Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nfl 2021

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Broncos ditch Lindsay during the off season and then move up in the draft to get a RB with the same style to replace him. Why didn't they just tender Phillip and not waste draft pick?
    I personally don't know much about the NC RB they took, but agree that Lindsay should've stayed home.

Member #
    I don't watch the draft after round 1, but peek in on the results....

Raiders seem to have gotten a good Safety
    Bucs took QB Kyle Trask
    In rd 3 the Vikes take QB Kellen Mond and the Texans take the QB from Stanford

Member #
    Images
    I am confused. How would this not be both?

Rodgers is only 37. Given his health and fitness, I could see a solid 5-7 years more without much of a decline.

If Broncos' young players continue to develop as they have, the only real glaring needs are QB and an LB able to cover well. A actually have a decent mix of young and veteran players and have their cap under control. A mild aged QB with decent talent would fit in perfect with the young receiver core, and a solid defense led by Fangio.
    I was actually talking about this yesterday with a buddy. If I look back at all of the picks and moves in the last 5 years since PFM, it isn't painting the picture that we are doing a great job of grooming talent, that we are just interested trading already found talent from other teams. I would think there would be a different draft approach if we kept pushing for veteran players to come here and then drafted accordingly.

I am all for moving in that direction if we want to be that team, but we need to make some bigger, longer term changes with how we approach drafts and trades if we want to be that team.
    hookers and blow!

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Ja'Wuan James hurts himself once again. Out for season, again. Only upside, is that he hurt himself while working out AWAY from the Broncos facility, so they won't be on the hook for his salary.

Guess we will never know how well he would have played RT for Broncos. Thinking they will cut him and move on. But with who?

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/202...fWzSbH9o3DypdY

Denver Broncos right tackle Ja’Wuan James has suffered a season-ending Achilles injury, ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported Tuesday.

Because James was working out away from the facility when the injury happened, the Broncos are no longer obligated to pay the $10 million salary he was scheduled to receive this year, according to Schefter. So the right tackle’s roster spot could be in jeopardy.

After signing a four-year, $51 million contract with Denver two years ago, James missed all but three games with injuries in 2019 and then opted out of the 2020 season. If averaged out by games played, James has earned about $5.66 million per contest during his time with the Broncos.

Denver did not select any offensive tackles in the NFL draft, so the team is now extremely thin at the position. Garett Bolles will start at left tackle and top backup Calvin Anderson is in line to replace James on the right side.

The Broncos will now likely be in the market to trade for a tackle.

Member #
    Images
    Ja'Wuan James hurts himself once again. Out for season, again. Only upside, is that he hurt himself while working out AWAY from the Broncos facility, so they won't be on the hook for his salary.

Guess we will never know how well he would have played RT for Broncos. Thinking they will cut him and move on. But with who?

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/202...fWzSbH9o3DypdY
    Lots of rumors swirling about this. Guess the PA/union believe the Broncos should still be on the hook, or at least should pay still out of the kindness of their own hearts. Heard a rumor that the Broncos have stated they would still cover his "guaranteed" money if it didn't count against their cap. The way this plays out will be interesting since the PA/union asked the players to stay away from the facilities (see earlier posts).
    Last edited by Aaron; May 6th, 2021 at 10:55 AM.

Member #
    Aaron Rodgers may have a tough time leaving Green Bay now...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/green...fe-if-he-stays

Member #
    Images
    I'm so sick of all the rumors around Rodgers. JUST PAY THE MAN AND FIRE GUTENKUNST ALREADY!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Jon, AKA The Man With The Plan, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Illegitimi non Carborundum = "Don't let the bastards get you down" Micris Fidelis="Faithful to small things" And it's an anagram...I'll let you figure it out

Member #
    Images
    Turns out this whole story was fabricated by Schefter.

Member #
    Images
    NFLPA is a joke. They screw up and tell their players to boycott but don't want to accept the consequences when bad stuff happens. All because they have no power in negotiations since their players aren't willing to miss any game/salary. Sounds like the union isn't an actual union. They do not all believe or stand for the same thing. Maybe, just maybe, the union should look inward for once? This is really a matter of difference of opinion between veteran players and young newer players. Younger guys are still hungry and unpaid, veterans who already make money don't want to do more than they have too.
    Last edited by Aaron; May 7th, 2021 at 11:01 AM.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man With The Plan View Post
    Turns out this whole story was fabricated by Schefter.

Great interview he did about it too. Kept his coffee mug in front of his face the entire time and then took a drink after every lie he told. Wonder which party, GB or Rodgers, got him to pony up for taking the blame?

Per Ian Rapoport:
    Ian said today the Jags will sign him in a week or so - one year deal.
    Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    The Broncos' schedule makes 8-8 seem reasonable. It's sad that is really all we can hope for.

Member #
    Images
    Finally some depth at the position. I wasn't too keen on the Massie signing as he is VERY injury prone. But having another vet there to push and to take over if necessary is awesome.
    https://www.9news.com/mobile/article...e-55c7a25931a1

Member #
    People still care?
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Aaron might.

After he recovers from his tractor trip.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    Hmmm, anyone know anything about him?

Member #
    Images
    70+ Broncos show up to phase 2 of OTA's, James injury is likely reason

https://www.9news.com/article/sports...8-dc2f99813c0a

Hmmm, anyone know anything about him?
    Supposedly set a bunch of records in college...

Member #
    Images
    James files grievance against the Broncos, and signs with the Ravens for $500K this year and $8.5mil in 2022 if he passes a physical. Just happy to have him gone from the Broncos roster and think the grievance files against the Broncos should have been filed against the PA instead.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...es-per-report/

Ravens sign Ja'Wuan James to $9 million deal despite former Broncos tackle's torn Achilles, per report
    James just filed a grievance against his old team

Ja'Wuan James is seeking approximately $15 million in lost wages through a grievance filed against his former team, the Broncos, on Monday. But the veteran offensive tackle won't have to wait for Denver to potentially pay up to earn big bucks over the next few seasons. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Ravens have signed James to a two-year, $9 million deal despite the lineman suffering a torn Achilles this offseason, in hopes the former first-round pick will be ready to suit up in 2022.

James' deal is contingent on the 29-year-old tackle passing a physical with the Ravens, per Schefter, but "no issues (are) expected" in that regard. Baltimore will pay the veteran $500,000 guaranteed to rehabilitate this year, then have James under contract at more than $8 million in 2022. It's a drastic turn of events for James, who was released by the Broncos 10 days after tearing his Achilles while working out away from team facilities, losing about $13 million he was originally due this year.

James, who spent the first five seasons of his career with the Dolphins, has only played three games over the last two years. He's battled injury issues since entering the NFL, missing nine games in 2015, eight in 2017 and 13 in 2019. He also opted out of the entire 2020 campaign due to COVID-19 and will miss the entire 2021 season while recovering from his injury.

His grievance claims his recent Achilles tear should be considered a football injury, as Denver saved money by cutting him after placing him on the non-football injury list. His offsite workout also occurred in part, the grievance argues, because Broncos players had been advised by the NFL Players Association to work out independently in place of voluntary team workouts early in the offseason.

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    Demaryius Thomas to retire as Bronco.

Member #
    Images
    Teddy Bridgewater named Broncos starting QB

https://www.9news.com/article/sports...e-f3067b9cf3bc

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — At mid-morning Wednesday, Broncos head coach Vic Fangio notified his players and coaches of a special meeting that would begin at 10:50 a.m.

Shortly before Fangio met with Teddy Bridgewater and Drew Lock, the two contestants in The Great Quarterback Competition, and informed them of his choice to start in the season opener Sept. 12 against the New York Giants in New Jersey.

Those three then went directly to the team meeting where Fangio made the announcement to the team: Bridgewater was the starting quarterback.

Bridgewater had been in a spring and summer-long competition with Lock, the returning starte, for the right to take the first snap at MetLife Stadium against the Giants. While both quarterbacks had their moments where it appeared they deserved the No. 1 billing, Bridgewater cinched it with his sublime performance Saturday against the Seattle Seahawks.

Bridgewater led the Broncos to two touchdowns on his two drives against the Seahawks and completed 9 of 11 for 105 yards that included a 35-yard strike to Jerry Jeudy to convert a fourth-and-5, a completion that set up the first touchdown and a 22-yard completion to tight end Eric Saubert that led to another.

Bridgewater performed well with the first- and second-team offenses during the preseason. He came off the bench the previous week in the Broncos’ preseason opener at Minnesota and completed 7 of 8 for 74 yards while leading the No. 2-3 units to a touchdown and field goal in two drives.

Had it not been for a penalty that nullified Bridgewater’s 12-yard scoring scramble against the Vikings, Bridgewater would have had four touchdowns in four preseason drives.

Lock was sensational in his start against the Vikings, completing 5 of 7 for 151 yards and two touchdowns – one of which was a gorgeous 80-yard pass to receiver KJ Hamler. Lock was a penalty away from guiding the offense to three touchdowns in three drives that day. He was not as effective playing with the No. 2 offense in the next preseason game against Seattle, although he did lead his team to three field goals in five drives.

Fangio had promised a 50-50 split in reps for Bridgewater and Lock and that’s the way it played out starting in late-May with OTAs, followed by the mandatory minicamp in mid-June and training camp that began in late-July.

Bridgewater, who turns 29 on November 10, has a 26-23 career record as a starter with the Vikings, Saints and Panthers with an 89.5 passer rating. Lock, who turns 25 on the same November 10 day, has an 8-10 record as the Broncos’ starter with a 79.1 rating.

The Broncos acquired Bridgewater plus $7 million of his $11.5 million salary from the Carolina Panthers on the eve of the NFL Draft in exchange for a 2021 sixth-round draft pick. Carolina then traded that sixth-round pick to the Eagles, who took defensive end Tarron Jackson.

Another reason why Bridgewater made sense: There is so much youth elsewhere on the Broncos' offense. Receivers Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler are barely 22 years old. Rookie running back Javonte Williams is a few months past 21. Tight ends Noah Fant and Albert Okwuegbuna are 23. Young centers Lloyd Cushenberry III (23) and Quinn Meinerz (22) are younger than Lock, who is one of the kids.

Bridgewater is one of those vets who commands respect just by standing there. When talks and lends advice. the kids listen. Or at least they better now.

Broncos play their final preseason game Saturday night against the Los Angeles Rams at Empower Field at Mile High. The game kicks off at 7:05 p.m. with the stadium allowed to hold a full capacity of fans. The game can also be viewed on Channel 20.

Member #
    Images
    Anyone heading to the last Broncos' preseason game this Saturday?

Member #
    Images
    Cam Newton released. About time. Any bets on where he shows up again?

I feel that most all the teams have their QB set, and Newton might be sitting this one out until a team has their #1 and #2 QB injured.

Honestly, I have never been a Cam Newton fan and hope the NFL passes him by. Seems like more of a liability than an asset with his attitude.
    '96 Grand Cherokee with stuff done to it.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I feel that most all the teams have their QB set, and Newton might be sitting this one out until a team has their #1 and #2 QB injured.

Honestly, I have never been a Cam Newton fan and hope the NFL passes him by. Seems like more of a liability than an asset with his attitude.
    You don't seem to be alone in your line of thinking.

Member #
    Images
    Mini bye week this weekend before the start of the new 17 week season. I think I will end up liking more regular season games. Anyone against it?

At first I was against it simply because of tradition. But I'd much rather watch regular season games that actually count than the "auditions" that the preseason really is, so I've turned to being in favor.

Member #
    Just ready for the season to start....

Member #
    Just can’t exited for it anymore.
    Wandering in the wilderness.

Member #
    Images
    More behind the scenes trouble brewing. Really looking like the broncos will be sold since none of the kids can agree to anything...

https://www.milehighreport.com/2021/...-paton-broncos

Member #
    Images
    Decent game tonight to kickoff the season. Brady and the Bucs looked decent but a little rusty. They really didn't show anything new, and their defense didn't seem as good as it was last year. Dak and the Cowboys looked pretty darn good except for their kicker. It was good to see Dak play the way he did. Doesn't look like he took a step back because of the injury. Parsons looked as good as I thought he would. Still wishing Denver would have snagged him.

Member #
    From Fox News - Bucs-Cowboys opener begins with Black national anthem
    Bucs-Cowboys opener begins with Black national anthem

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bucs-...ational-anthem

Member #
    Images
    Ravens had a rough practice yesterday. They lost both CB Marcus Peters and RB Gus Edwards to acl tears. Big bummer for them especially with the cb shortage the league is seeing.

Member #
    Images
    Great opening week! Therw were some awesome games played this weekend. The KC v Cleveland game was outstanding. Also enjoyed watching MNF with the Manning brothers and the ridiculous ot.

There was some interesting calls though. Like when Harrison of CLE got ejected for pushing a KC coach, but only after the coach pushed him first, and the coach didn't get into any trouble. Or when the broncos fumbled and the Giants recovered it out of bounds. Ball was ruled Giants, and should have been overturned but the head official phoned in and told the refs not to overturn it.

What games did you enjoy?