Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Member #

At least Biden's policy in Afghanistan is working out well.

Oh, wait.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

To be fair, did anyone see ANYONE’s policy in Afghanistan going well?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    Nope that place is hopeless the Russians tried their version of control. And then we tried our version it’s a place that just won’t ever be safe. It’s like the middle East’s cousin, been going on forever.
    Wandering in the wilderness.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    I agree to an extent but at least they used to be somewhat afraid of consequences. Biden has shown the whole world that he is week and they are jumping on it.

Hmmm, Biden's acting on a commitment made by the previous administration.

The Afgan government is what is weak, they knew we were going to withdraw our troops.

If the Biden admin were to send over combat troops, you would be screaming bloody murder.

You just want to bitch, 'cause you're right, and the Dem's are all wrong.
    95 XJ - 3.5" RE Superflex, ACOS, RC Drop Brackets, 10.5x33" BFG TA's, 4.10's, Dana 44 Rear w/Detroit, Spartan front, 4:1 T-case.
    83 Toy - 4" AllPro Fronts, Pro-Comp Rears & 1" shackle lift, 5:29's, Spool Rear, Detroit Front, Home built flatbed, Dual 2.28 cases, 35" KM2's.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunchris View Post

The Afgan government is what is weak, they knew we were going to withdraw our troops.

If the Biden admin were to send over combat troops, you would be screaming bloody murder.

Not even close. You libs are the ones who scream bloody murder every single time. This is why the USA will never win another war. I don't like collateral damage any more than anyone else but some times, its the price we have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Not even close. You libs are the ones who scream bloody murder every single time. This is why the USA will never win another war. I don't like collateral damage any more than anyone else but some times, its the price we have to pay.
    You know not of what you speak.

I'm a lifelong Republican, however, I don't like the direction the party is taking.

There is no way anyone was going to extract our troops, and keep the Afgan government in power.

You can blame Biden all you want, but I'm calling it bull shit.

I'm pretty sure both parties wanted out of this one, it wasn't driven by Democrats alone, so you can blame both sides.

Member #
    Images

I'm a lifelong Republican, however, I don't like the direction the party is taking.

There is no way anyone was going to extract our troops, and keep the Afgan government in power.

I'm pretty sure both parties wanted out of this one, it wasn't driven by Democrats alone, so you can blame both sides.
    Yeah, pretty much in your camp on this one. If the pullout was done under trump, it wouldnt be much different. We should have have gotten out a decade or more ago. If the outcome of what is happening now is so bad, we shouldnt have gone it and smashed the govt that was there before. Arrogant meddling in other country's business.
    Proudly un-offended.

Member #
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    Yeah, pretty much in your camp on this one. If the pullout was done under trump, it wouldnt be much different. We should have have gotten out a decade or more ago. If the outcome of what is happening now is so bad, we shouldnt have gone it and smashed the govt that was there before. Arrogant meddling in other country's business.
    I too am in that camp...it was going to be a shit show, and used as political ammo for whichever side was not the one finally making that decision, no matter who finally followed through with it. My beef is it should have been a bombing response back to pre-stone age from the start so they felt enough pain they'd never want to pull another dumbassed stunt like that again...reminiscent of Reagan's fly in, kick in the teeth to quadafi (or however you spell that long dead dumbshit's name), and fly on home for biscuits and gravy a number of hours later..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    My beef is it should have been a bombing response back to pre-stone age from the start so they felt enough pain they'd never want to pull another dumbassed stunt like that again...reminiscent of Reagan's fly in, kick in the teeth to quadafi (or however you spell that long dead dumbshit's name), and fly on home for biscuits and gravy a number of hours later..
    This is exactly what should have happened but as i previously said, the USA will never win another war because the populous won't stand for the collateral damage required to win a war.

Member #
    Images
    We should have never been there. We’re not the world’s police force. They’ve been fighting there for centuries and we can’t change that. Let ‘em kill each other and sort it out on their own.

I do blame the Biden administration for withdrawing troops with no plan to close our embassy and evacuate Americans. Now we get to send troops back in to do that.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    We should have never been there. We’re not the world’s police force. They’ve been fighting there for centuries and we can’t change that. Let ‘em kill each other and sort it out on their own.

I do blame the Biden administration for withdrawing troops with no plan to close our embassy and evacuate Americans. Now we get to send troops back in to do that.
    100% on all accounts.

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    I too am in that camp...it was going to be a shit show, and used as political ammo for whichever side was not the one finally making that decision, no matter who finally followed through with it. My beef is it should have been a bombing response back to pre-stone age from the start so they felt enough pain they'd never want to pull another dumbassed stunt like that again...reminiscent of Reagan's fly in, kick in the teeth to quadafi (or however you spell that long dead dumbshit's name), and fly on home for biscuits and gravy a number of hours later..
    This is exactly what should have happened but as i previously said, the USA will never win another war because the populous won't stand for the collateral damage required to win a war.

100% on all accounts.
    Umm what? You agree that we should have bombed them back to the stone age, then immediately turn around and "agree 100%" that we should have never gone in to begin with. So which is it?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Umm what? You agree that we should have bombed them back to the stone age, then immediately turn around and "agree 100%" that we should have never gone in to begin with. So which is it?
    Either one actually but yeah, i was kinda speaking out both sides of my mouth there. I do believe that we shouldn't be trying to be the world police but if and when we do go in and take action, we need to go balls out and kick ass and get the hell back out of there.

Also, if and when we go in to help another country out, we dont need to be there afterwards rebuilding their crap that we may or may not have blown up while helping them.
    Last edited by creepycrawler; August 15th, 2021 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Edited to add...

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    "gone in to begin with" is referencing a length of time to stick around as opposed to 'go there' with a planned out days worth of vaporizations of a good number of targeted people/places but not hang around for weeks while the smoke clears.

For those that have been there.

You. Are. Not. Alone.

The fall of Kandahar is not your fault, and your service was not futile.
    The fall of Panjwai was not your fault, and your service was not futile.
    The fall of Sperwan Ghar was not your fault, and your service was not futile.

The veterans of Afghanistan are not okay. They are struggling with deep, intrinsic questions about their purpose, and the validity of their efforts in the War in Afghanistan.

Was it worth it? Was it all a waste? How am I supposed to feel about my brothers and sisters who lost their lives over there?

We talked about it after Panjwai fell, but we wanted to drive the point home again.

It was not a waste.
    It was not futile.

You did your job.

Many mistakes were made in Afghanistan, but unless your name was Robert Bales, those mistakes all happened in rooms of suits and ties, and uniforms with stars on their chest.

We were asked to go there and do a job, and while at times we may have fooled ourselves into thinking we were really helping the Afghan people, at the end of the day, your job was to pick up a rifle and walk and shoot back.

The fact that the fall of Afghanistan is happening in our absence further supports the position that your service was not futile. We kept that from happening, when clearly the Taliban had the organization and forces to try. We made them hide in holes and use cowardly tactics to achieve small, non strategic victories on the battlefield.

You were a force to be reckoned with. You kept the villages in your area as safe as they had been in 20 years and safer than they likely will be for the next 20.

Your service was worth it, take from it the best of it and leave the guilt behind. What’s happening in Afghanistan now is the responsibility of the Afghan government that failed to prepare for this possibility for 15 years. Millions of dollars spent, hundreds of thousands of soldiers trained. What else could we possibly have done to help them? Nothing.

This is on them.

The more difficult question is, How do we account for the loss of life and limb over the past 20 years? Sure, our service was worth it, but what about the physical and mental damage sustained by our men and women in uniform?

The easy answer is that most of us knew that was a possibility and joined anyway. But we all know that barely scratches the surface. We THOUGHT we knew what we would experience, or what the cost might be. The reality was much different standing next to a flag draped coffin or putting a double amputee on a helicopter.

I like to think of it this way. Those that we lost, would THEY care that Afghanistan is falling right now? Or would they care that you and I, and the rest of their brothers and sisters, are still here breathing and talking about it together?

Id like to think they care about that more. They didn’t give their lives for Afghanistan. They gave it for us. We owe it to them to move forward, and not linger on the failures of a 3rd world country.

You did your best. You served honorably. You did your job.

Now continue to honor those we lost by taking the lessons of Afghanistan and continue to do great things with your life. Stay alive. Keep moving forward. Set goals. Achieve goals. Demand the best of yourself. Be a better veteran. Be a better American (or Canadian). Be a Better Human Being.

And if you need someone to talk to, Luke and I are always monitoring these accounts. Or email us at thepanjwaipodcast@gmail.com. Join us for a live stream and talk about it. We get past this together.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

Member #
    Images
    Well posted Curt! I never understood the view that it was a waste or insulting to those who lost their lives/well being. It was very honorable to selflessly try to help someone without some obligated forever promise of outcome if they wouldn't stand up and contribute their part. The men and women gave them their best chance and they (the Afghans) blew it...their actions to date is the spit on the effort, not ours!
    Last edited by ASCTLC; August 15th, 2021 at 11:21 AM. Reason: clarity

Nothing but love Andy, well said.

Member #
    We should have never been there. We’re not the world’s police force.

We need to be when they come here and kill us..

If i remember correctly it had something to do with the Taliban moving into Afghanistan and a day most of America has sadly forgotten 9/11

Member #
    Images
    But occupying wasn't required to make them regret that decision

Member #
    But occupying wasn't required to make them regret that decision
    Agree. Should have taken off the handcuffs. Would have been over a longtime ago...

The American people don't have the stomach for what it takes to win a war anymore.

Member #
    Images
    Not only the lack of stomach but don't have a lick of sense anymore. When defending yourself don't you stand and fight you cheat and attack with overwhelming force and walk away once your attacker is taken to the ground and can't get back up until you're long gone. That's an experience they won't risk again. They'll move on to some stupid bastard who thinks they're tough and willing to stand their and duke it out for a while.

Member #
    This is why the USA will never win another war.
    ...the USA will never win another war because the populous won't stand for the collateral damage required to win a war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man View Post
    The American people don't have the stomach for what it takes to win a war anymore.
    Yup.

"President Biden tries to keep changing the subject from this inept withdrawal, which, let's be frank here - if you withdraw 2,500 troops and then you have to send 6,000 back... that's not planned. That's, on it's face, an example of a failure." Jake Trapper CNN

Member #
    The video of a person falling from a plane is pretty sad. Its hard to imagine being so desperate to flee that you risk being able to hold on to the side of an airplane over being left behind.

Member #
    I am hugely disappointed in the manner in which we left. Total slap in the face for all the folks that fought and died in that country.
    I am closely involved with the results of 20 years of war, and its aftermath. Seeing the needless waste of life, injury and heartache inflicted on our service members, sickens me.

Granted the withdrawal was going to be a sh!tshow supreme, no matter who did it, but we could have at least put a pencil to paper and came up with a sketch or plan.
    Seems like someone got a wild hair and just decided, lets leave, like we were teenagers at a party-- who cares about the aftermath, lets go!!

We should have never gone there, and if we did, it should have been with extreme force.

Just sad to see that we gave up and left.
    Metalhed
    Rock on Dude

https://www.oafnation.com/hitter-feed/writtenintaliban

Written in Taliban

The first time I saw you was in the Khyber Pass. You came with your technology, elite fighters fueled by revenge, and the hubris to believe you could disprove history.

This was a war that you didn’t have the stomach to fight. But I’m glad you tried.

We bled you the same way we bled the Soviets in our Holy Land. We bled you the same way the Vietnamese bled you in their homeland. We did it patiently and deliberately.

Patience. Something Westerners never learn.

Our history is millennial. We don’t yearn for an early victory when the Infidel ravages our Holy Land. Our victory is celebrated decades from now. We’ve endured, then ravaged every standing military that crossed our borders. Why? How? We’re patient.

In 30 days, we’ll be stronger, richer, and have control over precious natural resources that you need for your pathetic life dictated by comfort. We will have women, riches, land, guns, and ownership of one of the greatest chapters in military history.

You lose.

If you want to try again, we welcome the challenge. You will fail regardless of how much money you burn in our deserts. For pity, here is free advice that may contribute to your future success, should you ever decide to invade again.

You recruit your warriors and supporters from a drug-addicted, distracted, disillusioned population that’s obsessed with comfort and entertainment. A population obsessed with altering their mundane reality. Alcohol, marijuana, pills, and our new favorite -- Tide Pods. Every time your doctors prescribe opiate painkillers, you line our coffers with gold. Your population’s thirst for our pristine heroin has never been more lucrative for our warrior tribes. We will keep feeding you poison for as long as you keep your hands out.

If your population wasn’t so spineless, undisciplined, and self-loathing, then you might be able to compile a raiding party with enough tenacity to outthink ours.

Our fighters are born into war and raised in it. It’s a way of life that evades your “first world” nations. They live a life of such immense misery and pain that they’re willing to fight barefoot in the snow for the opportunity to martyr themselves. They yearn for the opportunity to die. When they do have the blessed opportunity to sacrifice themselves, they sit above Mohammed at the right hand of God. Blessed in Allah for eternity

What honors do your fighters receive? You remember their empty sacrifice with a “three day weekend.” The majority of your population uses this sacred time to get drunk and grow fatter as a way to celebrate their fallen warriors. Sadly, we pay tribute to their death more honorably.

The colored pieces of cloth you pin on their chests are similar to the jewelry worn by our women. What good are accolades and vanity if you don’t have the stomach to endure a fight? We don’t offer the burden of healthcare to our fighters as they often want to die for Allah. Your fighters fight to live. Their inability to reconcile the inevitable outcome of our patience leads them to kill themselves. Your medications, counselors, and non-profits will never undo the pain and suffering you’ve forced them to endure. It will never remove the pain we’ve caused your broken nation. You are your own worst enemy.

We will give your fighters credit. Some are creative, tenacious, and fierce. They outgun us in every way possible. But again, we simply wait them out. Allah is patient. You cycle them through our Holy Lands every 3 to 12 months for their combat rotations. After their tour is complete, they return to the comfort of their warm beds and endless entertainment. If you left them here, in our Holy Land, with no way out but to win, then you might of have had a chance of success. The longer you poisoned our Holy Land with your presence, your “rules of engagement” only strengthened our position. There is only one rule in war - that is to win.

Your commanders made you fight with your hands tied behind your back. Your rules also confused our fighters too. “We’re clearly the enemy; why are they letting us go?” Thank you for your compassion, as it allowed our fighters to kill more Infidels. We began to feel as if your commanders were on our side. We’re thankful your most vicious dogs were never allowed off their leash.

Your showcase Generals make us laugh. You spend millions of dollars flying them around our country, inventing new ways to win while ignoring the guidance of our most capable foes. Your Generals make decisions to minimize risk to their fragile reputation with the ultimate goal of securing a lucrative retirement--jobs with suppliers that fuel your losing force. A self-serving circle built on the backs of your youngest and most naive fighters.

Your retired Generals “earn” tens of thousands of dollars talking to your political, industrial, and financial leaders about “teams, winning, and discipline.” It’s a mockery of the war they refused to fight. It’s a mockery of the Infidel warriors who died in our lands. We urge you to continue following their vacuous personalities so we can further watch your once great nation collapse.

Your statesman and elected officials are spineless, narcissistic, and more cowardly than your Generals. They crave power over you above all else. They come to our country, hide behind blast walls, and only heed the word of the indigenous leader they put in power. I believe your soldiers call this a “self-licking ice cream cone.”

They’ve burned billions of dollars in a wasted effort to bring clean water, electricity, business, education, agriculture, and exports to a region that didn’t ask for it. You should have saved yourself the effort and simply given the money directly to us. Don’t worry; your diplomatic friends gave us plenty of your American tax dollars. If you want to give it another shot with your “soft power,” send those with real experience, not fancy degrees and silver tongues.

Over the next few months, we will make the world understand that you failed worse than any fighting force that’s ever invaded our lands. Today we celebrate victory.

As you evacuate your embassy, our fighters will be standing in the shade. Our RPG marksmen will be patient. We thank you for the parting gifts. You’ll find surface-to-air missiles staged in the back of Toyota pickup trucks that you purchased for us.

We saw what Extortion 17 did to your nation and the morale of your fighting force. Do your citizens even remember that victory? We’ll be repeating and improving upon our victory while your citizens and sympathizers evacuate in disgrace. Every one of your foes around the world will know exactly how to break you.

You are welcome to fly your empty drones, target our cell phones, and send your spies. But they, too, will ultimately fail. We’ll use their failures to show the world that you’re not all-powerful. You’re a false front—an empty shell. You lie, cheat, steal, and are easily defeated because you lack the spine to fight. This is your history now. We’re grateful Allah gave us the opportunity to show the world how to defeat the Infidels.

We look forward to seeing you again across the battlefield.

Praise be to God

The Taliban

***Authors’ Note***

If you’ve read this far. Thank you. We’ve spent the past week trying to find a way to communicate this to the American people in a manner that would cause anger, rage, action, and understanding. Writing in the voice of a Taliban fighter felt right.

If this made you angry, cry, or contemplative--then our goal is achieved. Our hope is that it inspires you to take action with your elected officials. They’ve been repeating the same failing playbook since World War II with your sons, daughters, and tax dollars. If you want this to keep happening, do nothing. If you don’t, then do something. If we all do a little, together we do a lot.

About the Authors:

Matthew Griffin is a 2001 United States Military Academy Graduate, Army Ranger, Combat Veteran with the 75th Ranger Regiment (3x Afghanistan, 1x Iraq), CEO of Combat Flip Flops, author, and 2019 Henry Crown Fellow with the Aspen Global Leadership Institute.

Scott Chapman is a 2000 Murray State University Graduate, Army Ranger Fire Team Leader from Alpha Company 2/75th Rangers (‘01 - ‘05), OGA Blackwater Alumni, entrepreneur, and author. Combat Veteran ( 21x Afghanistan, 1x Iraq)

Member #
    This hits the nail on the head. Even us airmen knew this was the mindset going into that mess. The hope was it would work but realistically we had that feeling it wouldn’t. Culture is something that is almost impossible to change. These are the ramblings of a bunch Air Force maintainers but even us had feelings of the end.

Amen!

Also this!

https://newsthump.com/2021/08/16/tal...ate-a-reality/

****ing coward.
    Sweater
    Never play chess with a pigeon. The pigeon just knocks all the pieces over. Then craps all over the board. Then struts around like it won.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BGDOG View Post

Ok, i tend to not reply to your posts anymore but seriously? You are going to post satire websites and hope people believe them. Thats rich.

NewsThump - Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsThump

Member #
    I'm pretty sure we all knew what to expect with not only this war in Afghanistan but with any of the others we have entered into with the main middle eastern $hithole countries that we have engaged over the last several years.....or forever.

Also, its true that it doesn't really matter who ended up pulling troops out in the end as far as how the country went after that. What does matter is how the pullout is done and what kind of intelligence is acquired after that AND what is done with that intelligence.

Vegetable biden should have seen this coming well in advance and should have taken steps to get everyone AND our military equipment out of there well before it became a last minute $hit show spectacle for the whole world to see.

Now vegetable biden is leaving behind millions of dollars of military equipment behind and asking Americans to shelter in place. What a joke. He is completely incompetent.

Member #
    Images
    There was no good time to pull out but there sure as hell was a worst time and approach to it...and this admin went straight for worst time and way. This is just yet another example of our politicians having the absolute worst judgement of anyone or any agency in our country. Very little is ever improved or corrected by them or their policies!

How about spending a little energy in vetting the people/country before offering to help?? Too few Afghans actually wanted us to help them get there country back they wanted us to simply do it for them...it's the same as many of our own citizens that don't really want help getting back on their feet, they want the govt to simply take over while they sit back and rake in the benefits. No vetting of the truly needy or 'worthy'...yes I said it...not everyone is worthy of assistance. The truly needy and worthy don't get the level of assistance they deserve because too many assholes are selfishly sucking up the resources.

And that is the case with that part of the world...they're selfish assholes that simply want someone else to provide and do everything for them. No sweat for our politicians because they aren't the ones giving up or sacrificing anything for them, they suck it from all of us to give away for unspoken favors.

Member #
    Images
    I didn't read everything here, but i scrolled far enough to see this and agree with it. We should have put together the proposed exit plan the day after we found Bin Laden, given them a staged 1 year removal or whatever and been done with this 10 years ago. It was said above, but that country has long been a political suck for whoever wanders in. I know that the political climate was much different in 2012, but that doesn't make an issue right or wrong at all.
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Images
    Staying so long did the opposite of what it was intended to do. The Afg govt didnt get more competent. Rather, it taught them to rely on the US for national defense and solve taliban type problems. Proof of that is their quick exit and abandonment of responsibilities when it was suddenly up to them.

I am also pretty sure there is a long and wide river of memos coming out from those tasked with training the Afg govt for the last 10 years advising that they are a lost cause and will never be able to practically administer a country independent of our assistance, and all that got round files or swept out of sight.

You mean something like this?

https://fas.org/irp/congress/2020_hr/afghan-papers.pdf

Staying so long did the opposite of what it was intended to do. The Afg govt didnt get more competent. Rather, it taught them to rely on the US for national defense and solve taliban type problems. Proof of that is their quick exit and abandonment of responsibilities when it was suddenly up to them.

I am also pretty sure there is a long and wide river of memos coming out from those tasked with training the Afg govt for the last 10 years advising that they are a lost cause and will never be able to practically administer a country independent of our assistance, and all that got round files or swept out of sight.

Member #
    Interesting viewpoint of the citizens of Afghanistan from a vet.

https://youtu.be/6MmRazadMD8

Member #
    Images