Thread: Redcone, Wheeler Lake

Redcone, Wheeler Lake

Redcone is open to the top, but the drift across Webster is as big as I have ever seen it this late in the year, and the way out through Montezuma is plugged with some big drifts as well, so do it as an in and out for a while.

Wheeler lake is about 3/4 open. Very well equipped rigs could probably make it, otherwise give it about 3 weeks.

And a big to the dumbass in the brown chevy blazer, license number 926 MXJ, who sees fit to drive wherever he pleases, proceeding across mountain tundra because his rig can't make it through the drifts. We should of left his butt stuck in the snow below Radical Hill.
    One ton CJ-7

Member #
    x2 about the chevy blazer!

I will try to get pics up tonight of the trip.
    The Never Ending Commando Project continues...

Smile for the camera, you tundra tearing douchebag:

Member #
    People need to STAY ON THE TRAIL !!! Sure hope the FS takes a bite of this guy.
    :usa:
    Stay on the TRAIL!! Help keep them OPEN!
    ATVs have to stay on the trail TOO!!!!!
    [COLOR=Red]□ ||||||| □[/COLOR]

we'll be trying to get to the lake on the 27th, any pics of the drift that stopped you?
    '91 YJ with some stuff
    proud ><> vet 12rd Loon
    PM me for information on quality handmade CCW holsters

On Wheeler, no, I don't think so. It is pretty big; could only see the top of a forest service carsonite so it is about four feet deep. It's right at a switchback kind of Z turn area where you have to climb as well. Dual lockers are needed and winches as well, although on the 27th that might be different. There are trees to winch to (with a treesaver of course) but it takes a long cable to reach them. With only one winch in our group and two rigs with only one locker we turned around.

Funny sidenote: on the way down the trail we run into a new landcruiser heading up solo. We tell him about the drift; he informs us with a bit of attitude that he has lockers and he'll be fine. We stop for lunch; fifteen minutes later the Landcruiser is heading back down

Quote Originally Posted by Sprnklrmn
    Funny sidenote: on the way down the trail we run into a new landcruiser heading up solo. We tell him about the drift; he informs us with a bit of attitude that he has lockers and he'll be fine. We stop for lunch; fifteen minutes later the Landcruiser is heading back down
    SOME of those guys have that attitude. Did he even make eye contact on the way down??

J.D.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc
    SOME of those guys have that attitude. Did he even make eye contact on the way down??

J.D.

Believe me, I have no "brand stuck-up-ed-ness" at all, and wouldn't dream of ascribing such to a broad class of wheelers; we all know, however, that there are those out there who think themselves a bit superior based on what they are driving, and this fellow went shooting down past us pretty fast. Maybe he just realized he was late for a meeting or something

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprnklrmn
    Believe me, I have no "brand stuck-up-ed-ness" at all, and wouldn't dream of ascribing such to a broad class of wheelers; we all know, however, that there are those out there who think themselves a bit superior based on what they are driving, and this fellow went shooting down past us pretty fast. Maybe he just realized he was late for a meeting or something
    You have experienced what the british may refer to as "tea time" we in the land cruiser world have "starbucks time" most likely he forgot and had to hurry back down as not to be late as we know we'll have to engage the lockers to get over the curbs/speedbumps.

Plus it's in the Owners Manual, under Section 7: Owners Attitude

Be sure to use remarks and look down upon other vehicle brands. use comments such as

"It's alright...I have lockers" while sipping your Iced Mocha Latte

and

"It's not just a toyota, it's a LAND CRUISER" while reading your PDA and wall street journal...

not all of us are *That* bad *ALL* the time...well...OK, maybe we are...

Member #
    Images
    Sprnklrmn - make sure you report the blazer to the proper ranger district along with the pics

Dada Jeep We are currently planned to run wheeler on the 24th. I'll pack my chains and report back when it's open ( and I'll be winching a couple LC behind me )
    Jeff

hippie, sounds good, you can try to open it if you like, and if you are still there on the 27th we'll get you back out......

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DADA_JEEP
    hippie, sounds good, you can try to open it if you like, and if you are still there on the 27th we'll get you back out......
    DADA - If Hippie gets stuck, I'LL get him out!
    Bonny - 98TJ :pbj:

[FONT=Impact][SIZE=5][COLOR=blue][B][URL="http://www.staythetrail.org/"][COLOR=blue]Stay[/COLOR][COLOR=yellow]The[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Trail[/COLOR][/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

big words there Kitty

sound like famous LAST words

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippie
    Sprnklrmn - make sure you report the blazer to the proper ranger district along with the pics
    Ditto I turned in 2 last year and with plates they can fine these individuals.
    [COLOR=DarkRed][B]Kev - Alpine Spirit[COLOR=Black] - 2002 X, Chopped, Swapped and Locked[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
    [URL="http://jeffreal.com"]Mtn Real Estate [/URL]

Member #
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8EcNGzVw4cPag

Sorry this took so long...here are some pics of both redcone and wheeler.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 82'CJ7
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8EcNGzVw4cPag

Sorry this took so long...here are some pics of both redcone and wheeler.
    great pics. . .the ones where the snow is flying turned out nice!!

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK!

Dada Jeep We are currently planned to run wheeler on the 24th. I'll pack my chains and report back when it's open ( and I'll be winching a couple LC behind me )
    I dont think so I'll put the chains on this year. Besides you will need something to anchor to when you winch across the drift.
    Dan
    93 FZJ 80 with some stuff

Originally Posted by DADA_JEEP
    DADA_JEEP you will be runnin an open trail on th 27th.

Member #
    Images
    I may go up there Saturday...we'll see if I can make a dent in the drifts.
    David
    Modified CJ7
    Not a trailer Queen and still a Jeep! :)

Quote Originally Posted by convert
    DADA_JEEP you will be runnin an open trail on th 27th.

we shall see my friend

open cause of you?

or cause of me?

Member #
    I'm heading to red cone on Saturday.

This is the only time of year where one can go the other way on red cone as it is a one way trail most of the time. And I would like to climb it.
    I am thinking it will take dual lockers and good tires to climb. I have both.
    Looking foward to it.