Thread: Slaughterhouse Idiots

Member #

Slaughterhouse Idiots

I'm posting this just in case the idiots responsible read this forum. I found their abandoned smoldering fire that they illegally had during a fire ban in Slaughterhouse over the weekend. I couldn't find their Mommy so I had to put their fire out for them.
    On a happier note, the mud pit is starting to get nice and goopy, but still needs a little more rain.

Member #
    Images
    I live in unincorporated Jeff Co and there is a fire ban there also. It is a very real concern. It's just too bad those dumasses weren't there as you could get the license # and report it to the sheriff.

Glad you put it out.
    "Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight."
    < Col. Jeff Cooper > (1929 - 1968)

Member #
    We put out a fire there two weeks ago. Some bonehead left it smoldering in the parking/staging area across the street. This was on Sunday morning the week before last.

Dave S.
    Dave S.
    '05 Rubicon Unlimited

Member #
    Images
    I don't think you have to call the sheriff. I am pretty sure it is legal to shoot them and claim that they were a threat to your life.

Just my .02. I hate wild fires.

Later

Bud

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Budman
    I don't think you have to call the sheriff. I am pretty sure it is legal to shoot them and claim that they were a threat to your life.

Just my .02. I hate wild fires.

Later

Bud
    Amen to what you said. I used to be a firefighter and couldn't agree more. Shoot first ask questions later.

Member #
    Images
    Thanks for putting out the fire. Amazing how people don't get how forest fires work. Ron White is right, you can't fix stupid.
    TRAIL HUGGER - Enuf said.

Member #
    Images
    Nice job Curt.

The boys and I put out a fire awhile back on Bill Moore. It still had flames and hot coals.

You going to GSW for sure?
    My Jeep is not an SUV and your SUV is not a Jeep
    Support the Grand Slam West Sponsors
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=11024

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman
    On a happier note, the mud pit is starting to get nice and goopy, but still needs a little more rain.

Not to burst your bubble, but the FS closed the mud pits on Slaughterhouse 2 years ago. Please stay out of them and ask others in there to do so.

Member #
    Images
    really? no point in running slaughter house if you can't play in the mud pits at the top.
    So this baby seal walks into this club...
    Lunatic #9.
    كافر

that's my thoughts, but for me it's only fun when frozen, don't like mud, but that time we ran it and it was frozen some of those lines were fun
    '91 YJ with some stuff
    proud ><> vet 12rd Loon
    PM me for information on quality handmade CCW holsters

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by YJgirl
    Not to burst your bubble, but the FS closed the mud pits on Slaughterhouse 2 years ago. Please stay out of them and ask others in there to do so.
    Wow, you would think people knew this. every trip report I see on slaughterhouse, most pictures are of the mud pit.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=sienna]Rock Mafia[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [URL]http://www.trailheaders.net[/URL]

I called the FS last year and they said they were still open (and never closed, with no intention of being closed). I'll call them again.
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 4" lift, 37s
    Queen Lunatic #6
    TrailDamage.com Founder

Member #
    You must be thinking of Stump Hill. That got closed down 2 years ago but the mud pits are still open. Sure would be nice if someone could work with the USFS to get it opened again, but when something is closed down, it usually stays closed forever.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn WJ
    Nice job Curt.

The boys and I put out a fire awhile back on Bill Moore. It still had flames and hot coals.

You going to GSW for sure?
    That's teaching your boys good stuff. I used all of my drinking water to put it out and when that was gone I used my hands to scoop up dirt to throw on it cause I didn't have a shovel. We have to stick together and do whatever it takes to keep these morons from burning the forests down.

Definitely going to Grand Slam, just signed up for Golden Spike.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman
    That's teaching your boys good stuff. I used all of my drinking water to put it out and when that was gone I used my hands to scoop up dirt to throw on it cause I didn't have a shovel. We have to stick together and do whatever it takes to keep these morons from burning the forests down.

Definitely going to Grand Slam, just signed up for Golden Spike.
    army surplus shovel works great takes up little space in the jeep when folded up. One of the best camping/trail tools out there.

Good job putting that fire out. I've had to do that a few times up north here in Cherokee and redfeather park.
    Originally Posted by [B]Sound_Man[/B]
    [I]"can't you see I am working here? I don't go down to the corner and slap d!cks out of your mouth when you are working.":lmao: [/I]

Member #
    Images
    I just got off the phone with the South Platte Ranger District - the mud pits on Slaughterhouse Gulch have indeed been closed. 303-275-5610

My post was not to tell you where you can and cannot go. My post was written to keep trails open. It is your job to choose what is the right thing to do.

The way I see it, there are two perspectives:

1) You play in the mud pits that you now know are closed despite no adequate signing due to signs being shot at or removed. You can: have fun, get all muddy, have a blast for the day and let your experience level soar due to playing in the mud, and have the memories that will last a lifetime of that day.
    or
    2) You want to play in the mud pits knowing that people playing in areas they should not, but do so anyway, is a main reason why 4-wheel drive roads and trails become closed. Also knowing that the hour and a half of fun and the memories you had of playing in the mud may last your lifetime, but you effectively added fuel to the fire to close that area, and others like it, permenantly for future generations beyond your lifetime. Thus staying out of the mud is your decision.

It is your decision to make, choose wisely.

I think over the years I've been to SH trail at least twice. I think each time I was there it was early spring. Never even considered going into the mud pits, which were dry each time I was there. I totally agree with keeping out of the mud pits if the land management people have closed this area. But, I couldn't help myself from thinking; what harm could possibly be done to the environment if four wheeling idiots want to attempt going through the mud pits???
    Granted, I haven't be on this trail for several years, and trails conditions change each year. But, so what if the pits get bigger and mudder??? Mud pits are natural containment tanks, it's not like the mud is going anywhere except stuck on/in the 4x4 rig. I just would like to understand what could possibly be the reasoning for closing the mud pits.
    It seems to me that some trail issues are simply the results of over-zealous land management people that mean well enough, but have been brain-washed by extreme environmentalists that are "pulling at straws" to close all wilderness trails to OHV's. I sometimes think that what these exteme elitists want for wilderness for us, is asphalt roads to a scenic overlooks at the fringe of the forest with picnic tables and wine bistros al fresco!

well, from what i was told, that used to be a meadow, no longer the case, and over the last two season i have personally watched it get bigger deeper and seeing the erosion get worse......

Quote Originally Posted by DADA_JEEP
    well, from what i was told, that used to be a meadow, no longer the case, and over the last two season i have personally watched it get bigger deeper and seeing the erosion get worse......
    errosion get worse??? I haven't been there recently, what do you mean by errosion??? The mud pits I'm aware of on that trail were there 10 years ago, and the pits were longer than they were deep. Doesn't take much traffic to cause mud pits to become larger. If there was a meadow, it was a long time ago. As I remember the mud pits, the area was relatively flat and little chance of the mud running out of the area into a stream??? So, back to my original question, what's wrong with having a mud pit for four wheelers on that trail??? Is there some sound environmental reason for closing the pits???
    Personally, I don't care. I go out of my way to avoid any mud hole. But, I'm just attempting to understand what harm is being done to the environment by allowing four wheelers to dunk their junk in a mud pit on that trail.

Member #
    Images
    not to mention how would anyone on that trail have any idea they were closed?

theres a drain off the mud pits tht last year was nothing more than a bump this year it is about 2ft wide and about 1.5 ft deep, i consider that erosion, the ground is all tore up and any time water runs off it takes more dirt with it. I have to admit, when they are frozen or dry i like to play in that area too, but i hate mud so when it's nasty, i would rather just watch.....

and jeff is right, there's no way to tell that area is closed, in fact so many of the closed areas on that trail are driven on it's hard to tell what's open and what's not.

what's the word on the mogul section at the beginning of the trail, was told first time i ran it that it was open and last time i ran it there were trees accross it (with tracks around those)

Member #
    theres a drain off the mud pits tht last year was nothing more than a bump this year it is about 2ft wide and about 1.5 ft deep, i consider that erosion, the ground is all tore up and any time water runs off it takes more dirt with it. I have to admit, when they are frozen or dry i like to play in that area too, but i hate mud so when it's nasty, i would rather just watch.....

and jeff is right, there's no way to tell that area is closed, in fact so many of the closed areas on that trail are driven on it's hard to tell what's open and what's not.

what's the word on the mogul section at the beginning of the trail, was told first time i ran it that it was open and last time i ran it there were trees accross it (with tracks around those)
    please tell me you dont mean stump hill?closed!

Member #
    Stump hill was clearly marked closed a couple opf years ago.

Dave S.

Member #
    no he's not referring to stump hill, Its a smaller mogul section before you even get to stump hill. I remember running up that once too, but like you said the last time i was there a few weeks ago there were some trees blocking it so i went around the bypass area. not sure if its ment to be closed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by atfrith
    no he's not referring to stump hill, Its a smaller mogul section before you even get to stump hill. I remember running up that once too, but like you said the last time i was there a few weeks ago there were some trees blocking it so i went around the bypass area. not sure if its ment to be closed or not.
    exactly what i meant, thanks, and the area you went is not the bypass, i am pretty sure it's the actual trail (to the left of that section, right?)

no, not stump hill, i can read that sign on my own, thanks

Member #
    Was up there today there was no trees over the mogul section there were tress at the bottom of stump hill on one side mud pits were gunky in like a 6x7 foot area. My buddys k5 ran the loop in 2wd, i walked up everything that was there but i need to chop my rear fenders badly.
    85 4runner, 38s, locked f/r, duals.
    95 tacoma ext cab v6.

Member #
    exactly what i meant, thanks, and the area you went is not the bypass, i am pretty sure it's the actual trail (to the left of that section, right?)

no, not stump hill, i can read that sign on my own, thanks
    i am sorry if i sounded like an ass...........did not mean to

Quote Originally Posted by Gunter
    i am sorry if i sounded like an ass...........did not mean to
    nope, just wanted to be clear, if it's signed i know better, but if it ain't........

well if it ain't nobody can tell and this is where the ambiguity comes from

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMPERO
    errosion get worse??? I haven't been there recently, what do you mean by errosion??? The mud pits I'm aware of on that trail were there 10 years ago, and the pits were longer than they were deep. Doesn't take much traffic to cause mud pits to become larger. If there was a meadow, it was a long time ago. As I remember the mud pits, the area was relatively flat and little chance of the mud running out of the area into a stream??? So, back to my original question, what's wrong with having a mud pit for four wheelers on that trail??? Is there some sound environmental reason for closing the pits???
    Personally, I don't care. I go out of my way to avoid any mud hole. But, I'm just attempting to understand what harm is being done to the environment by allowing four wheelers to dunk their junk in a mud pit on that trail.
    These are NOT the mud pits you remember from years ago near the start of the trail. This is a different section a short distance south of the trail loop.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded.

Life is good! !לחיים

Member #
    Images
    You guys are having a great dialog here! Keep it up!

To fully understand why a mud pit would assist in the closure of a trail you have to start thinking like a greenie, then you have to realize that the greenies whine and complain about EVERYTHING to the government, including the Forest Service and BLM.

So, get your greenie tree hugging hat on and think of it from their persepcitive...and whine a lot. Here we go:
    The mud pit at the end of Slaughterhouse causes massive resource damage to the dirt, and the area surrounding it. Off-road vehicles are constantly increasing this damage by driving through the pit at speeds that exceed what any water crossing should be crossed at, and furthermore, they are making the pit deeper and deeper. This area used to be a prestine raparian area where water fowl nested, and elk and deer along with other wildlife depended upon for their food and water resource. Now the off-road vehicles have damaged the area beyond repair and the entire area should be closed off to the general public for restoration purposes. If you do not comply with our wishes we will sue.

To completely understand how a trail is closed and for what reason think like the opposition. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer, and understand their tactics because they will be used against you.

Also note that the opposition calls our travel "off-road" to give us a more negative light.

Now you know part of what the opposition thinks regarding the mud pit situation. Your next job is to whine and complain until you get your way - because you still have your greenie tree hugging hat on - and if you do not get your way (no compromising - they do not understand the word moreless the concept) you sue them.

For our side of the story, we see it as a mud pit to get dirty in. Nothing more, nothing less. There are no trees around to damage the enviornment further, and as it has already been described, it is a dirt area with the mud pit in the middle-ish part of the dirt area. Only one person responded that remembered it was a marsh area at one point in history. Do you see where I'm going with this? Know your history on an area to understand why it is fragile and in danger of being closed. Know how the opposition thinks and operates. The best thing to do is to get involved. Most of the time it is not the FS or BLM that choose to close a route or trail (look at how long it has taken to release the final EA on Carnage in Boulder - 6 months overdue now). It is the opposition that usually forces it upon the FS or BLM. That is why we need to work closely with our land management agencies so we do not get the short end of the stick.