Member #

Exclamation Durango Wont move!! Electrical maybe???

Hi everyone!
    I need some diagnosis help here.
    This is a 98 durango with the 5.9. It pulled up to a stop light, and just didnt ever move again. I assumed it was the transmission, but im not so sure. Heres why-
    Fluid is clean and dosent smell burnt. I dropped the pan and changed the filter and the pan has no pieces or chunks in it. Only small amount of filings on the magnet. Then i noticed, that if the T-case is in neutral, i ll put the trans in drive, but then i cant put it back into park without the trans doing that clicking/grinding noise like your shifiting into park while moving.
    So it sounds like somethings turning in there, could my T-case be bad? Also, if i hesitate in neutral on the t-case, it will grind dropping down into 4low. Seems like the same thing most trucks do with an automatic thats working.
    Im just not sure if the grinding i hear, is telling me the output of the trans is spinning. It dosent even slip or anything, it just does absoluteley nothing, even with all tires in the air.
    -heres the other piece, i can look in the drain hole on the T/c and see that theres a some slack in the chain. enough so i can tell that its touching the inside of the t-case housing when i spin the wheels. but i can lock the t-case in 4low and it still locks all 4 wheels together as it should(i checked it by jacking the whole car up)
    So, All this said, how can i check if the trans is spinning for sure, or tell if the t-case has a broken part or something?
    Any help???
    Thanks
    Brian
    Last edited by jimminyC; June 5th, 2006 at 10:01 PM.
    '89 XJ, Chopped, trimmed, dented, caged, 38.5 SX's, 14Bolt, HP Dana 60...cammo seat covers...blue

Member #
    Yep, it sounds like your T-Case is in neutral. Why it makes a clicking/grinding noise when put from drive back to park is because park has two pins that fall into a gear locking that gear up. When you put it into drive you start to spin the output shaft which spins the gear with hole in it.

If I were you I would pull the T-case and do a rebuild. It will have shift problems if too much gunk is in it.

-Ryan
    I need a new hobby

Member #
    i dropped the t-case fluid, and it dosent smell good, but no chunks of metal fell out either.
    Im wondering, if the front and rear wheels are able to lock together, does that rule out the t-case??? Or, is there some kind of shaft or something that may be broken that would still allow the shifting in and out of 4wheel drive. Also, heres another thing....when the trans is in park, the truck dosent roll, so, that sort of rules out the t-case maybe also.

I don't think it is the T-case since it will lock the axles in park.I am thinking maybe torque converter or tranny pump.The Dodge trannies are known for going out and the torque converter is a pos.Ask me how I know!!I have a '00 ram 2500.I had to have the tranny rebuilt once already.Take it to Ammco(sp?)It was $1700 for a rebuild installed.They will check it over for you.There is one on North St.As I am sure you know.
    CJ/buggy,FI406,465,205,D60,14boltFF on beadlocked 39.50 swampers.See build.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=134201
    '70Jeepster, 225,T-14,D20,10bolt,12bolt on 34/9.50/15 Swampers
    www.tubebuggies.com

Member #
    My mom had her van done at ammco 3 times because of issues after getting it back, but it was the same shop and in virginia, hopefully its fixable, if not ill buy it.
    2003 Toyota Super Taco

He will just stay online here, hard to get punched in the face behind a keyboard - Chris Halvorson

Member #
    Yea, i guess it will end up at Aamco for some diagnosis. I cant do much myself right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cheepin
    I don't think it is the T-case since it will lock the axles in park.I am thinking maybe torque converter or tranny pump.The Dodge trannies are known for going out and the torque converter is a pos.Ask me how I know!!I have a '00 ram 2500.I had to have the tranny rebuilt once already.Take it to Ammco(sp?)It was $1700 for a rebuild installed.They will check it over for you.There is one on North St.As I am sure you know.
    I agree, if it acted the same with the t-case in neutral as it does with it in gear, then I would suspect the t-case. Since it sounds like the grinding doesn't happen if the t-case is gear, then I would suspect the tranny. Also, does putting the tranny in Park keep it from rolling? If so, then that is a further clue that it's the tranny and not the t-case.
    '50 CJ-3A, Mustang SVO 2.3L Turbo, T-98, D-18, Warn OD, PTO Winch, D30, FFD44, lockrights in both.

Member #
    yes, it wont roll in park, so i think im leaning toward tranny. Im wondering though. I know theres so much junk in those auto's, but im hoping that its a torque converter or something similar. If only i had the tools to find out what the problem is.

Member #
    update:
    Decided to try and yank the thing today and as i was unhooking the electrical connections on the side i noticed that the wires were horroble. They were so corroded through where they connected to the plug that there was almost no wire still connected.
    Im wondering, could this be my problem? Would these wires cause the tranny to do absolutely nothing if not working properly???
    Also, to mix it up a bit, i noticed that the level dosent change in the trans when i start it....thinking the pump would cause that. but, i guess im still holding out hope that the wires with mirraculously fix the trans.
    Any trans guru's out there?