Thread: Wheeler Lake 06/26

Member #

Wheeler Lake 06/26

Managed to hook up with a large group that was on the last few legs of a 12 day wheeling trip which hit some of the finer spots in GJ, Moab, and including trails down by Fairplay. Everyone in the group was extremely out going and more than willing to allow me to tag along for the day.

The combination of dense brush and mid-trail streams was extremely cool.

Here's the first section that gave us a little difficulties. The snow was deep and up-hill enough to make it difficult to pass. We ended up running the driver's side tires up a small foot wide dirt path on the left keeping the passenger's side tires up on 4 feet of snow. It was off-camber enough that I ended up having only the driver's side wheels on the ground for a few feet. From inside it seemed stable to me.

The climb to the lake was rather straight forward...

Once on top there was a small section of snow that was a little deeper than it appeared. Bigger tires did the trick...

And the lake...

Not bad for wheelin' on a weekday.
    Last edited by Scorpion; June 27th, 2006 at 05:39 AM.

Member #
    Sweet pics, i cant wait to go up there this weekend. looks like there is still plently of snow for me to go snowboarding.
    85 4runner, 38s, locked f/r, duals.
    95 tacoma ext cab v6.

all loaded up and ready to try it tomorrow
    '91 YJ with some stuff
    proud ><> vet 12rd Loon
    PM me for information on quality handmade CCW holsters

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DADA_JEEP
    all loaded up and ready to try it tomorrow
    I really wanted to meet you guys down there but couldn't get Tuesday off. Hope you guys have a great day! I'll catch the next one.

Matt

Member #
    Images
    Damn....you suck for taking a nice trip like that while the rest of us are sitting here behind computers.

It looks like you had a good time. I guess I'm just jealous. Where are the pictures of the two "obstacles" that wheeler lake has to offer?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwreck
    Damn....you suck for taking a nice trip like that while the rest of us are sitting here behind computers.

It looks like you had a good time. I guess I'm just jealous. Where are the pictures of the two "obstacles" that wheeler lake has to offer?
    Some perks of working for yourself I guess. The only part about the trip I didn't like was that Sunday I ran Chinaman's Gulch so I "got to" drive down to that area two days in a row.

Lack of pictures = bringing up the rear while running with people you just introduced yourself to. Damn shame too, not all of the tires spent the entire day on the ground.

I should have just made you take the day off...

Member #
    Images
    Nice pics...i ran into those scrambler guys one day at the gas station after they ran billings, i was out biking so i felt pretty fawking cool talking to a some dudes in some WAY built rigs with my spandex shorts and race jersey

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally
    Nice pics...i ran into those scrambler guys one day at the gas station after they ran billings, i was out biking so i felt pretty fawking cool talking to a some dudes in some WAY built rigs with my spandex shorts and race jersey
    Extremely nice group of guys. My guess is the overlooked your "attire".

Member #
    Hey, its been awhile, (well only a year but I drove up) since I was up there, is there enoough room to turn around and park a large (ie two place) trailer at the trailhead/dam? I recall parking, but I don't remember how big it was.
    '01 RamV, 5" lift, 42" Iroks

Member #
    Nice pics Matt. Looks like you had a fun weekend.
    The good old days-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flyier19

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dodge
    Hey, its been awhile, (well only a year but I drove up) since I was up there, is there enoough room to turn around and park a large (ie two place) trailer at the trailhead/dam? I recall parking, but I don't remember how big it was.
    Just drive BITCH.

Ya know, Phil was right, he DOES have a sister!

Although I would imagine the Avalanche and small trailer might work, but the long one may pose issues (realizing that the small one is potentially unavailable). You could probably park it doen below on the access road, and then drive the dodge in, but the PITA factor of it all may lean toward just driving the Dodge, not like its a LONG way.
    Take care,
    Keith
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Member #
    Images
    I'm with Brian on this one.. Must be nice to go wheelin' whenever you want...

Looks like a good time though

Great wheeling with another XJ, even though mine was stuck back in Fairplay broken on the trailer.

Some more pics of the trip, and moab pics, here.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...354/Moab_6-06/
    http://trailkrawlers4x4.org/tkbbs/viewtopic.php?t=3350

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dodge
    Yeah. Just before the bridge there's plenty of room. That's where I left mine for the day and there was still room for another couple with no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by andyr354
    Great wheeling with another XJ, even though mine was stuck back in Fairplay broken on the trailer.

Some more pics of the trip, and moab pics, here.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...354/Moab_6-06/
    http://trailkrawlers4x4.org/tkbbs/viewtopic.php?t=3350
    Andy...nice meeting you. Please do make sure you give me a call next time you're in town so we can give that XJ of yours a workout...looks sweet.

Matt

Member #
    Thanks Scorpion.

Keith -- Bite me. The Dodge is not road worthy, until it gets some diff covers, and new wheels. I am not driving up there on 10 psi and with no gear oil in the diffs.