Accident on the trail

I'm posting this as a warning to everyone who is running automatic transmissions.

A couple of buddies and I decided to make a midnight run up to Miller Rock (just outside of Allens Park) on Saturday night. It was the first time to take my Jeep Wagoneer 'wheeling. The waggy is SOA with 3" body lift and 37's.

I got the waggy back in december and been using it as my DD ever since with no problems.

Anyways, I get out on the trail and discover that the throttle cable was freyed (sp) and was causing the jeep to surge when trying to feather the throttle. I attempted to repair the damage to no avail.

I ended up proceeding down the trail, but the surging got worse and worse. We only made it a few more yards and the throttle decided to stick almost wide open. While in 4LO the brakes don't stop a 360 at full throttle so I shut the off the ignition, slammed it into PARK and got out even though it was pointed up hill. The E-brake hasn't worked since I got the jeep, so I didn't engage that.

At this point the jeep is shut off, in PARK and pointing up hill. I climbed out to pop the hood while TJ CHIC stayed inside. I reached to lift the hood and BAM!! the jeep started rolling downhill, around a turn, with a 30 foot drop-off on the side of the trail. TJ CHIC thought fast and steered the jeep from the passenger side, around the curve and smack into the front of my buddies '95 Land Cruiser who was behind us on the trail

My buddies 'Cruiser sustained damage to the grill, A/C condenser and bumper. The waggy has a slight dent in the factory rear bumper

The jeep had never given me a seconds problem with anything before, much less with PARK (or throttle cable for all that goes).

The moral of the story is simple: NEVER, EVER, EVER trust that PARK will hold a vehicle on a hill.

I've already pulled the tranny to inspect the clutches and the parking prawl. I suspect the parking lever is bent as it's difficult to enage park. No biggie as those 727's are a dime a dozen at PNS.

Thank GOD nobody was hurt

Crazy man...glad everyone is okay!!
    Don't take life to serious...you'll never make it out alive!

Member #
    Images
    Damn, that sux... Another tip to help prevent these situations:
    Always turn the wheel so if you do roll, it rolls into the hill.
    I only have one eye! ;)

sounds familiar to a story i was involved with on chinaman's last year......

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...ight=chinamans
    '91 YJ with some stuff
    proud ><> vet 12rd Loon
    PM me for information on quality handmade CCW holsters

Member #
    Images
    Really glad no body was injured, pride excepted of course.

Those pins that hold the transmission in park are weak and I'm suprised more people aren't involved in that type of accident. IMO, it is good idea to turn off the vehicle, set the parking brake and if a auto, put in park. If a manual, turn it off, set the brake and put it in a low gear.

Moral is, be really carefull and watch how you leave the vehicle parked and where it will roll if it did. Rocks under the tires are handy also.

Again, good no one was hurt!
    "Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight."
    < Col. Jeff Cooper > (1929 - 1968)

I'm putting line locks and a parking brake in the CJ just so I have a double redundant way to hold my Jeep on a hill.

Everyone should have at least some kind of parking brake setup.
    Check out my free gear ratio calculator: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

... and kick a rock under a tire.

Member #
    That sucks! and that is one interesting bumper idea with some bad engineering! It helped protect *some* but looked like mainly a damage multiplier. I would definitley change how that bumper attaches and the angle that it's going to deflect rocks/poles/other vehicles.

It basically just acted like a lever and put A LOT of stress on the front of that frame...is it bent?

Member #
    ben,that is what happens with all giant bumpers.i dont understand why people make them,and use them???winch mount,ok,tow point ok.but it doesnt need to be that big,or so heavy.it is a lot cheaper to replace a lesser bumper,than do have the frame repaired,and then a new bumper.let the bumper kill itself to protect my frame every time!!

Member #
    my tj is an auto,and i never ever park anything where it can get away.and shame on you for going with a parking brake not working!this was not so much an auto trans issue,as much as a bad idea by the driver.
    and drinking while driving to boot!!!
    Last edited by Gunter; May 16th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.

Rock Chuck.... For sure... Every time I get out on any slope. My AX-15 has POPed out one time... I will not let that happen again. I don\'t like the E-brake, I always for get its on...lol but I do use it on slopes. I don\'t trust it..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhugger75
    Rock Chuck.... For sure... Every time I get out on any slope. My AX-15 has POPed out one time... I will not let that happen again. I don\'t like the E-brake, I always for get its on...lol but I do use it on slopes. I don\'t trust it..
    just like gun safties!!LOL i never trust stuff,but i am very psyco about my parking brake.i guess use both when ya can--in gear/park w parking brake.
    scott

Member #
    Good advice so far about how to park on a hill. I would emphasize to ALWAYS have a properly functioning emergency brake. An additional thing I do is to turn the wheels so that if it starts rolling, it will run into a nearby barrier (rock wall, tree, etc.) that will stop it instead of going over a cliff.
    '02 Wrangler, 4.0L, auto, D44/D30, ARB lockers, 4" lift, 33" BFG MTs, Eagle 589s, Warn XD9000i, Wilderness Swing-Away, Rancho RS9000s, etc.
    Other ride: '06 Power Wagon on 35" BFG MT/KM2s, etc.

Member #
    Images
    Whoa! Glad everyone is ok.

Blake are you still running a NP228/229 in that thing. May want to take a look a the T-Case also, had mine slip out of gear and go tumbling down the driveway. It was Due to the T-case being basically dry. Figured that the VC is dying, (dead/dying VC will cause the T-case to slip into Neutral) but will deal with it, when it refuses to move.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MadProjection
    Whoa! Glad everyone is ok.

Blake are you still running a NP228/229 in that thing. May want to take a look a the T-Case also, had mine slip out of gear and go tumbling down the driveway. It was Due to the T-case being basically dry. Figured that the VC is dying, (dead/dying VC will cause the T-case to slip into Neutral) but will deal with it, when it refuses to move.
    That's a good point, if the t-case popped into neutral, it wouldn't matter if the transmission was in park...
    All is good advise and I don't disagree with any of it, but I don't trust e-brakes either, I've had more than one occasion where the e-brake popped loose. Either way, try to avoid parking on hills.

Member #
    I always put the tranny in neutral and let the truck settle than put in park. if I cant avoid parking on a hill I always immediatly chock the tires.

I've had mine roll out of control twice on me. not fun
    Jku on 37's just like everyone else

Member #
    Had to share an unattended vehicle getting away story (picture link below). I needed a cummins turbo diesel for a repower project, so dug this one up off 285 West of Baily heading towards Fairplay.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...=23833&width=4

The guy was working on his driveshaft, fairly level spot, but a minor slant to it. In park, ebrake set, and pulled the driveshaft to get to the carrier bearing. It was in 2wd so "park" no longer counted. The e-brake popped while he was rocking it back/forth to get the bearing out. Off it went backwards, ever so slowly, but attempts to chase it and stop it failed (it ran over his leg, so there was a slight pause before he had the wits to chase!). Needless to say, it picked up speed, very steep hillside. Missed several trees, crossed a road, must've air'd out there, missed another couple trees and started to roll. A big tree caught it, obviously. Frame is toast drivers/passengers side. Drove it onto the trailer in 4wd though. And since the front was unaffected, a perfect donor (intercooler, etc). There is bark and pitch in that tree-sized impact in the creases. Busted yokes on the rear driveshaft (hanging there), busted receiver hitch, etc. too.

The axles/tranny now belong to a guy on this board. Engine/intercooler is powering an old crew 4x4 ford of mine, the rest was parted out to cover the cost.

Ouch. later,
    jon.

I keep a midget behind my rear seat and just call him when I need him to stand on the brake. Gotta love the little people!
    www.TwistedDV.com ***The leader in rock crawling entertainment***
    www.rockzombieoutlaws.com
    4 seater 4runner buggy, 39" Red label Krawlers, Howe full hydro, 60's, 16" 2.5 King coilovers f/r,4.7s, PRP seats