Member #
    Images

What will an out of balance torque converter feel like?

I think we have my bros vibration issue narrowed down to the torque converter. The weights on the outside of it look to be missing. What will an out of balance torque converter behave like through the drivetrain? It is mated to a th350 behind a 4.3l chevy and into twin toyota/marlin cases.

Thanks,

Mark
    2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    520 Hp of badness
    Taking a break from slow...

mine felt like a bent drive shaft, whole drive line shakes

i had an out of balance adapter kit for my tranny once whole truck would shake especially at idle

if it is the torque converter be careful the front pump doesn't blow out in the tranny

that shake or "runout" can f up the whole front pump assembly
    Last edited by rockhound; March 3rd, 2005 at 08:54 PM.

Member #
    STOP driving it right now. You can take out your transmission and bend or break your crankshaft.

Member #
    usually when the converter goes you will get a vibration around 40 to 50 mph which sometimes can be driven through. ie the vib goes away after a while. the internals in the converter that blew up spread out and ballence out. problem is is that the smaller pieces get cought up in the trani filter and can starve the trani for fluid causing further damage. you may also notice some shifting probs....say in a 3 speed trani, first gear will run almost to 40mph then a quick shift after words.
    tube...TUBE the jeep needs more TUBE!!!!

Mine did the same. Around 40-50. U keep driving it in can damage input shaft.

if its the torque converter and its supposed to have weights on it, DONT DRIVE IT VERY MUCH! i blew up the motor in my charger cause the torque converter threw weights and it shook it to death. it can cause it to throw a bearing in the motor. be careful with it....

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kodama
    usually when the converter goes you will get a vibration around 40 to 50 mph which sometimes can be driven through. ie the vib goes away after a while. the internals in the converter that blew up spread out and ballence out. problem is is that the smaller pieces get cought up in the trani filter and can starve the trani for fluid causing further damage. you may also notice some shifting probs....say in a 3 speed trani, first gear will run almost to 40mph then a quick shift after words.
    Man! you hit it right on the head on how the virbration comes on and exactly at what speed.

So next question. Who would you recommend he take the truck to that could R&R the trans/xfer combo, replace the converter and do some basic checks on the TH350 to make sure it is still OK on the input shaft and/or pump. I would like a reliable shop specializing in trannies and 4x4's in the Denver metro area. The truck is a 1st gen solid axle 4 runner with a 4.3l V6 swap, a TH350 and Dual Marlin'd xfer cases mounted to a high clearance x-member brace.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I really think this is the problem. We eliminated all the other drivetrain from the xfer back by flat towing it at speed and had no vibrations at all. (I know..not real legal but ya do what ya gotta do).

Thanks,

Mark

Member #
    If the vib starts right after the torque converter lock up clutch engages then your lock up clutch could be wasted. I had this problem on my xj with 130,000 miles on it.
    Google on "Torque Converter Shudder" and read about it. On mine it felt like you were driving over a rumble strip. Started out as an intermittent problem and gradually got worse.
    A new TC made it ride as smooth as new. Sometimes a simple fluid change can make a difference, expecially if the problem is caused by having the wrong fluid or old broken down fluid in the transmission.

Dave S.
    Dave S.
    '05 Rubicon Unlimited

Take the 3 bolts out of the torque converter , shove the TC back and see if the vibration goes away.

Toby

Member #
    If you really think its the TC, I'd recommend that you take it to Aamco and have them give you a diagnosis for $30. You don't have to do the work there and you'll be confident that what you do will fix your problem.

Dave

Member #

vibs

make sure you have the right flex plate for the engine,on the 4.3 they balanced different.

Member #
    Images

Flexplate

That is a good point on the flexplate. The 1991 4.3L that he has is not internally balanced. The flexplate attached has a big "V" shaped weight on it so I am assuming it has the correct one installed.

I'll try the converter push-back tactic to make sure the motor is smooth..good tip.

Thanks

take it to b&m transmission on jordan road