Member #
    Images

My new "tow rig."

2007 Jayco Seneca HD 33SS

Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Congrats!

How's it do pulling the buggy and trailer?

Member #
    Images
    Don't know yet but it should be fine. Might do a short trip to Penrose to test it out soon.

Member #
    Images
    Gotcha. Was wondering more about the mountain passes.

Member #
    Nice! I've been pondering a Super C to replace the 5th wheel ... but been also pondering a 5th wheel toy hauler ... all those options end up being way longer than I want to be.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Gotcha. Was wondering more about the mountain passes.
    I think it will do fine there too. It has a 6.6L Duramax and Allison tranny. It went up the few passes coming home from SLC, UT on I80 with ease. It also has an exhaust brake for the downhills.

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    Nice! I've been pondering a Super C to replace the 5th wheel ... but been also pondering a 5th wheel toy hauler ... all those options end up being way longer than I want to be.
    I also considered a toy hauler and even a small 5th wheel and then double pull the buggy. Each has pros and cons.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by newracer View Post
    I also considered a toy hauler and even a small 5th wheel and then double pull the buggy. Each has pros and cons.
    I'm seriously thinking about welding a hitch on the current 5th wheel (it's only a 27') and double tow the ATV trailer. My wife goes into complete panic any time I mention doubles - memories of an accident years ago.
    My turnoff with toy haulers is living in the garage, until you get up to the bigger ones, and I don't want to go over about 32' trailer length.

Agreed on the pros and cons. Seems like there isn't just one perfect RV... guess a guy needs one of each!

Member #
    Images
    I think it will do fine there too. It has a 6.6L Duramax and Allison tranny. It went up the few passes coming home from SLC, UT on I80 with ease. It also has an exhaust brake for the downhills.

Ooo you will LOVE the exhaust brake. At least I love my Pac brake. Think you will like the allison too. I have become a fan.

New vacation home looks great! Sure you will enjoy it for years to come!

Member #
    Images
    It's basically the same drive train as my pickup minus the exhaust brake. My pickup has been great for towing. I had the brake on while driving it home but really didn't notice much benefit as there wasn't very many steep hills and it wasn't loaded down with supplies or a trailer.

Member #
    Images
    It's basically the same drive train as my pickup minus the exhaust brake. My pickup has been great for towing. I had the brake on while driving it home but really didn't notice much benefit as there wasn't very many steep hills and it wasn't loaded down with supplies or a trailer.
    The toter should have a true medium duty Allison. Your 2500 has a detuned Allison with different clutches and other components as people thought the medium duty trans shifted too hard with in the smaller trucks.

Member #
    Images
    I have figured out it has the 1000 HS transmission.

Member #
    Images
    Made a quick short trip to Moab over the weekend.

Ruger was my copilot most of the way but he wasn't very attentive.

The rig ran great. Not as fast over the passes as I hoped for but acceptable, 45-55 mph. It warmed up a little but didn't comes close to overheating and the transmission temp was low.

We camped near Area BFE where an Ultra 4 race was being held. My nephew is a mechanic for one of the race teams.

First day we ran Baby Lions Back and Fins N Things, my brother in law in his Scout and my son in his Tacoma joined us. The second day my brother in law rode with me on Hell's Revenge.

Even though it was short it was a great trip. Was able to figure out how to work everything in the RV and what we need for future trips.

One highlight was meeting a brand new owner of a Gladiator Rubicon at the staging area for Fins N Things, still had temp tags. They recently moved to Colorado, Riifle, from the east coast and bought the Jeep to take advantage of our great outdoors. He was questioning if his rig could make it. I gave him some pointers, general advice, and told him he could join us on the trail. It was him, his wife, and three little kids. I talked to them midway through the trail and they all were having a blast. The wife and kids were telling him to go faster over the rolling hills and he told them he couldn't see over the hood and needed to keep it slow. By the end of the trail the two littlest kids were fast asleep, he said they all had a great time and was planning on trying Hell's Revenge the next day.

Member #
    Images
    Happy to hear that it is working out for you and that you are enjoying it!