Thread: Rollins Pass - Take IV (4/22/06)

Member #
    Images

Cool Rollins Pass - Take IV (4/22/06)

Take I
    Take II
    Take III

Take IV
    It was a gorgeous day this past Saturday so Dmeis and I decided to hit Rollins yet again. This time we brought Cresso along with us to join in the madness and Jeepgirl was along for the ride with Dave. Some folks were camped at the first turn of the trail (where I got stopped in Take I), but we just waved and busted on through the drift. With the heavy snow melt we cruised right up to the spot which stopped us on our last two trips, but this time we were able to get through. I snuck along the edge, but then Dave and Doug decided to show me up and cruise right across the top of the snow

The snow was crusty so we were able to float over most of it, but when you broke through you knew it!

The snow swallowed my fohdee!!

Dmeis yanked me out and I eventually made it through that section. Here's Dmeis and Doug coming through the same section:

Then not more than 5 minutes after Dmeis proclaims "this is too easy!!"....

Gettin tippy?

We shoveled out the left side tires and the Jeep didn't move... left tires in the air and balanced on the rights! I didn't get pics, but Dmeis did so hopefully he'll post those later.

It was in the 80's that day down on the plains, and must have been in the 50's where we were. The snow was melting behind us and out from underneath us. Sections where we floated over top we were now breaking through. This made for a challenging return trip. We didn't make it much farther than the pic above of Dmeis on his side, as you can see the slope of the drifts kept pushing us into the trees. So we had to turn back yet again, and there's still a long way to the top. Here's a last shot of Dmeis fighting the snow on the return trip, this is the same spot where I broke through in pics 3-5 above:

When we got back to the drift at the first turn, I could see someone had been through after us. After busting back across, the folks camping indicated that someone had spent all day stuck in that drift until finally a tow truck came to pull them out Doh!

One final note, Cresso's truck is the new smoke king. Thank goodness I was in front of him on the way there and back, but my gawd, with the new injectors and chip that thing smokes like a freight train!

Member #
    Images
    David, you should have taken Patrick on that run with his Sami, it would have just floated across that snow since he is so light.
    So did you scare the you know what out of Jeepgirl?????
    "THEEEEEEE PURPLE Explorer"
    5.5 Superlift, no slip locker, 35" Big-O XT tires, lots of custom stuff.

Member #
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Explorerguy
    So did you scare the you know what out of Jeepgirl?????
    Dahlin', you know it takes more than being that tippy to scare me

I was giggling most of the way up and had a blast. It was really fun to take a step and then boom hip deep in snow where before I was on top of it

It took me a few days to dig all of the needles out of my teeth, hair and clothes. Gotta love TREEEEEEEES And my nose is pealing from the sunburn

Thanks you guys for letting me tag along. It was my first snow bashing experience and it was GREAT.

Member #
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGirl
    And my nose is pealing from the sunburn
    I'm glad you guys remembered the sunblock or I'd be in the same position Gotta love a cloudless blue sky!

Thanks you guys for letting me tag along. It was my first snow bashing experience and it was GREAT.
    It was a pleasure having you along, I'm glad you were able to make it! I know I had a blast (despite those darn trees and the associated frustration from getting stuck again... and again... and then again... and yet again... )!!

Member #
    how far from FC is this trailhead?
    2007 GMC Sierra 3500 LBZ, allison 6 speed,new tow rig
    1984 Chevrolet K30 CC, SRW, Powered By 6BT,NV4500,NP205
    1987 Samurai, MB OM603 Turbo Diesel, MB auto, yotas, YJs, 39.5" IROKs
    2005 Kawaskai Brute Force, Tatou 4s tracks

Member #
    how far from Fort Collins is this trailhead?

Member #
    Images
    Hour and a half according to mapquest.com, add another 5-10 minutes west from Rollinsville.

Member #
    Images
    You guys are definitely the snow bashing kings, I saw the article in this month's JP featuring you and Dmeis among others...
    - Steven