Thread: Shale Mountain/Eagle Rock 6-3-2006 w/ pics

Member #

Shale Mountain/Eagle Rock 6-3-2006 w/ pics

Went up Shale mtn, or 376A...basically a long dead end trail with a fantastic view at the end. Nothing hard.

Then we went up 379 on the other side of the road and met up with Eagle Rock...and went down Eagle Rock. Fun times.

All the pics, here: http://hodonetworks.com/4x4 - June 3rd, 2006/
    Current - '00 TJ - 35's, 3" lift, Etc.
    Former - '05 Rubicon LJ, 4.5" RE, 35" BFG MT's, JKS Disco's.

Member #
    Looks cool, i may go out in that area tommorrow. nice rubi too.
    2003 Toyota Super Taco

He will just stay online here, hard to get punched in the face behind a keyboard - Chris Halvorson

Member #
    Looks like its pretty dry up there, usually there is a small creek running down that road.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Tony Blair, British Prime Minister

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman
    Looks like its pretty dry up there, usually there is a small creek running down that road.
    yup, thats the story with most of the trails up there that used to have water.

Member #
    I haven't been on the trail in a couple months, but from the looks of your pictures (8th and 9th pics from the end) the red XJ is using an illegal bypass on Eagle Rock. I am sure you guys aren't the first to use it. Wanted to let you know that it really isn't part of the trail.
    79 CJ7 37's 4.88's Locked

Member #
    Images
    Actually, I always thought that was the bypass to the upper Rock Garden.

would like some clarification tho. as we run the trail from time to time.
    Hillary Clinton has killed more people than my gun has.

Member #
    The spot that the XJ is on is at the top of the hill at the corner with the rock. The part that he is on never used to be part of the trail.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jers79CJ
    The spot that the XJ is on is at the top of the hill at the corner with the rock. The part that he is on never used to be part of the trail.
    The turn has gotten bad and less built rigs use the part off the trail to the right (going up Eagle Rock) to get up it. This is why the trails are getting closed because of illegal by-passes.

Member #
    Images
    I think Jers is right, but it sure looks like it's been used a lot.
    [URL="http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?p=1617763#post1617763"]90 Cherokee LTD[/URL]
    Mike

Member #
    How does somebody know that a bypass is legal or not when they have never run the trail. Other than helpful info after the fact? Seriously I am new to all the trails on this side of the hill and when something looks well traveled its hard to tell. I see this all the time here on the sight "dude thats an illegal bypass" how do we fix this? I don't want to be where I am not supposed to be. Not being an a**hat here seriously just want to do the right thing on the trails and not just eagle rock but any trail.
    Wandering in the wilderness.

Member #
    Images
    It's extremely hard to know unless you are very familiar with the trail. Bighorn 4x4 has spent countless hours maintaining this trail and placed countless signs closing spurs only to see them torn down the very next day even. They are having a work day on the 18th I believe if you'd like to help them. Go to their web site and contact them. Other than that, I'm not really sure how you can "know" without ever having run it before. I'm not sure if 4x4trails.org(?) would have the info, but that's probably a good place to start.