Member #
    Images

Thumbs up Summit 4" Exhaust for Dodge

Ordered a 4" aluminized exhaust from Summit based on Eric's recommendation. It was $293 shipped to the house. It goes from the turbo exit all the way to the back and includes a muffler (such as it is ) and all hardware.

Everything needed for the install came with it. I used the trusty sawzall to remove the old exhaust in pieces. Once that was off, the entire install took about an hour. It went together real easy and fit perfectly, including new hangers that hooked up to the existing mounting locations.

Here's the box-o-pipe:

All of the parts:

The muffler. Shouldn't be much back pressure from this.

The rear where it dumps. No blingin' chrome like the stock system, but much larger.

The new system installed (hard to take good pics underneath the truck...):

The old system, which had both a resonator and a big muffler that wasn't straight thru:

Comparison of old and new diameter:

The instructions were little more than useless, but weren't really needed. It comes with three pieces of pipe so that it fits a standard cab, extended cab or four door version. It's a bit louder and more "throaty" sounding than the stock system, but not terribly so. I'm interested to see what it does for the EGTs when towing.

I would highly recommend this system if you're looking to upgrade your exhaust; I'm pretty sure they have them for all popular makes and years of diesel trucks. They also have a stainless version for $100 more, but since this version is aluminum coated it shouldn't rust.

What year is your Dodge?

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rckkrwlr460
    What year is your Dodge?
    It's a 2000.

Member #
    Images
    did you do your own welding on this one?
    2001 4.0L Wrangler Sport
    1973 CJ5 360
    1982 CJ7 360
    1971 Series III E-type Jaguar V12

it looks like this was a clamp together type kit.

ColoradoCarry.com
    Colorado CCW Trainer
    Utah CCW Trainer

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 18to80DDC
    did you do your own welding on this one?
    There's no welding required.

Banned
    Member #
    So how loud is it really? I'm running a 4" straight pipe, and that bugger is deafening, and the noise nazi's nailed me again yesterday... so I guess it's time to fix it.

This cop actually left the dirtbike (2 people on a one seater, lol) he'd pulled over to chase me down, used his lights through one of the busiest intersections in town, and then proceded to inform me "the new cops are cracking down". ALL THIS for a verbal warning about no muffler??? Apparently the guy on the bike couldn't hear him over my tip as I went by. hahahahaha.

ROFL, damn wyotech kids have ruined the noise ordinance for us good UW kids.

So if this really isnt much louder than stock it seems like a good deal to me. Is that a good assumption?

Member #
    Images
    It is louder than stock, but not obnoxiously so, and certainly not loud enough to catch the attention of the PD or get a ticket.

Banned
    Member #
    sweet, thanks for the info. I think i'll go with this one.

I was gonna get this kit, but they don't make one for an 06, so I had a piece bent up and took the muffler out (its already 4 inch) and put a turn down on it I love the sound. If I could only keep the redneck kids from trying to race me down north I would be set. but the best part is the turn down now I can haul something some distance without covering it in soot

Ben
    Check it www.4lockedfilms.com give theses poor guys some money

Member #
    If you put that muffler on backwards, youll have even less backpressure...
    '93 Fullsize Bronco
    SAS'd on 35's
    UGLY

Member #
    Images
    i have a similar looking system, not sure what brand, but the muffler is the same shape, and my set up is loud, everyone says something about how loud it is, but the cops around here don't care it seems, my egt's don't go over 1000 and most of the time it's between 6-800

Member #
    I'll be installing the 4" Summit kit on my 7.3 PSD this morning. Can't wait to get it in there!
    "The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'You want a piece of me?'" ? Robin Williams.

Member #
    Installed the kit on my '03 7.3 a few days ago. Install went much easier than I expected. Including answering the phone about 40 times a bunch of text messages, and fighting a fresh layer of sloppy mud it took me about three hours to install, from start to finish.
    Inside the cab, it's barely noticeable. Outside, it sounds like a quality performance exhaust. Not too quiet. Not too loud.
    Highly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade their exhaust on a budget! $312 shipped to my door!

Member #
    I just put a summit 4in exhaust on my '03 common rail. took me about an hour from start to finish. stupid easy and sounds pretty darn good. I like how it's 4in from the turbo back - my truck was 3.5in to the muffler and the 4in out the back. my egts dropped about 100 degrees across the board. very happy!
    1994 Toyota FZJ80 - elocked, 3in OME lift, 315/75-16 KM2s, Warn 8274.