Thread: Mouse plague in Australia

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images

Mouse plague in Australia

Australia reportedly suffers from a mouse plague every decade or so. Although I have never heard of it before, this year's infestation has caught my attention. Anyone else hear about this?

I guess that they are blaming this year's event on the bountiful crops produced last year due to all the extra rain they received. The news stories probably can not even relay how bad things are for some of the farmers and their families.

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    Heard about that. I read the stench of all the dead mice is horrendous.

Yep, and they are talking about that smell in the videos.
    Last edited by ASCTLC; May 31st, 2021 at 06:56 PM.

Member #
    Images
    Thinking about them down there...What the hell do/can you do??!! After the fire people showed up to offer/provide help and comfort but in that rodent infest situation what the hell could anyone do?? Damn, that's tough for them suffering through that!

Member #
    I volunteer at a local Humane Society location.

We have a dozen or so Barn Cats.

They are difficult to place, since most folks want lap cats.

Really, I got nothing of value.
    95 XJ - 3.5" RE Superflex, ACOS, RC Drop Brackets, 10.5x33" BFG TA's, 4.10's, Dana 44 Rear w/Detroit, Spartan front, 4:1 T-case.
    83 Toy - 4" AllPro Fronts, Pro-Comp Rears & 1" shackle lift, 5:29's, Spool Rear, Detroit Front, Home built flatbed, Dual 2.28 cases, 35" KM2's.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunchris View Post

How likely are the barn cats to stay in the barn if you get someone to take them? We have had luck getting kittens that grow up in the barn to stick around. But a re-homed barn cat? I would assume it would just try to head back "home".
    Proudly un-offended.

Member #
    Images
    2 things:
    Mice in general don't bother me, but a Biblical plague of them gives me the FREAKING hibbejibbbes (sic)
    And 2 years ago when our grumpy azz cat passed, my wife and I promised to never get another cat...
    About 3 months ago my family adopted a "feral" kitten from MT. I guess a posse of ferals were running around up there and they caught a few kittens, and my family got one... he is cool so far, but we will see.
    I told my wife I wasn't buying sand for a cat to piss and poop in and for me to clean up sand I paid for to piss and poop in... no kitty litter clean up for me.

****ing coward.
    Sweater
    Never play chess with a pigeon. The pigeon just knocks all the pieces over. Then craps all over the board. Then struts around like it won.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    How likely are the barn cats to stay in the barn if you get someone to take them? We have had luck getting kittens that grow up in the barn to stick around. But a re-homed barn cat? I would assume it would just try to head back "home".
    I have a couple buddies that have done a program similar through the Longmont Humane Society. They were told that they should lock the cats in the barn that the people wanted them in for a long period (believe it was like 3-6 months) before allowing them to wander freely. 2 of my friends it has worked out very well for. One hasn't seen the cat since after the first week. Guess it found it's way out of the barn and never looked back.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BGDOG View Post
    Mice in general don't bother me, but a Biblical plague of them gives me the FREAKING hibbejibbbes (sic)
    Mice do not really bother me in that sense but my wife on the other hand... After moving to a larger property surrounded by farm fields and open space, I have come to passionately HATE mice just because of how they cause my wife to act. I have a hard time keeping up with the mice around my property, and they aren't really that bad. Couldn't imagine a plague of them.

Member #
    Images
    I'm also out in the country surrounded by pastures and fields. Mice are all over out there and they get in my shop, my house and my barns all the time. Annually I buy a 5 gallon bucket of mouse poison and I am putting it out in the traps at least once a month and use the whole thing before winter sets in. The big issue with mice where I am is that it brings snakes. Where there's food for the snakes they will magically appear. Keeping them under control is a job all in its own.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I have a couple buddies that have done a program similar through the Longmont Humane Society. They were told that they should lock the cats in the barn that the people wanted them in for a long period (believe it was like 3-6 months) before allowing them to wander freely. 2 of my friends it has worked out very well for. One hasn't seen the cat since after the first week. Guess it found it's way out of the barn and never looked back.
    I volunteer in Longmont.

Basically yes, you keep them locked up for awhile, providing food and water.

Usually they stick around after this time, if you continue to provide food and water, but if they find somewhere better, that's where they will stay.

They usually go for $10, so you're not out much.

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    I dont have a way to lock in a cat. I will just stick with kitten starters. I can usually find them for free anyway. I do invest in getting them fixed just to avoid a cat plague that a friend of mine has from time to time.

Member #
    I volunteer in Longmont.

Basically yes, you keep them locked up for awhile, providing food and water.

Usually they stick around after this time, if you continue to provide food and water, but if they find somewhere better, that's where they will stay.

They usually go for $10, so you're not out much.
    I just checked, Barn Cats are now $40, that includes having them fixed. I don't usually look at the cost.

Member #
    I dont have a way to lock in a cat. I will just stick with kitten starters. I can usually find them for free anyway. I do invest in getting them fixed just to avoid a cat plague that a friend of mine has from time to time.
    Yes, if you can't keep them locked in, you don't qualify for a Barn Cat.

I'm happy to hear you get your kittens fixed. It's currently kitten season at the shelter!!!!

Member #
    Images
    I volunteer in Longmont.
    Awesome and thank you! My wife and I used to volunteer there as well, before our move to Broomfield. They hold a special place in our hearts as I have had an uncle that was the Santa for Xmas photos there every year, and then we got our beloved hound there 12 years ago. They do such great work finding homes for animals that are difficult to rehome. Wish I was able to make more time for them nowadays.

Member #
    Images
    Yes, if you can't keep them locked in, you don't qualify for a Barn Cat.
    Well, I could if I was starting over from scratch so to speak. I prefer overlap so I always have active mousers to work and teach. I can lock in cats to the barn storeroom where the cats live (heated in winter), but that would prevent the current cats from access. Anyway, good to know if I end up catless and cannot get kittens anywhere.

Do you clip the ear on the barn cats you are re-homing? Or is the ear status when they come in determine if it is rehomed as barn cat or house cat?

Member #
    Well, I could if I was starting over from scratch so to speak. I prefer overlap so I always have active mousers to work and teach. I can lock in cats to the barn storeroom where the cats live (heated in winter), but that would prevent the current cats from access. Anyway, good to know if I end up catless and cannot get kittens anywhere.

Do you clip the ear on the barn cats you are re-homing? Or is the ear status when they come in determine if it is rehomed as barn cat or house cat?
    Yes, Barn Cats have an ear clipped, so you know they are fixed. Same as a TNR Cat, but we don't trap and release back into the community.

We get cats in that are obviously going to be Barn Cats.

We try to work with cats, that have a potential to become socialized, as it's easier to place a social cat.

I'm Red Cat trained, so I'm able to work with all cats in the shelter. It's great when you can see a cat improving with it's social skills, but there are those that are pretty much never going to come around.

Member #
    Awesome and thank you! My wife and I used to volunteer there as well, before our move to Broomfield. They hold a special place in our hearts as I have had an uncle that was the Santa for Xmas photos there every year, and then we got our beloved hound there 12 years ago. They do such great work finding homes for animals that are difficult to rehome. Wish I was able to make more time for them nowadays.
    Thanks, my wife and I started 2 years ago this month.

It's the highlight of my week!!!

Member #
    Images
    Real talk.... how scrapped up and mauled are you?!! LOL
    Thanks for doing this too!!!

Yes, Barn Cats have an ear clipped, so you know they are fixed. Same as a TNR Cat, but we don't trap and release back into the community.

We get cats in that are obviously going to be Barn Cats.

We try to work with cats, that have a potential to become socialized, as it's easier to place a social cat.

I'm Red Cat trained, so I'm able to work with all cats in the shelter. It's great when you can see a cat improving with it's social skills, but there are those that are pretty much never going to come around.

Member #
    Real talk.... how scrapped up and mauled are you?!! LOL
    Thanks for doing this too!!!
    I try to be careful, but I had a kitten do a number on me awhile back. Was doing great, until someone came and slammed the door. I was bleeding like a stuck pig, from my hand all the way up to my elbow.

I have been nipped and slightly scratched a number of times. Cats change moods quicker than my reflexes.

Last Saturday, a dog turned and nipped me on the inner thigh, just below the groin. I was holding a door open, the dog appeared to be happy, We thought he was interested in meeting me, at the last minute, he lunged and caught my jeans. Startled me good!!!!

I would still rather deal with animals, than people. Well, except flirting with the young ladies.

All in all, I enjoy spending time with all of the animals. It's really tough to not bring some of them home. I have fallen in love with several, but part of the deal, was to not bring every stray dog and cat home.

We did rescue three rats a couple of months ago. They were a bonded trio and had to go together. We figured nobody but us, would be willing to do that. We have had pet rats on and off for the past 35 years, we had just lost are last one, so we had an excuse to fill the gap.

Member #
    Images
    This is AWESOME!!!!
    I did chuckle at a few of your comments, but overall you warmed my cold heart.
    Hope your pool game is going strong too!

I try to be careful, but I had a kitten do a number on me awhile back. Was doing great, until someone came and slammed the door. I was bleeding like a stuck pig, from my hand all the way up to my elbow.

I have been nipped and slightly scratched a number of times. Cats change moods quicker than my reflexes.

Last Saturday, a dog turned and nipped me on the inner thigh, just below the groin. I was holding a door open, the dog appeared to be happy, We thought he was interested in meeting me, at the last minute, he lunged and caught my jeans. Startled me good!!!!

I would still rather deal with animals, than people. Well, except flirting with the young ladies.

All in all, I enjoy spending time with all of the animals. It's really tough to not bring some of them home. I have fallen in love with several, but part of the deal, was to not bring every stray dog and cat home.

We did rescue three rats a couple of months ago. They were a bonded trio and had to go together. We figured nobody but us, would be willing to do that. We have had pet rats on and off for the past 35 years, we had just lost are last one, so we had an excuse to fill the gap.

Member #
    This is AWESOME!!!!
    I did chuckle at a few of your comments, but overall you warmed my cold heart.
    Hope your pool game is going strong too!
    I've gotten old and cannot see, so my pool game has suffered greatly.

I stopped playing in a league several years ago, so that didn't help my game either.

I play occasionally, but it's not very encouraging!!!

I try to add a bit of humor, but I'm not very good at it. I'm too serious most of the time.

Member #
    Images
    Does anyone actually listen to PETA anymore? They are calling for "catch and release" of the mice instead of killing them off.

Member #
    Does anyone actually listen to PETA anymore? They are calling for "catch and release" of the mice instead of killing them off.
    Might be worthwhile if the "release" part of "catch and release" was about 2 miles out in the ocean. It would be interesting to see what critters would feed on the floating buffet. It's all about the circle of life, PETA!
    '96 Grand Cherokee with stuff done to it.