Thread: three zuks and a jeep - storm mountain 6/25

Member #
    Images

three zuks and a jeep - storm mountain 6/25

Just a few friends went up storm mountain on sunday. Matt, Bill, Jeff, the girls and I went early morning. It rained the night before so the trail was moist but perfect. Found some people that got stuck the day before and helped them out, don't know what they did or what they were thinking.

Member #
    Images
    WOW full size truck ifs no flex on a sharp turn with a rocky ledge there. NO clue how they could have gotten stuck.

Funny part is I've only ran storm in the snow so I have yet to really see that trail. Looked like a nice cool day up there.

might have to go run that here soon.
    Originally Posted by [B]Sound_Man[/B]
    [I]"can't you see I am working here? I don't go down to the corner and slap d!cks out of your mouth when you are working.":lmao: [/I]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jdogg4
    WOW full size truck ifs no flex on a sharp turn with a rocky ledge there. NO clue how they could have gotten stuck.

Funny part is I've only ran storm in the snow so I have yet to really see that trail. Looked like a nice cool day up there.

might have to go run that here soon.
    That spot is a very short pull off. It stops right there where the rocks start. How the hell you could manage getting stuck there is beyond me. I don't see any way unless you were doing something stupid/illegal.
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" Isaac Asimov

Member #
    Images
    It was in a pull off area to camp at. They said they slide down there. but they were side ways. it wasn't on the main trail.

Mattszuki can post a video of it

Member #
    Images

There was no turn, that was a dead end

Here's that video

http://media.putfile.com/Stuck-53

Here are some more pics...

Last edited by Mattszuki; June 27th, 2006 at 05:16 PM.
    Remember, this is supposed to be fun... not a pi$$ing contest

Member #
    Images
    So jeff has a fan club did he get any digits from the fan club???? thats what is what is important. Good work guys.

Member #
    I'm trying to figure out where that truck was in relation to the map...I run storm alot on the ATV but can't picture where that is. Any help? I'd like to check it out.
    2015 Jeep JK a.k.a. "Stocker with Factory Lockers"

Member #
    So jeff has a fan club did he get any digits from the fan club???? thats what is what is important. Good work guys.

I'm sorta thinkin jailbait here...

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by '86Toyota
    I'm sorta thinkin jailbait here...

now when did that ever matter to you kevin???

Oya we ran up there really fast yesterday. forgot how short a run it is with out a few feet of snow. got to the top right before the rain and lightning kicked in. Got under some tree cover and parked for a bit and took a nap in the jeep that rain and lightning was great. It got really muddy up there really fast.

Member #
    Images
    It got really muddy up there really fast.
    REALLY muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by ATV4x4
    I'm trying to figure out where that truck was in relation to the map...I run storm alot on the ATV but can't picture where that is. Any help? I'd like to check it out.

It's right at the clearing, before you head up to the top. There's a trail that shoots off to the left. Our maps in Loveland or I think I could give you the number. It's a small pull off.

Member #
    Images
    Mattsuki - Is that the side trail that goes to the left before the climb through Galuchie Meadow (the long, shale climb)? The climb that starts after that spring on the right side of the trail where it's always wet?

I've always kinda wondered where that trail goes - never run it myself.

Member #
    Images
    I went back up yesterday and did that trail. it goes pretty far back and gets really narrow. but it is fun

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by quadracer812
    it goes pretty far back and gets really narrow. but it is fun
    What's narrow to a Jeep, is comfortable in a Zuk.
    Web Wheeler...with a BOAT!

Member #
    Would any of you, or all of you, want to make another run to Storm Mountain in the next couple of weeks? After the 17th is best. We tried to run it but ended up on some other trail that goes through there. I had a great time and would like to do it again.

Brandon
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants…” — Thomas Jefferson in “Commonplace Book,” 1774-1776

Member #
    Images
    If you post it it will happen.

I think alot of people get to that meddow area and the post shows the arrow to the left but the trail to the top is to the right and up the open area not down. We had some guy in a LJ rubicon with his son that we passed at one point and we never saw them on the top or the way back down. That or the rain sent them back down the mt.

Member #
    Man there were a lot of things done during getting that rig out that could have gotten someone hurt. Be careful when doing recoveries! Do not step over a strap or winch line regradless of if there is a load or not. You never know when one might be on it all of a sudden. Your putting your self at risk, with someone you don't know at one end. Do not stand behind a tire that is spinning. Please be careful folks.

Member #
    Images
    I saw that and when jacking with a hilift never put your face over that bar. they can kick out. Some guy on JU about 5 years ago got kick back and lost his eye and was in the hospital with face head trama for months.

Member #
    Images
    I saw that and when jacking with a hilift never put your face over that bar. they can kick out. Some guy on JU about 5 years ago got kick back and lost his eye and was in the hospital with face head trama for months.
    those were the people we pulled out, they are probably not on here but thanks for the hint

Looks to me like that guy is lucky he didn't f-up his truck.

You all just needed a bigger truck to yank him the fawk out of there.
    Scott

The General - 84K5 with some upgrades

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MrK5-Scott
    Looks to me like that guy is lucky he didn't f-up his truck.

You all just needed a bigger truck to yank him the fawk out of there.
    No bigger truck needed. A winch, snatchblock, & tree protector. Put the tree protector on, connect the end of the winch line to it. Put the snatch block on the FS rig. Winch is on jeep. Tree & jeep get half the pull (each) that the FS rig gets. Jeep stays put that way & FS rig moves. Simple pulley & mechanical advantage principles, really. For that matter, one of the zuk's could have done it. If you need more immobile mass, tie another zuk to the one with the winch, turn off the engine w/ tranny in granny & set brake.
    Last edited by 86Original; July 8th, 2006 at 10:59 AM.
    Original owner: '86 4Runner, Marlin Crawler 4.7:1 Single, Aussie locker front/rear, TRD level 1 cam, BJ Spacers, 4Crawler Sliderz, BudBuilt skids, Warn M8 in a TJM, KillerToyTop, blah blah blah

Member #
    Images
    I was dragging two Samurai's with a single line pull on my CJ7. Bigger isn't a bad thing.

Member #
    Where is this place - any directions? Seems like I looked on 4x4.net and didn't see it. I'd like to get the "Varmint"s tires on some new dirt sometime if anyone goes again maybe give me a shout and I'll be the caboose..
    '91 XJ 4.0L HO 4.5"
    '89 MJ 4.0L 5"
    '95 ZJ 4.0L HO

Member #
    Storm Mountain is located a few miles NW of Drake Colorado. Try this link, http://www.4x4trails.net/db_view_tra...a6b3ab75669c12

One of my favorite trails, terrain changes every time I go up.

Member #
    Holy Crap thats a looong way from my driveway (0 I'd have to make it an overnighter. Are there places to pitch a tent?

Member #
    Images
    all over

Member #
    So there is camping there, but how is the wheeling?? Is it worth the drive?? How does it compare to say, Boulder Carnage/Lefthand??
    '93 Fullsize Bronco
    SAS'd on 35's
    UGLY