for whatever that is worth). It seems like the easiest way for me to get an engine.

Quote Originally Posted by jaidmaster
    I'm in the middle of this at the moment. Waiting on some missing parts - head pipe, starter, fan pulley...
    I sent the wiring harness to TT to mod it, but they are Elk Hunting this week...

I also got an engine that had been sitting around without knowledge of it's running state - not even sure what year it is...

I wish I'd have made sure I had everything before pulling the old one out.
    Oh well...

this is my fear - I'll get 80% done, then have to sit for a while to get it completed. I already have one Sammi in the garage that has been undergoing a 3+ year overhaul, I can't afford to have another project like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I have converted two 8 valve, four 16 valve harnesses, and one being OBDII. I am now working on a 2.0L conversion as soon as I replace the timing guides in the motor. It takes alot of time for sure.

I can get my hands on an OBDII harness, and convert it. I'm not sure if the motor is good or not but I can find out.

As far as the hood clearance. What I have done is cut the 16 valve motor mounts and reweld them so they are an inch lower. I beat our samurais pretty hard and have had no problems.

The Orange zuk in my pictures, AKA OrangeZuk on here, his harness was done by me. He bought the Petroworks adapters.

L8rz

Chris Minerich
    Looks like you do great work! I would prefer not to use any body mounts on mine, and I think I've read that using Dodge 318 motor mounts gives some flexibility in how low the engine can sit. In any case, that seems like a minor point that should be able to be addressed relatively easily.