Thread: Rollins Take III

Member #
    Images

Talking Rollins Take III

Never a dull moment snow bashing.

Started out by sliding downhill at the last RR crossing. I stopped at the tracks to figure what the hell Eric was screwing around for and found myself sliding backwards. I slid about 30 feet before the truck-trailer stopped.

--With that in mind, and Eric bobsledding back on the way down , I could have smacked the fast oncoming train if I was a few seconds sooner and if I would have tryed running the stop due to the slick hill (see first picture). The engineer blaired the horn just as I was processing the scene and saw him. Scared the crap out of me.

Lots of SNOW.

Eric and I just blazed through to the end. The oil cooler I just installed helped my engine run cooler and maintain the power and higher revs because I was unstopable on the hill climbs. We always get inconvenienced on the two hill climbs and spend quite amount of time working them. I was driving two fisted and just trying to hang on and stay on the road. I ascented so fast it was like I was on a snowmobile--except for the fast paced steering corrections. Notice all the snow stuck on the front of the Jeep. I kept thinking that I was done for but she pulled out everytime and never stopped.

Well, at least until the trip back and I got too cocky. I hit this so hard I started sliding sideways. It hit so hard the camera flew off the seat and hit the dash. I was really STUCK! I didnt care though because I was sure I was going to flip if I could'nt get the front end to come around. Notice the debris field of snow in front of the Jeep and the entrance angle.

BEFORE
    See where Massey gets you? Notice the slope of the snow near the tree in the left of the picture and the relative height of the tire in the snow... This is the same point that we had to turn around last trip. It will probably be a couple of months before this is passable...

Eric decided he wanted a part time job paving parking lots... That was a lot of SNOW!!! It had to have been 6-10 ft deep where Jeremy was standing. That's the same tree behind Jeremy as in the previous picture. Eric never reached soil.

How do you get so sideways on the trail?

AFTER

Oops, I think they were more nervous than I was. Then I was dumb enough to get out and look at it. I should have stayed in the Jeep cause it felt much safer inside. It really wasnt that bad but considering that the low side tires were already folded over and the right side looked like they had 30psi in them, I'd say the Jeep was sliding/leaning pretty good. I've leaned it harder in the rocks but it's a different story when there is a small group of trees between you and a slippery, steep and high hill side...

See how much weight was on the high side. Eric just kicked the snow out from under the tire...

More pics...
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/trails/ro...March%20x2.htm
    The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration...

Member #
    Images
    I love snow bashing - as long as I'm reading one about one of yours and Eric's adventures. Thanks for the great pics and write-ups.

Member #
    Images
    It's fun to recount the trip. Maybe you should ride along some time and see it first hand. We gaurantee you can't pay for this kind of ride.

We usually have an empty front seat between us. We could always use some help hooking up the strap and winch line.

Member #
    Images
    You guys make me so jealous wheeling in the snow like, maybe one winter my rig will actually work and i can join ya

Member #
    Images
    You guys are both gluttons for punishment! Great pics. Snow runs can be a blast, and one helluva lot of work. That snow looks REALLY DEEP, which translates to a lot of work!
    The Lemonator
    Jeepnut Extrordinaire

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally
    You guys make me so jealous wheeling in the snow like, maybe one winter my rig will actually work and i can join ya
    We still have some winter left...

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Lemon
    You guys are both gluttons for punishment! Great pics. Snow runs can be a blast, and one helluva lot of work. That snow looks REALLY DEEP, which translates to a lot of work!
    It was only work when we decided we didnt get enough fun in. Is your motor ready for some action???

Member #
    Great shots guys!!!!! I now know what that trail is like covered completely in snow
    Don't take life to serious...you'll never make it out alive!

Member #
    i would love to join you guys, but have open diffs might be ok at 10 lbs though...
    2007 GMC Sierra 3500 LBZ, allison 6 speed,new tow rig
    1984 Chevrolet K30 CC, SRW, Powered By 6BT,NV4500,NP205
    1987 Samurai, MB OM603 Turbo Diesel, MB auto, yotas, YJs, 39.5" IROKs
    2005 Kawaskai Brute Force, Tatou 4s tracks

Member #
    Images

Cool

Third time was the charm for my winch Recall the first trip I forgot the winch controller , and my alternator died on the second trip , but it did its job on this trip (fortunately needed it only once).

As the pictures show, it was a beautiful day to be in the mountains. Light/moderate snow all day except at lunch time where it cleared off a bit. As we sat there eating lunch I kept looking at the trail ahead and decided we just couldn't turn around without at least taking a shot at it. You'll note I'm "backwards" in the pics where I'm wearing down the drifts, this made it MUCH easier to pull out of it after the drift pitched me downhill. Facing forward in the same position you're faced with backing out of it and you end up swinging very wide in order to bring the front end around. Dmeis tried it frontwards once and quickly found himself screwed at the edge of the dropoff

I finally made it out a little further than we made it last time, so that signaled the time to return home. Almost like clockwork Dmeis developed a brake problem at that instant but fortunately had a spare brake line. Swapped that out and we were on our way. Dmeis also lost the spring in a windshield wiper arm on the way up the trail so you'll note in one of the pics he's only sporting one windshield wiper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobcore911
    i would love to join you guys, but have open diffs might be ok at 10 lbs though...
    Rollins is typically an experience of extremes where the sunny sections can be bare dirt and the shaded sections can be 8'+ drifts. Gotta be locked at both ends, 2 psi max, and 37"+ tires if you want to cover any reasonable ground on this trail in the snow or you'll get left behind Usually the first turn serves as the weed-out point (note that's where I got stopped on the first trip). The fohdeez leave some pretty deep ruts in the snow which can leave lesser-equipped rigs sitting on their axles. On the second trip we encountered a rig equipped much like you describe and he was stuck about 30 yards into the trail blocking the exit.
    Last edited by Eric; March 22nd, 2006 at 03:19 PM.

Member #
    Images

Exclamation

I think it was evident I got screwed going either direction.

Now you have me thinking Eric. We should have an informal CO4x4 Pikes Peak style race up Rollins. Stay the trail of course but there are plenty of wide areas to pass when the poor guy (or girl) in front of you gets stuck or can't go as fast as you. That could be a lot of fun. 4.5+ miles of heart pounding high revving action. And considering that we seem to have ran the trail the most we would have to start in the back of the pack.

Maybe we could offer the winner "Goderator for a Week" or something worth while.

Since you and I already hold that title-well sort of, that's really Chad and Steve, we could up the ante. If I win I get to take the TT-Z out for a night on the town. If you win I will let you drive the Green Jeep once or twice.