Thread: Eagle Rock Report

Member #

Eagle Rock Report

Well we had a good outing today started with the group from Patriot but we split at the trail head as they met up with the rest of their group. We had some breakage on the trail, Tim in his 99 Chevy broke a Tie Rod and that held up traffic for quite a while. Sorry to all who were behind us. And a big Thanks for the guy with the portable welder for helping him get that tie rod welded!!!!! It did break again Thanks to Mike and Matt who got him off the trail so traffic could continue all 25-30 of them We met some great ppl today and hope that we can do another trail again soon...

Chris

Pics To Follow soon

update here are my pics from yesterday

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v484/oscar4x4grouch/
    Last edited by oscar4x4grouch; April 24th, 2006 at 12:26 PM.

Member #
    The wait was a while but it was still worth it. We were at the bottom, it gave us plenty of time to meet every body put some faces to names plus see some good action. I cant wait to see the pics. Thanks every body. I hope the guy with the chevy got it out all right.

Member #

Pics from Eagle Rock Trip Sun 4/23

here are some of the pics from yesterday, when i get the rest of them from oscar4x4grouch i'll add them to this link...

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g287/trixysxj/

"Tim I hope you were able to get your truck out of there today"

Member #
    I went up Eagle Rock about 6 last night and wondered what was up with that truck. That sucks.
    [url]www.rocklizardfabrications.com[/url]

hey all,

that was me with the broke tie rod. i sincerely apologize to all of you that had to wait for me to get winched out of the way. if that damn tie rod didnt break i think i could have made it by taking a different line around the corner.

But alas, i didnt and now i have to go do a trail fix.

BTW, if anyone has seen any damage done to my truck (by malicious persons) i would appreciate if you could let me know, so i can be prepared to fix that too when i get back up there.

i believe oscar4x4grouch and 2004tj have some nice pics of the damage.....i got a nice hit on the drviers side rocker panel too.

and thanks again too those of you who helped out, and especialy the gentleman with the welder, i owe you one.

Tim

Member #
    Hey this is Brandon, I want to add my .02 to the trip yesterday.

We first started at the big grassy area where you can see eagle rock. We aired down some more and continued on to eagle rock just before the huge dirt hill. We made that right before the hill and started up Eagle. This is the second time for me and it seemed even easier then before without the sway bars. Tim my friend from the air force brought his 99 white 1500 chevy along, even though I warned him that this trail was pretty wicked for a stock vehicle. He had the balls to come along and we started up the trail. We got about half way before there was any real damage. Tim broke his weak chevy tie rods on the area where the rock is in the way of making a hard left. We winched him out and the truck sits there waiting for us to return with a HD tie rod. The rest of the time was awesome, we finished ER and headed down 379. This is a fun little trail with few obstacles and was easy for us skinny vehice people (dakota, jeeps) we then ended up on 376 and headed towards old stage road, and then home. I only received heavy scratches on my front bumper due to stupidity, and make it out with out any real damage. Come to find out that my tie rids were almost twice as thick then the chevys and I am not even full size. Sorry tim that chevy cheaped out on you, but we will get back up there and get it fixed. I have pictures and a write up coming soon. The pics are here. I have my own web server and website. Check the sig for more off road Dakota stuff!!!

http://thefertigs.com/dakota/images/eaglerock23apr06

the write up I will post later. thanks to grouch and trixy for showing some new trails. Eagle Rock is alot of fun but someone needs to do Saran Wrap with me. I am wanting to get on that trail soon!

EDIT: Oh yes we started the trip with 5 and we ended with 3. The chevy s10 broke his cross member, the chevy full size broke a tie rod... due we see a trend here? lol just kidding.
    Last edited by 2004TJ; April 24th, 2006 at 10:31 AM.
    US AIR FORCE LOADMASTER

Member #
    Tim if you need a hand let me know, I would need to talk my wife into it but if you need one let me know.

Member #
    i hope that nobody did damage to the truck.
    Last edited by GM4X4LOVER; April 24th, 2006 at 12:07 PM.

Member #

Eagle Rock

That turn is known for some carnage such as busted tie rods and such. Still a fun trail but is not really full size friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Z71

and thanks again too those of you who helped out, and especialy the gentleman with the welder, i owe you one.

Tim

i am the one that welded you back up. sorry that weld didn't hold it looked and felt like it was getting good penitration. that is the first time we have had to use the welder on the trail and glad we could help.

Member #
    Images
    That is not a trail you want to leave a rig on over night let alone advertise that it is out there. Wish I could help you get it out of there.

Member #

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man
    That is not a trail you want to leave a rig on over night let alone advertise that it is out there. Wish I could help you get it out of there.
    x2

Member #
    Tim did you get it out of there yet???

Member #
    Images
    To get to this trail you take Old Stagecoach to 379 and follow it to where?
    2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    520 Hp of badness
    Taking a break from slow...

Member #
    It's cool man!!!!!! You hold up was not a big deal.... There was a bunch of stuck jeeps behind you!!!!!! I was aat the very bottom and hiked up to see what happened...... There were a lot of rigs on the trail that day!!!

I love that corner...... I decieded to go high side and lean into it........

WEEEEEEEEE..............

No damage....just fun.... Do you need help getting your rig down?
    Don't take life to serious...you'll never make it out alive!

Quote Originally Posted by oscar4x4grouch
    Tim did you get it out of there yet???

brandon (2004tj) and i are heading up at the crack of dawn....the weather kept us from going today.

hearing bluexj and sound_man say that makes me a little worried but with the crappy weather, hopefully it kept ppl from going up there today.

dont think we will need help, the hardest part will be getting the old tie rod off. its a lot easier to go down something that you already made it up

Member #
    good luck and keep us posted.

Member #
    All I can say is.... wave or nod when passing another group of rigs, especially when they are doing it to you... or be forever labeled as 'the angry Jeep club'.
    That and air down before it turns to dirt, saves you doing it at the overlook, I saw lots of 'angry Jeep club' dentures on the side of the road on the way up.

John
    Got lights?

Jenn is my Goddess - she should be adored by all :)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackisis
    All I can say is.... wave or nod when passing another group of rigs, especially when they are doing it to you... or be forever labeled as 'the angry Jeep club'.
    That and air down before it turns to dirt, saves you doing it at the overlook, I saw lots of 'angry Jeep club' dentures on the side of the road on the way up.

John
    x2...... that "ANGRY GROUP" annoyed me.. I waved and they hit the gas...later we had to help them get jeeps of the rocks they were hung up on...still very unfriendly!!!

which group was the angry group?
    Last edited by rgeiser; April 25th, 2006 at 01:28 PM.

Member #
    Tim and I (Brandon) started up old stage road at 1130 we ascended on what we thought would have been a terrible day. The snow was falling at about 5 miles up old stage road and was very cold. After driving a few more miles we realized that we were above the cloud cover and it was a BEAUTIFUL SUNNY DAY ON TOP THE MOUNTAIN! We could not believe it. There was no wind, no snow, and the weather was warm above the clouds. We stopped on the way up at the turn off that most people use for a bathroom or to air down their tires. It has a large rock that is very flat and verticle. We finished messing around and continued on. We finally arrived at the turnoff for saran wrap and eagle rock. We stopped in the open grassy area and took a few pics of the nice weather. We started up eagle rock trail and took pictures all the way to show people how far my friend had gotten before breaking something. He was very proud that the low stock chevy made it so far. I got my dakota around that bad corner 3 times before but now the corner is so bad that its impassible for IFS or anyone without some flex. I am now really upset because the trail is so damaged and rutted out its an insane course now. I parked in the rut and started to unload the tools. We jacked up the truck and removed the tire. We found out that the truck broke, not becuase of cheap tie rods but due to bad placement on chevys design of the sway bar linkage. The tire came down hard causing the sway bar to hit the steering tie rod and broke that thing in half. I told tim to get rid of his sway bar when we got this thing down off the trail. All went well and we were done in less than two hours but most of that time was due to the bent bolt that was holding the sway bar on. It was really hard to get off. We got everything back together and tightened it all up. The truck was alligned the best we could due and got the truck down eagle rock with no problems. She flexed even better with the sway bar off one side and it was a blast to wheel again during the week. No one was on the trail and it was a georgous day. We finally decended the mountain and aired up and tim is now on his way to get the truck aligned. We were completely successful and I have lots of pics to show just how crazy eagle rock really is. Check all the pics I have here.

http://thefertigs.com/dakota/images/...krescue25Apr06

Tons of pictures of broken parts, fixed parts, tools, and the tretchorous trail.

Tim you owe me one there bud.

yeah, i do owe you one!

one thing brandon forgot to mention, is that thankfully no one messed with my truck! so thanks to all of you for not doing so, though i highly doubt anyone on here would ever consider doing such a thing.

next time i will have some more clearance and extra parts with me

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1grand
    To get to this trail you take Old Stagecoach to 379 and follow it to where?
    Anyone?

Member #
    Take old stage road up about 12.7 miles and there will be a small pond on your right, you will drive through it. Go on that trail for a few hundred yards and you will come to a big grassy field with the big rock in the center high up on the mountain. That is eagle rock. The right path will take you to a big dirt hill and to the right of that dirt hill there is a turn off, that is the beginning of eagle rock trail.

http://dakota.thefertigs.com has lots of pics for reference, but they are kinda unorganized right now. Will have more soon.
    Last edited by 2004TJ; April 25th, 2006 at 07:19 PM.

if my mind serves me correctly, yes. there is currently standing water on the right side of the road (coming from Co Sprgs) then the trail takes you up a few hundred yards to an open area, seen here in the 4th-6th pics here

http://thefertigs.com/dakota/images/...rescue25Apr06/

notice the large rock potrusion up the mountain

eagle rock is the trail to the right (my understanding is that saran wrap is the trail to the left but will meet up with eagle rock)

at first you will see a very steep dirt hill with big ruts, you can take this if u choose and turn right once you hit the top and meet up with eagle rock where you would then take a left. (this is looking from eagle rock towards the connection from what i believe is saran wrap/steep hill) http://thefertigs.com/dakota/images/...pr06%20011.jpg there is a "dam" of sorts that you drive over.

or at the bottom of the hill take a right across the very small water that is running towards you. you will encounter a small incline with a few small boulders...here
    http://thefertigs.com/dakota/images/...pr06%20009.jpg

if you keep going, u will find where i broke, and what is now a lot worse than when i broke on it. the pics dont do it justice. this is looking down at it, the hill is quite steep coming up http://thefertigs.com/dakota/images/...pr06%20036.jpg the hole in the center is about 2.5-3 feet deep to either side, see the pic of the 'rover above. also, on the picture's left, u will see a small boulder sitting in the trail, that is next to a large one that is now about 20" tall coming out of the trail that you will either need to straddle with the right side of your rig or stay to the inside of the corner and straddle the other rocks in the center and right of this pic.

sorry for the lenghty reply, hope it helps out

*edit, dang it brandon, you beat me to it, but i guess all my dang typing was why

Member #
    I just finished my write up. It is here.

http://dakota.thefertigs.com/eaglerock23apr06.html

It has pictures and directions. Have fun!!! The directions are about 2/3 down the page but they are pretty detailed.
    Last edited by 2004TJ; April 25th, 2006 at 07:59 PM.

Member #
    Images

Made it out

Hey 2004TJ, just wanted to let you know I made it out of Frosty Park after Eagle Rock and made it all the way home with no oproblems thanx to the guy in the red wrangler that followed me out. I could'nt have gone farther anyway due to time constraints. I fixed my Torsion Bar crossmember that afternoon with a simple and stronger fix. see U at the meet n greet this weekend!
    '04 TJ Sport, 3.5 TeraFlex, SYE, LSD, 32's
    Beer, Beer, Beer said the Private.......

Member #
    I am glad noone messed with your rig man..That is a pretty truck!!!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemikesdog
    Hey 2004TJ, just wanted to let you know I made it out of Frosty Park after Eagle Rock and made it all the way home with no oproblems thanx to the guy in the red wrangler that followed me out. I could'nt have gone farther anyway due to time constraints. I fixed my Torsion Bar crossmember that afternoon with a simple and stronger fix. see U at the meet n greet this weekend!
    Good to hear. I am glad both sides didnt come loose. I beat my transmision cross member pretty bad but its holding strong. There are pics of your truck at my website. Check em out.

Member #

Eagle Rock

If he had a Jeep, most steering/tie rods parts a interchangeable. Nice truck though. Hope it was a good as well as a learning experience. Carry spare parts and you'll be good to go.

Member #
    It wasnt that he needed spare parts. It that Chevy designed the front suspension to come in contact with the sway bar drop links and steering tie rods. It would not have broke had he removed the sway bar, but you live and learn and wheel what you got. You have to pay to play.

Member #
    Tim, I'm glad to hear that nobody messed with your truck and that you got it off the trail ok. We were behind you about 10-12 jeeps back. When I heard you were leaving your truck on the mountain all night, I got really concerned. Glad everything turned out ok.
    Last edited by Paco9191; April 26th, 2006 at 02:33 PM.

yes i know my truck is "pretty" though it now has some character from that rock on the inside of the corner. im not glad i have a dent, but it shows ppl that i actually use my truck as a truck, and dont just wipe it with a cloth diaper everyday!

and the sad/funny thing is, the day before i was thinking to myself "i should bring an extra u-joint and tie rods with".....but thought i would be ok. i guess gut instincts are pretty good sometimes!