Member #

2001 Pathfinder wheel bearing re-pack?

I'm not familiar with this setup at all so I thought I'd ask here.

My uncle has a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder that has started making a howl from the left front, it has 100k+ miles. As I understand it they already went through the brakes thinking that was it but with no result. It soulds to me like a wheel bearing, and supposedly it has serviceable bearings that may never have been serviced...

Where I'm concerned is that two different shops have quoted 4 hours to inspect and re-pack that bearing assembly (no parts), just stating that it's remarkably complicated. Is it really that bad? Honestly I'm surpised this thing isn't unitized being a 2001 but both shops said it wasn't. Any input? Thanks!
    Bloodninja: I put on my robe and wizard's hat...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I'm not familiar with this setup at all so I thought I'd ask here.

My uncle has a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder that has started making a howl from the left front, it has 100k+ miles. As I understand it they already went through the brakes thinking that was it but with no result. It soulds to me like a wheel bearing, and supposedly it has serviceable bearings that may never have been serviced...

Where I'm concerned is that two different shops have quoted 4 hours to inspect and re-pack that bearing assembly (no parts), just stating that it's remarkably complicated. Is it really that bad? Honestly I'm surpised this thing isn't unitized being a 2001 but both shops said it wasn't. Any input? Thanks!
    If it's howling, it probaly cannot be serviced effectively. He should be able to get it replaced for relatively cheap (<$200)

Member #
    I'm certainly inclined to agree that the bearings need to be replaced (not sure how often they should be repacked but I'm guessing sub-100k).

My issue is that two different shops have quoted closer to $300 just to get it apart, plus whatever parts cost works out to be we're definitely not coming in at less than $200. It sounds like you're saying there's nothing special about them and these guys are severely padding their estimate.

THose hubs take some work to get apart. While not tough to do, but certinitly envolved. I would think that most shops will charge at least 2 hours minimum. The average price per hour is 90 bucks. Well thats 200 to start. Then start adding parts costs.
    http://www.AstroAutomotive.com
    /| , [____],
    l----L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)-----)_)

Member #
    Images
    alldata labor guide calls for 4.3 hrs for clean and repack both sides.
    ASE Master Tech
    '95 5.9 XJ on 44s and 35s
    Owner/Operator 4 On The Floor Automotive

Holy smokes, no wonder he is getting quoted so much.

Member #
    Well, sound like they're not pulling his leg.

Thanks for the input!

if its like the Xterra front end, the hard part is getting the retaining nut off. it uses a special kind of spanner wrench to loosen and tighten. if they have not been overtorqued you might be able to get them off using a flat tip and hammer. check out http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Tony Blair, British Prime Minister