Breaking in rebuilt 22RE engine

What viscosity oil do you use to break a motor in?

What's the standard break in procedures? I've got a new cam. I've heard 2000 rpm for 20-25 minutes, run motor lightly, changing up the rpms for 100 miles. Change oil and continue to be easy on it for 1000 miles. Change oil again and you're set.

What viscosity oil do most 22RE Toyota guys running here in CO?

Do I need to spray oil into the cylinder walls manually before trying to start?

Thanks and sorry for the 100 questions, just trying to cover my bases before firing up my fresh rebuild.

When I rebuilt mine I ran conventional valvoline 10W30 for the break-in process. Just run the idle up to 2000 rpms for the cam for about 20 minutes. change the oil, and check the valves again. Go easy for the first 1000 miles, but make sure you aren't going TOO easy, you can run the rpms up smoothly, you want to make sure it sees a good range of rpms during the break in, and absolutely no highway miles. you want your tach moving for those 1000 miles not stuck at a cruising speed. After the 1000 miles change the oil and switch to a synthetic oil. Hope this helps.
    -Brian

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Volcom
    What viscosity oil do you use to break a motor in?

What's the standard break in procedures? I've got a new cam. I've heard 2000 rpm for 20-25 minutes, run motor lightly, changing up the rpms for 100 miles. Change oil and continue to be easy on it for 1000 miles. Change oil again and you're set.

What viscosity oil do most 22RE Toyota guys running here in CO?

Do I need to spray oil into the cylinder walls manually before trying to start?

Thanks and sorry for the 100 questions, just trying to cover my bases before firing up my fresh rebuild.

I've built lots of motors and never "broke one in". Drive it the way you want it to run, if the engine was built right you won't have any problems. As long as I was a mechanic, I never had an engine come back. DO be sure to change the oil at 1000 miles though, 10w-30 is fine, Valvoline is my choice of oil. You should have coated your cylinder walls with oil when you put it together, adding oil to the top of the piston may foul the plugs, you don't want to crank the engine for a long time as it will starve vital bearings of oil until it starts. Hopefully your oil pump is in good shape and you should be fine, if you do another engine, coat the cylinder walls with some kind of thick oil so it sticks to the walls.
    Last edited by 89Runner; October 11th, 2006 at 08:34 AM.
    1987 4Runner, rebuilt 22RE, 350K miles. TG 4" SAS, 5.29 Motives, and 35" MTR's, custom front/rear bumpers :D
    2006 F350, PSD, CC, SB. SCTXcal2, 4" pipe, gauges

Thanks for the replies and the advice. The oil pump is new, however I primed it with white lithium grease before I installed it. I heard it help with making oil pressure sooner. But, another Toyota guy told me that the 22RE oil pumps don't need primed. I hope the white lithuim is thin enough the oil will wash it away upon startup.

True what 89Runner says.

But most aftermarket cam manufacturers do recommend the break-in procedure, like you first described Aaron.

And i'm sure 89Runner will agree that it won't hurt anything to do that cam break-in procedure.

To me the biggest thing is to have oil pressure right away when it starts. Whenever possible I like to prime the oil pump before installing it. Or on engines where you can spin the oil pump with a drill before starting, this is best because it pumps oil thru every passage before the engine is started. White grease helps the pump to not get any start up damage and helps it start drawing oil in, right away, but does nothing to get oil thru all the passages before the engine is ran.

However, If you used quality assembly lube on all the bearings and valve train components, and you get immediate oil pressure when the engine starts, you'll be fine.

Terry
    87 Xota

1000mi on my 22re

Just about to reach 1,000mi on my remanufactured 22re from jasper engines.
    I broke it in on the highway, but didnt redline it till the 500mi oil change.
    Now shes purring like Cat.

Member #
    Sorry, I didn't see that you replaced the cam, you DO want to follow the cam manu. instructions for cam break-in, after that drive it like you stole it (or however you want to ). Just like 87xjco said you should have used assembly lube on the bearings, you'll be fine.

last couple of engines ive built i started with only assembly lube. if the engine is put together properly it should just kick right over. it might be a good idea to pull the valve cover off and cover the cam in engine oil, just to make sure it gets the lube it needs to break in. if you want to get fancy, you can get a pressure pot which pressurizes your oil system with extra engine oil while you start the engine, if you can find one its the best way to do it...
    sased 84/86/83/80something 4 runner :D