Thread: Moab, April 23-26th

Member #

Moab, April 23-26th

This trip was incredible! I think this has been one of the best Moab trips I've been on, for a few reasons. First off, I got to wheel with an old friend of mine. 2nd, I finally got my 1.5 yr project 4Runner to Moab and successfully completed some obstacles I've been wanting to run in a long time, but haven't had the rig to do it.

The trip started out on Saturday evening when Catherine & I loaded up our '87 Toyota 4Runner with our camping gear & took the 90 minute drive to Moab. We met up with Will & Nicole driving their YJ on 33's with a Lock-Rite in the rear Dana 35. We then headed to the campground where another friend of Wills was waiting. Paul & Amy were in a rental Rubicon, ready & willing to hit the trail. Paul's somewhat new to wheelin, so we broke him in easy & then progressively ran harder trails.

On Sunday we decided to start out easy & go for a senic, yet fun trail. We ended up on Kane Creek where we ran into some friends. (Sorry we left you guys behind, I didn't think we where going too fast!) I didn't get any pics of Kane Creek... mainly because ut's pretty boaring. I've never done Kane Creek before, so this was a first for me... and I think it'll be a last. It's pretty, but a bit long for me.

On Monday morning, we were itching for something with more slickrock so we went up to Hells Revenge. I started off with Dump Bump and got lucky. I crawled right up on the first attempt! The 2nd try I wasn't as lucky and had to reposition the rig to get up.

Next up was Hells Gate. There were a handful of lifted Rubicons parked at the trailhead, the owners were out looking at the challenge ahead of them. We pulled in behind them, then they all moved out of the way. I headed in, while Will commented that if I did it, he was going to follow in the YJ. After I headed in, one of the Rubis decided to follow.

Dropping in-

Back up the otherside-

Wills turn... it's a 1990, but he swapped in a Fuel Injected, stroked 4.0. He's opened diffed in the front, locked in the back and sporting a TeraLow in the 231.-

He managed to lift a tire & carry it up the hill a little way, but made it with no issues.

Continued...
    Last edited by Greg@RME; April 27th, 2006 at 05:33 PM.
    www.RME4x4.com

Member #
    Eventually we made it over to the Escalator, which I've never driven before, but have been looking forward to. Checking it out & finding where the trouble spots are.-

Headed in, getting up the first step and going into the 2nd. I went in a bit too far to the right and ended up leaning into the hill on the otherside. Atone point, the cab was less than 12 inches from touching ths slickrock on the drivers side!-

After a quick backup, Will guides me onto the right line. Everything after that 2nd hole isn't bad.-

Member #
    Will decided to take his YJ up... I'm a bit worried at this point, thinking that being opened in the front is going to really get him into trouble here. :-\ Up the first step-

Passener rear tire slides into the hole & the tire comes off the ground!-

We get him squared on the right line and try again. This time the opposite tire comes off the ground, both rear tires are wedged in the hole & he drives right up.-

Then the holes at the top mess him up. That poor YJ was lifting tires left & right! -

After he get's all 4 tires back on the ground at the same time, he drove out of the Escalator with a big grin on his face. We were both impressed that he made it up, considering. I was getting worried about the Dana 35 shafts... he carries a couple spares, but changing a shaft there, mid-obstacle would be a huge PITA.

Member #
    On Tuesday we got up early to get a start on the Golden Spike. This was a new trail to Will, so I lead the way & we started the long trail. View shot from the trail, looking towards Potash.-

La Sals in the background.-

At about 2 pm we made it to the Golden Crack. I crossed first and ended up smacking my quarter panel, thanks to the lack of a bumper.-

Wills turn-

Next up was Double Whammy. My old rig was too short to make it up, so I came prepared to battle this time. I pulled up, shifted both t-cases into low range and put the front tires up on the 2nd ledge. In 1st gear, I rolled into the bottom ledge with a bit of throttle and popped up like it was nothing! Surprised the hell of of me & everyone watching!

Member #
    That was about it, nothing too crazy but definatley a good time. I was impressed with how well the 4Runner worked, I was a bit worried about driving it from Friuta to Moab & back, not really knowing it's dirveability history, but it was fine. I had to play with the tire pressure a bit to get the SSR's to hook-up, but 9 in the rear & 10 in the front seemed to be the magic numbers. The days leading up to the trip were a non-stop fab & wrench-fest. I got a lot done, like fabbing up sliders, wiring up the rear e-locker, building shock mounts, doing a tune-up, & a ton of smaller things. I really like the 4Runner, so much we even slept in the back of it! I now have some minor repairs to take care of, in addition to finishing up the bumpers.

In the end, this was a great trip & I'm looking forward to the next one! Also, huge thanks to Steve for helping me with the gears!

Nice pics. Looks like a fun trip. I like the 4Runner.
    1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Member #
    Great write-up and pics. I was just there with my YJ on 33s and didn't have the cajones to try hells gate or escalator - didn't think my rig could do them either. Anyway - very nice!
    Dog is man's best friend.
    Proof - put your dog and your wife in the trunk for an hour. When you open it who's happy to see you?

Member #
    Images
    Looks like fun Greg, hope you cna make it out this weekend

Member #
    That looked awesome!!!

Since I have never made it to Moab, just how steep is Hells revernge and the escalator? I can't really tell, but I can imagine.

Member #
    Great shots! I can't wait to get out there!

Member #
    Great writeup & Pics. Excellent trip report.

Member #
    Images
    Nice post and pics....

Member #
    Thanks all! I'll be back to Moab soon, I really need to build the bumpers, get the winch on & perhaps make a set of tube doors. All in good time, right!?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJ
    That looked awesome!!!

Since I have never made it to Moab, just how steep is Hells revernge and the escalator? I can't really tell, but I can imagine.

Hells Revenge is pretty steep, but I'd bet your TJ on 31's would run the trail just fine. You don't need to be locked & lifted for 95% of the trail, and most of the spots that require those parts have bypasses.

The Escalator is pretty nasty, I really thought Will's YJ was going to either break a shaft or get severe body damage with him attempting it. I think we got lucky, he even said he wouldn't do it again, . If you get in a bad spot on that one, your pretty much screwed. If I were driving his rig, I wouldn't have done it.

Nice 4Runner! I'm in the process of building an 84 4Runner and I'm trying to get it done before I head to Moab in October. Any specs on your setup? How did you like the wheelbase for the trails in Moab?

I also noticed that you said you slept in the back. Did you have enough room? I was planning on using our 4Runner to sleep in the back but really haven't crawled back there and tested it out

nice 4Runner

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Volcom
    Nice 4Runner! I'm in the process of building an 84 4Runner and I'm trying to get it done before I head to Moab in October. Any specs on your setup? How did you like the wheelbase for the trails in Moab?

I also noticed that you said you slept in the back. Did you have enough room? I was planning on using our 4Runner to sleep in the back but really haven't crawled back there and tested it out

nice 4Runner

Thanks! I decided to to run a Dana 44 for a few reasons, mostly for the width. It feels much more stable than my old Toy, turns tighter and with the 4" diffrence in axle widths, the rear axle usually follows inside the tracks of the front, missing some of the rocks that the front tires scrap by on. I loved the wheelbase, I think it's the perfect combo where it is. Here's the setup;

Engine-

It has the original 22RE, gotta keep the Toyota reliability. Has a header & Flowmaster, no cat.

Transmission-

Stock 5 speed.

T-Case-

Dual Toyota transfer cases, stock gears in 'cases.

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 44 narrowed 3", 5.38 gears, Warn Hubs, Aussie Locker. 64" wide.

Rear : Tacoma 8" with E-locker, 5.29 gears. 60" wide.

Suspension-

Was IFS, now has solid axle swap.

All Pro 3" leaves, 3/4" shackles, Doetsch Shocks.

Wheels and Tires-

35" Super Swamper SSR's & cheap 15x8 black/chrome wheels.

Wheelbase- 110" from All Pro springs and re-drilling the spring plate & perches, compared to stock WB at 103".

You know, there's surprisingly a decent amount of room. We weren't planning on sleeping back there, but due to us being without a tent we had to. I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'10" and there was plenty of room for both of us with the tailgate down. If I do it again, I'm going to find/build a egg-crate style mattress to lay down, we had a 2nd sleeping bag as a cushion & it wasn't enough.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg@RME
    In the end, this was a great trip & I'm looking forward to the next one! Also, huge thanks to Steve for helping me with the gears!
    Glad to be able to help Greg. Nice pics. We need to plan a weekend Moab trip together some time.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Glad to be able to help Greg. Nice pics. We need to plan a weekend Moab trip together some time.

Thank Steve! And again, thanks a ton for the help. Moab, for sure just let me know when...

Member #
    I was there with my Jeep club.
    We did Hells revenge on Sunday, the other way though....
    Did you do the hot tubs?
    We did Golden spike on Teusday, got off in the dark...
    Love Moab...
    Edit...A story
    There was this full size stock Toy P/U coming down the escalator, His wife was screaming bloody murder all the way down, at the bottom, she was frozen and in tears...had to laugh.
    Those long scrapes you saw all over the rocks were from his trailer hitch he used as a skidplate, I think.
    Last edited by Jeepster; May 4th, 2006 at 02:06 PM.