Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2021

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images

Nfl 2021

Time for a new thread. Probably should have started one as soon as free agency started, but I was lazy and kept posting in the 2020 thread. Anywho, NFL news:

NFL finally moves to a 17 game schedule. Thoughts?

Goodell announces earlier today that the NFL will have full capacity crowds at all home games this year. Didn't say how they'd pull that off, given some states restrictions, but he was confident. Guessing they will make those attending show proof of vaccination. Thoughts?

And the 2021 Draft will be held in Cleveland, and the layout was shown. Will feature indoor and outdoor areas along the water. But those who will want to participate MUST be vaccinated.

The vaccination thing doesn't surprise me at all. I suspect that proof of vaccination will be required for air travel by the end of the year, all as a part of the "new normal" that we were promised.

Overall, given the weirdness of last year, the NFL handled COVID better than the other major sports. All the games got played, and most stadiums were allowed limited fans at some point.

17 game season is OK by me. It's all about the $$, and face it, pre-season games don't generate the TV revenue. I do like how they're putting teams on a rotating international game also, and doing it when they have the "extra" home game so there is no lost local revenue.

Draft for me is a "meh". Don't always watch in real time, too much talking head stuff for my taste.
    '96 Grand Cherokee with stuff done to it.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    The vaccination thing doesn't surprise me at all. I suspect that proof of vaccination will be required for air travel by the end of the year, all as a part of the "new normal" that we were promised.
    A buddy had a different thought, that vaccinations will not be required for regular season games. Just sign the waiver by way f purchasing the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I do like how they're putting teams on a rotating international game also, and doing it when they have the "extra" home game so there is no lost local revenue.
    Not sure how I feel about that. I understand that since the seasons will HAVE to be limited to a certain number of games due to player fatigue. And that the only way for the NFL to keep making higher profits from the last year is for them to then expand the league. And with the number of skilled QB's coming out of college, they really shouldn't have a player shortage. And I can even see adding in a couple Canadian teams and maybe one in Mexico City. But once you start putting teams in London and other places overseas, I can see travel being a HUGE issue. Not only for players but for fans as well.

Member #
    Images
    Hmmm Rex might be on to something with the Jimmy G to Patriots trade...

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hmmm Rex might be on to something with the Jimmy G to Patriots trade...

Member #
    Interesting dialogue in those videos ....

I agree with a lot of those points ... I saw Shanahan at Mac Jones' pro day ... I dunno, but he might be overlooking Justin Fields at #3 pick. Everyone has a bad game, but off-season workouts combined with physical ability/talent is something to be considered.

Don't shoot me (and I may eat these words), but there's been a segment in the back of my brain that worried about Darnold coming to Denver and I hope that does not happen.

BillyBelly has something with Jimmy G, just don't know about the $ aspect now.

It's always fun to watch how it all unfolds

Surprised to see Mac Jones' stock rising in the draft, even right after the national championship he was not being projects to go until the third round.

Patrick Surtain isn't NFL caliber yet, he is good but unless he improves dramatically he wont make it through the cuts, benefited from the defensive scheme and superior overall talent of the team.

Really the only part of the NFL that appeals to me anymore is seeing how many Bama players go in each round.
    " A mans rights rest in three boxes; the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box" Fredrick Douglass
    "The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them" George Orwell

Member #
    Images
    Sam Darnold to the Panthers for a few draft picks.

DeShawn Watson is now being criminally investigated and currently has 22 law suits filed against him.

Sports Illustrated rated the Broncos free agency move of signing Ronald Darby as the worst move of the off season thus far...

Member #
    Glad that Darnold found a home ... and that it is not Denver

Member #
    Images
    Any bets as to if Watson plays this year?

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't.

Nobody wants all the drama - and it won't be over anytime soon. THAT's the leverage his accusers have...no work, no money.
    Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    I'd be willing to bet he doesn't.

Nobody wants all the drama - and it won't be over anytime soon. THAT's the leverage his accusers have...no work, no money.
    If he shows up to camp, Texans owe him $10 million, even if he is on the exempt list. So Texans will want him traded or playing.

Member #
    My bet is he will get suspended by the NFL, cause you know thatís what they do before the facts are in. It will happen before he has to report to camp getting Houston off the hook for the money. With what 22 accusers now not much chance this will go away. Chance of him playing is about zero percent.
    Wandering in the wilderness.

Member #
    Images
    The end to the offseason workouts??? Broncos first NFL team to back out of offseason program. Then the Bears and Browns players, who along with the Seahawks, Patriots, Lions and Bucs announced most or all of their players would not participate in the offseason program.

Bunch of lazy bitches, part of the reason I just can't bring myself to support the league anymore.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
    Bunch of lazy bitches, part of the reason I just can't bring myself to support the league anymore.
    Well, they are not really paid enough for that of course.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Member #
    Images
    The end to the offseason workouts??? Broncos first NFL team to back out of offseason program. Then the Bears and Browns players, who along with the Seahawks, Patriots, Lions and Bucs announced most or all of their players would not participate in the offseason program.
    20+ Broncos still show up to camp besides the boycott:

https://www.9news.com/article/sports...e-b74c292e6ce4

Member #
    Images
    Watson putting up a fight or just pushing his accusers toward settlement?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...son-are-lying/

Member #
    Images
    Draft is only a couple days away!

Who do you think will be the first QB's off the board? Think more than 4 QB's go in the first round? Believe the rumors that the Broncos want Trey Lance out of ND?

I am hoping the Broncos solve the LB issue in the first round (with say Micah Parsons outta Penn St) rather than yet another unproven QB. They haven't been great at picking or developing QB's but with the new GM maybe. Would be nice to see exactly what Lock is with an OC he has had more than a year with, and a real full season of football without injuries and with a real of season.
    Last edited by Aaron; April 27th, 2021 at 02:43 PM.

Broncos picking a D2 QB in the first round would be a big mistake, that's why they will probably do it.

I think Wilson will probably be the 1st QB. Surprised that the two receivers from AL are forecast to go outside the top 10, I think both are year 1 NFL ready.

Member #
    Images
    Believe the rumors that the Broncos want Trey Lance out of ND?

I am hoping the Broncos solve the LB issue in the first round (with say Micah Parsons outta Penn St) rather than yet another unproven QB. They haven't been great at picking or developing QB's but with the new GM maybe. Would be nice to see exactly what Lock is with an OC he has had more than a year with, and a real full season of football without injuries and with a real of season.
    LB Micah Parsons is looking like the best option at #9 after this morning's trade.

Broncos trade 6th round pick to Panthers for Teddy Bridgewater.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ODuWRFU_KGTaAk

Last edited by Aaron; April 28th, 2021 at 01:16 PM.

The Bridgewater trade seems like a good use of a 6th round pick

Member #
    Images
    Daft begins this evening!

Member #
    Images
    Per Ian Rapoport:

Update on former first-round pick:
    Tim Tebow recently worked out for the Jaguars, source said, and there has been at least some discussion of signing him. Oh, and he's a tight end now.

Member #
    Images
    Aaron Rodgers officially wants out of Green Bay. So now what? Draft time trade? Aaron plays out his contract? He says screw it and becomes the host of Jeopardy!?

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...t-of-green-bay

Member #
    Images
    Aaron Rodgers officially wants out of Green Bay. So now what? Draft time trade? Aaron plays out his contract? He says screw it and becomes the host of Jeopardy!?

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...t-of-green-bay
    :My Dreams:

Rodger traded to Denver for Lock and/or Bridgewater and the #9 pick this year. Broncos become competitive once again.

Member #
    Images
    Per Ian Rapoport:
    You know..... i made a comment that he should have made this switch 8 years ago and was looked at like an idiot. Imagine the potential reverse plays with a decent qb in place?
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Images
    :My Dreams:

Rodger traded to Denver for Lock and/or Bridgewater and the #9 pick this year. Broncos become competitive once again.
    Ugh.... the immediate satisfaction requirement needs to end, we need to actually build a real dynasty instead of being the senior retirement patch. You spend more hunting than you do cultivating with the right talent.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    Ugh.... the immediate satisfaction requirement needs to end, we need to actually build a real dynasty instead of being the senior retirement patch. You spend more hunting than you do cultivating with the right talent.
    I am confused. How would this not be both?

Rodgers is only 37. Given his health and fitness, I could see a solid 5-7 years more without much of a decline.

If Broncos' young players continue to develop as they have, the only real glaring needs are QB and an LB able to cover well. A actually have a decent mix of young and veteran players and have their cap under control. A mild aged QB with decent talent would fit in perfect with the young receiver core, and a solid defense led by Fangio.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    You know..... i made a comment that he should have made this switch 8 years ago and was looked at like an idiot. Imagine the potential reverse plays with a decent qb in place?
    You are not alone, a lot of people thought this way.

Member #
    I'm excited to see the draft .... Curious to see if draft-positions get traded and if the 49ers make a play for Rodgers.

Curious if Denver trades down since they got Bridgewater .... can't remember if it's Kiper or McShay that has Justin Fields slipping to 9 and Denver taking him....

And the Broncos choose Patrick Surtain II, Corner Back from Alabama, in the first round.

Member #
    Images
    And the Broncos choose Patrick Surtain II, Corner Back from Alabama, in the first round.
    It's good to see that nothing has changed with the Broncos drafting, even with the new GM. Sure this could be seen as a pick for the long term future, but CB wasn't even close to a need. Cover LB was and still is. Do they really want Jewel covering Kelce again?

Member #
    Images
    My wife called it. I was hoping for a trade with GB or the LB Parsons, my wife stated she thought they'd do something stupid to waste the pick, like pick up another QB, WR, or CB. She was right once again...

You married a smart woman.

But we all knew that.....

Member #
    My best friend who lives there and has season tickets swears up and down that the Broncos have to have a deal done with a trade for Aaron Rodgers and they are just working on a contract. He says that is the only thing that makes sense because they passed on other talent. I told him it was elway was still in control. I guess we will see but i doubt it......a lot.

Member #
    Images
    You married a smart woman.

But we all knew that.....

Lol, 10 years of marriage to that lovely gal this Saturday. Still don't know why she settled on me...

Member #
    Not really any surprises in the 1st few picks .... Don't know what Fields will yield, but the Bears are probably pretty happy to get him at 11.

A couple of pick-trades were interesting .... Eagles trading up with Cowboys to get DeVonta Smith, but probably a good pick. Jets trading up to get #14 overall from the Vikes.

The Steelers may have "stolen" a RB with Najee Harris at #24. His film looks good, but tough to judge at Alabama.

Not sure the Jags taking Clemson RB Travis Etienne at 25 was a popular choice, but I like him with there with Trevor Lawrence ... I might be wrong.

I think Bellichick is happy to sit at 15 and get Mac Jones ... seems like he fits there.

Member #
    Images
    Next couple of days should prove to be interesting. Lots floating around in the rumor mill.

I really liked the Lions' pick of Penei Sewell and really appreciated their and their fans' pure excitement of landing him. Dude hasn't even fully grown into his "adult" body yet at 20 years old. Proven to be a machine already, and will sure to turn into a true BEAST under good NFL coaching.

Agree with Rex that Belichick is probably happy they were able to get Jones. Though I do think Cam is be the starter at the beginning of the season still.

Not a huge fan of drafting a RB in the first round, but I also think Etienne to the Jags will be a good and needed fit.

Am looking forward to the next few rounds!

Member #
    Images
    Broncos ditch Lindsay during the off season and then move up in the draft to get a RB with the same style to replace him. Why didn't they just tender Phillip and not waste draft pick?