Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Images
    I could quote the part that struck me, but I think the response to my comment should be enough....

Gun Background Checks - I have zero issue with them as I have nothing to hide. My issue is the fact that the system is set up to also collect the gun information. My wife just got her first firearm and the FFL couldn't do any paperwork until they had the gun in hand because they needed the serial number. What if I wanted to pick up a pair of shotgun's for my son and I to take up trap shooting together. That means 2 background checks for me as he is only 16. Why do we need to have things be at this level. Lets vet and check the people needed, but why can't it be something that has a 30/60/90 day type window and is easily verified through an online platform. Why do I need to fill a new one out for each firearm? That seems a little silly to me, but I also understand that everything needs to have an expiration.

Thoughts?
    hookers and blow!

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    I could quote the part that struck me, but I think the response to my comment should be enough....

Gun Background Checks - I have zero issue with them as I have nothing to hide. My issue is the fact that the system is set up to also collect the gun information. My wife just got her first firearm and the FFL couldn't do any paperwork until they had the gun in hand because they needed the serial number. What if I wanted to pick up a pair of shotgun's for my son and I to take up trap shooting together. That means 2 background checks for me as he is only 16. Why do we need to have things be at this level. Lets vet and check the people needed, but why can't it be something that has a 30/60/90 day type window and is easily verified through an online platform. Why do I need to fill a new one out for each firearm? That seems a little silly to me, but I also understand that everything needs to have an expiration.

Thoughts?
    If the firearms are bought by the same individual, at the same time, only one check is needed.

Member #
    Images
    Thoughts?
    The TSA doesnt run your background every time you buy a ticket. I have to renew it every 5 years (i think...something like that). If you choose to get a Trusted Buyer ID that could speed you through the background? The FFL could do a quick automated check of the Trusted Buyer ID number to catch if that card has been revoked for the variety of reasons someone would flunk the background check.

I would say there are ways to make things easier and more reasonable. However, I dont believe anyone in congress has any incentive to pursue such a thing, and most are more focused on making the system more difficult to discourage firearm purchases. And technology advances at a rate much greater than law can follow.
    Proudly un-offended.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    If the firearms are bought by the same individual, at the same time, only one check is needed.
    What would change it if they were 1 day apart? Asking more out of principle than anything

Member #
    Images
    What would change it if they were 1 day apart? Asking more out of principle than anything
    You could have beat up your girlfriend/wife last night and are now no longer eligible to purchase. Gotta recheck to make sure.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    You could have beat up your girlfriend/wife last night and are now no longer eligible to purchase. Gotta recheck to make sure.
    I mean, that is my normal course of action after getting out of jail, is to go buy another firearm, because at this point having enough that......

They are all at the bottom of the lake

Anyways, this thought was more prompted from the needing a serial number for a background check. Why do I need that, but I can get preapproved for a house no issue? Used in the right way, a house could kill way more people than a gun, and I could be pre approved to have one.

Member #
    Images
    Not an expert, but here is how I understand it.

The serial is on the form as proof a particular firearm was purchased, so it is harder to buy a cloud of ghost guns and build them later or something. Forms are sent to Fed gov. When the police "trace" a weapon found at a crime scene, what they are doing is submitting that serial number to .... I dont think it is the ATF, another govt agency I cant remember right now, .... that keeps all the background check forms on file. They have a team of people that thumb through boxes and boxes of the forms to identify who bought it originally and each ownership transfer that occurred. By law the forms cannot be converted to a database, no "registration" allowed. But from a logical layman's look, keeping the background forms is really no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    As far as I know my insurance company has been billed north of $500k. I've paid my premiums, and paid ~$5k out of pocket, with the insurance company picking up the rest.
    I dunno - it sounds like you've been paying into a pool of money for a while, and then when you needed a major expense covered that pool of money was used to cover your expenses. Unless you've paid half a million dollars into that pool up to this point you seem to have gotten more back than you put in.

Currently I and my employer pay my premiums to a health insurance company. I'm not saying those payments (like a tax!) would go away, but they'd hopefully go more directly to medical providers rather than filtering through a middleman.

And it's cool that you worked for the same company for 40 years. That's so got-damn rare of an opportunity in the US now. Times have changed, pensions are gone, unions are gone, and people simply don't have even the same opportunities I had maybe 30 years ago starting to enter the work force, and the cost of living is higher. Stop pretending that if everyone just followed your example they'd be fine - too many people don't even have the opportunityto follow your example, and even if they do they most likely would not be able to afford the same things that you have because the cost of living has outpaced wages in the US, one of those costs of living being healthcare.

- mike

Member #
    Images
    I didnít work for the same company all 40 years Mike. After getting out of the Navy I worked several different places, each of which required relocation. I worked for the same company the past 25 years out of Grand Junction. Changing employers and locations early in my career allowed me to move up the ladder faster. After the kids got married, had kids of their own and moved away we decided to buy our retirement home on the beach on a barrier island off the Florida coast. No wheeling here, but no snow either.

Iíve observed in my extensive work travel (over 3 million miles on Delta alone) that most younger people would never consider the military, and they wouldnít consider moving, which severely limits their job prospects and advancement opportunities. There are still incredible opportunities out there, but not for the lazy or those too comfortable and unwilling to take a chance.

The company I worked for had a big office in Portland, ME; loved visiting there in the summer but couldnít take winters there.

I guess my counter to every point Sweater has made is that if you want those things you have the freedom to travel to the country of your choosing to find what best fits your ideals. The US was/is the ONLY place on the planet that allowed for a man to rise or fall on his own merits, why must you take that from us? Where am I supposed to go when you have destroyed the only place that allows me to practice the belief that success is tough but dammit, I am tougher.

And second, I am extremely insulted that you keep insinuating that I am where I am because I had some magical opportunities that others don't have. My childhood would horrify you, but i found a way to make opportunity for myself, no one gave me a god damned thing. Success is ****ing hard, no matter where you start. Having started at the bottom I can tell you that most people aren't cut out for it, for the sacrifice or effort that it takes to achieve success. People that see me now only see what I have achieved, but they don't see what it took to get there, and then whine that I had more opportunities. You know not of what you speak.
    " A mans rights rest in three boxes; the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box" Fredrick Douglass
    "The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them" George Orwell

Member #
    Hey Look Ya'll .... It's a Bunny!

Member #
    Images
    I dunno, but that'd be piss poor planning. Multiple trips, multiple transfer fees, multiple background check fees, etc. Why not just get it all done in one trip?

I do understand the point, but if I say much more it will just turn into a "shall not infringe" argument and I don't need to start that. Was just pointing out that one could avoid the problem with some simple planning.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    Hey Look Ya'll .... It's a Bunny!

Are we supposed to shoot or just look. I am hungry and could use dinner...

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    Not an expert, but here is how I understand it.

The serial is on the form as proof a particular firearm was purchased, so it is harder to buy a cloud of ghost guns and build them later or something. Forms are sent to Fed gov. When the police "trace" a weapon found at a crime scene, what they are doing is submitting that serial number to .... I dont think it is the ATF, another govt agency I cant remember right now, .... that keeps all the background check forms on file. They have a team of people that thumb through boxes and boxes of the forms to identify who bought it originally and each ownership transfer that occurred. By law the forms cannot be converted to a database, no "registration" allowed. But from a logical layman's look, keeping the background forms is really no different.
    This is incorrect. Here in Colorado, there is no registration of firearms, and there is no box in some government agency full of these forms. The Form 4473 is held by the FFL who did your background check. It does not get sent anywhere else, unless that business shuts down. If a firearm is used in a crime, the government checks the manufacturer of the firearm to see where it was sent, usually a distributor. They then check the distributor to see where it was sent, usually an FFL. They then contact that FFL to see who purchased it. That is how a trace works.

The serial number is required on the Form 4473, but it is not transmitted to NICS or AICS for the background check, only if the purchase is a hand gun, long gun, or other.
    Contact me for all your firearms needs. Guns, ammo, accessories, NFA......

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepWheelin02 View Post
    This is incorrect. Here in Colorado, there is no registration of firearms, and there is no box in some government agency full of these forms. The Form 4473 is held by the FFL who did your background check. It does not get sent anywhere else, unless that business shuts down. If a firearm is used in a crime, the government checks the manufacturer of the firearm to see where it was sent, usually a distributor. They then check the distributor to see where it was sent, usually an FFL. They then contact that FFL to see who purchased it. That is how a trace works.

The serial number is required on the Form 4473, but it is not transmitted to NICS or AICS for the background check, only if the purchase is a hand gun, long gun, or other.

That sounds more correct. Maybe I am remembering some repository that keeps the forms from FFLs that go out of business or shut down.

eta: The National Tracing Center https://www.atf.gov/firearms/discont...s-licensee-ffl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMQ2b6ZwwCU
    Last edited by Clod Hopper; January 20th, 2021 at 11:21 AM.

Member #
    Images
    I get the impression Dunkin grew up in similar financial conditions I did. If you didn't knew me growing up you'd have no idea the first half of my life was the furthest thing from "success". My God we ate so much rabbit, fish, and rice. Had to kill our own rabbits and catch the fish but rice was cheap enough to actually buy. Eventually the house was actually condemned when someone saw the conditions...not fit for habitation. Not because it was dirty, we weren't filthy slobs, but because it couldn't hold heat in the winter time. I could tell you stories but you'd be hard pressed to actually believe them.

Which leads me to believe when most people say they "empathize" they really mean they "pity" because they can't truly conceive what deep poverty is really like to grow up in.

I didn't have a parent or some angelic mentor who taught me sacrifice and risk and determination as a way out. It took countless crying nights wondering why were were the "poor family the other kids made fun off". Mom wasn't a drunk, druggy, abusive, she was/is just extremely financially short sighted as I believe many people are and never grew out of that way of thinking. My other siblings still blow their money the same way. Staying financially behind is just a fact of life for anyone but the rich and privileged. So when people excuse environment as the trap I'm quick to throw the bullshit flag! I had the same damned environment the rest of my brothers and sister did yet my outcome through deep sacrifice and the risk (those two actually go hand-in-hand) that went with it is the opposite of the spectrum. It's simply because they accepted it and I refused to.

There are people who are honestly needy but they're so lost amongst the crowd of selfish takers that they don't seem to get the help others claim to throw their way. Greedy selfish takers are aggressively quick to shove the embarrassed needy out of line. By the time the humble needy make it to the desk the leaches have drained the resources. Which influences my belief the majority of those who say they can't afford healthcare insurance can, they'd just rather have their cigarettes, soda pop, multiple flat screen tvs, expensive cell phones, replacement cars every few years (with big loan interest to suck the life out of their funds), eat out because they think they're too busy to feed themselves....yeah, that list goes on and on...

So I don't see things the way many of you do, I lived and watched it so I actually have what many of you think you have...a clue. It wasn't until my early 20s until I made a vow to myself that I'd never accept that way of life as some dumbass destiny many (most?) others do.

eta: I didn't have my first steak until I was in the military. That luxury wasn't possible in my upbringing.

Just to correct this below... Boulder has its own "special laws" in regards to registration of certain firearms.....
    If I were to own long guns I would just be a stamp collector....

https://www.uslawshield.com/register-firearm-colorado/

[SIZE=4]I don't even own a Jeep, oh wait I do and it is sick! [/SIZE]:P
    [URL]http://www.factcheck.org/[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.staythetrail.org"]
    [/URL]

Member #
    Well, i see that a change in administration didn't do anything to appease the Antifa/BLM crowd. All they are, are a bunch of thugs and needs to be dealt with as such. I wonder if CNN will continue to call them peaceful protests.

From Fox News - Portland rioters damage ICE building; police declare 'unlawful assembly'
    Portland rioters damage ICE building; police declare 'unlawful assembly'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/anti-bide...ortland-police
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Member #
    I haven't had time to be on much lately but I have read all of the responses.

My final thoughts on a few of the tops that have been discussed are as follows.

$15 mandatory minimum wage... I still do not believe this should be a federal law. As someone stated, economics are not the same in every town much less in every state. I think that what minimum wage is paid is set by supply and demand just like goods. For instance, here in Oklahoma, I think the state mandated minimum wage is just under $9.00 an hour but I do not know if there are any jobs at least in my area of Oklahoma that you can find a job that pays that little. Jobs are available everywhere because the economy has been great and anyone who wants a job can easily get one. As an antidotal example, I have seen more than one sign at drive up windows at fast food places here that have help wanted signs in the windows where starting wage is much higher than the state mandated minimum wage including Braums were I recently picked me up a strawberry shortcake sunday (yummy), where they had a a help wanted sign stating that starting wage for juveniles was $13 and adults was $15.

I live in a very thriving part of Oklahoma. Just because a fast food restaurant here is willing and able to pay those wages to start doesn't mean that a small town in more rural Oklahoma that only has a Dairy Queen can afford to pay those wages.

Paying off college debt... I don't agree with my tax dollars paying for one red cent of it. Give them zero interest is fine with me but they knew they were borrowing the money and they owe it...period. If the government aka me and you pay it off for them, is the government aka me and you going to go give everyone else's money back to them who actually was responsible enough to pay back their loans.

Also, on the topic of college that was brought up was weather or not kids should be forced or influenced to go to college, the mention of "blue collar workers" becoming rare is a real thing. We can't hire mechanics just because there are so few out there and this goes for auto dealerships as well because we have talked to them and those in industries who require mechanics are typically just repeatedly stealing them back and forth other dealers. There is already a shortage of "blue collar" workers and that number is shrinking every day. There is good money to be made as a plumber or electrician or mechanic or other and we as a country are going to be hurting if more young people don't look these vocations. We are adding on another 50' x 100' to our shop here and have been trying for a month to get a commercial electrician builder to come quote the work with no success yet because the few there are, are covered up with work.

Healthcare/insurance... I have no idea how to fix this but I tend to believe everything I have heard about the nightmares of universal healthcare in other countries so I am not convinced that that is the fix.

Either way Sweater, we don't seem to be that far apart on any of these issues that would cause the deep division in the country and certainly not the hatred that has been displayed so my question to you would be what issues do you think are causing such a malignant division.

Is it BLM? Is it defund the police? Either way, I would like to have your thoughts on these as well.

CC - agree with what you said.

One note on College debt. My wife went to school for an additional 12yrs after high school. We were married for 10 of those years, so I assumed all that debt. Another 10 years later and we are still paying on it. We have paid off a good chunk of it from one loan servicer and even got the confirmation letters yesterday (woot!!), but we still have a ways to go. This last loan has been in forbearance b/c she is active military, which is the only reason we have been able to survive thus far. Even with a low interest rate (3.25) we have amassed a considerable amount of interest and that does suck! We are tightening the budget and putting everything we can into this loan, but ultimately we took the money out to pay for school and we owe that money back. It is no one else's responsibility.

Looking back - we could have lived with a bit less luxury and not borrowed so much. Easy thing to say now.

As to blue collars - we as a nation, are raising up lazy children who expect govt. handouts. Most of them don't want to work hard, which is what most blue collar jobs require. The "American Dream" is to expect everyone else to do it or cheat to get it, instead of what it was 75 years ago and prior.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    re: trades profession - I saw over the years too many college educated for too long look down on blue collar workers. It may not be as prevalent as 20,30,40 years ago but the demeaning has imparted a sissification for actual physical labor to have taken over.

I believe a big contributor to that was the old saying "You'll get much further in life with college degree.". The fallacy of that statement that most seem to actually believe is that a piece of paper is all it takes to easy street. A college education can be very helpful if an in-demand field is studied but just a damned piece of paper from an institution isn't.

Which leads me to the topic of so called popular/top schools: I only had 1 boss/owner think where his employees went to school determined success and he was a narrow minded dick...if you didn't go to Purdue you didn't learn enough to be successful. Everyone else just watched for actual learning the studied subject imparted actual knowledge necessary to understand enough to function in the company until you gained relevant experience to help the company succeed.

As long as people keep thinking they can buy a degree by out bidding the next kid the cost of a college education with continue to rise at demand rates.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Well, i see that a change in administration didn't do anything to appease the Antifa/BLM crowd. All they are, are a bunch of thugs and needs to be dealt with as such. I wonder if CNN will continue to call them peaceful protests.
    Well i see that CNN does have a story about the riots but conveniently don't mention that it was still BLM and Antifa stating that "the police didn't say who was doing it" even though its obvious by the signs and chants.

Member #
    Images
    What the hell are they crying about, they're just peaceful protesters

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BGDOG View Post
    Just to correct this below... Boulder has its own "special laws" in regards to registration of certain firearms.....
    If I were to own long guns I would just be a stamp collector....

https://www.uslawshield.com/register-firearm-colorado/
    My statement is correct. Colorado does not require registration. Cities can still pass their own laws, and Boulder and Denver both have some very stupid gun laws.

Well i see that CNN does have a story about the riots but conveniently don't mention that it was still BLM and Antifa stating that "the police didn't say who was doing it" even though its obvious by the signs and chants.
    In Denver there was this going on.

https://twitter.com/SCATSOTS/status/1352033302580891648
    I started with nothing, and I've got most of it left.

And so is my statement then and I agree they are silly
    When the registration went down, there were like 300 guns registered and I know 2 folks that registered 60 or so.
    LOL
    Thankfully I do not own guns because they are super scary. at least ammo pricing is.

My statement is correct. Colorado does not require registration. Cities can still pass their own laws, and Boulder and Denver both have some very stupid gun laws.

Member #
    Biden's first full day in office and he already walked off of the stage after a reporter asked a question. Not a great way to start...
    Last edited by creepycrawler; January 21st, 2021 at 07:21 PM.

Member #
    More rioting overnight with windows again being smashed in government buildings etc yet still no condemnation of them from Biden or his minions at CNN since they can't blame the insurrection on Trump supporters.

Yup, there is no media bias in this country at all.

Member #
    From Fox News - Grassley calls on Biden to condemn rioting in Oregon, Washington
    Grassley calls on Biden to condemn rioting in Oregon, Washington

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen...gon-washington

Yup, there is no media bias in this country at all.
    Wait - was anyone ever saying that there wasn't media bias in this country?

There 100% is.

Fox went way right, CNN/MSNBC went way left. They're totally biased.
    (probably literally hundreds of other examples can be brought up around media bias)

But since we know that the bias is there, why is that a problem?

- mike

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sweater View Post
    Wait - was anyone ever saying that there wasn't media bias in this country?

There 100% is.

Fox went way right, CNN/MSNBC went way left. They're totally biased.
    (probably literally hundreds of other examples can be brought up around media bias)

- mike
    The problem is that you are the first liberal or democrat (neither intended as an insult) however you describe yourself that i have ever heard admit that CNN isn't completely unbiased.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    re: trades profession - I saw over the years too many college educated for too long look down on blue collar workers. It may not be as prevalent as 20,30,40 years ago but the demeaning has imparted a sissification for actual physical labor to have taken over.

I believe a big contributor to that was the old saying "You'll get much further in life with college degree.". The fallacy of that statement that most seem to actually believe is that a piece of paper is all it takes to easy street. A college education can be very helpful if an in-demand field is studied but just a damned piece of paper from an institution isn't.

Which leads me to the topic of so called popular/top schools: I only had 1 boss/owner think where his employees went to school determined success and he was a narrow minded dick...if you didn't go to Purdue you didn't learn enough to be successful. Everyone else just watched for actual learning the studied subject imparted actual knowledge necessary to understand enough to function in the company until you gained relevant experience to help the company succeed.

As long as people keep thinking they can buy a degree by out bidding the next kid the cost of a college education with continue to rise at demand rates.
    I have built my career from the ground up. Could I have been someone to go to school to get where I am currently, sooner? Sure, but my experience also lends itself to every business decision that we make at this point. Is my path the path for everyone? Hell no! I know that my body couldn't handle doing the trades anymore, so I grew into where I am now.

Degree's mean nothing to me when hiring, if anything, a book that we are embracing as a company has taught me more that the right player isn't the top athlete, but the most focused. The same applies to everything else. Why are we pushing a process that nets crap for results?

Quote Originally Posted by sweater View Post
    Because "news" used to be defined as the unbiased presentation of facts. Sadly it is no longer defined that way but many/most? people still believe they can rely on the news to be factual.

Member #
    Where are the cries of insurrection from the democrat politicians now? Can we say double standard?

From Fox News - Washington city's mayor rushed to safety after homeless-advocate rioters storm City Hall
    Washington city's mayor rushed to safety after homeless-advocate rioters storm City Hall

https://www.foxnews.com/us/washingto...torm-city-hall

Member #
    Wowzers is all i can say after reading these statements from extreme left antifa people. There is nothing wrong with burning cars and buildings or breaking windows because cars and buildings and windows don't bleed.

I wonder how many of these idiots have jobs. Maybe they think that the government aka tax payers will just give people replacement cars and buildings and windows just like they get their free welfare checks and food stamps every month.

From Fox News - Seattle Antifa rioter claims destruction of property isn't violence
    Seattle Antifa rioter claims destruction of property isn't violence

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-a...-isnt-violence

Member #
    From Fox News - Flashback: Nancy Pelosi praised unionists storming Wisconsin State Capitol
    Flashback: Nancy Pelosi praised unionists storming Wisconsin State Capitol

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nan...-state-capitol

Member #
    Images
    Was looking at how to finance my kid's college coming up in a couple of years. Yeah, I know, piss poor planning on my part. I blame MCI/Worldcom and having to rebuild my retirement rather than taking the blame myself.

I have no idea what to plan for. There's talk of forgiving student loans. If I dipped into house equity to pay tuition, that wouldn't count. If I tried to pay it from savings, no reimbursement.

Seems like the best way for my kid to plan for his education under the new administration is to take on massive debt because that's who the Democrats want to help. Not us evil people that might, maybe make enough to help out our kids if we tighten our belt enough.
    Lunatic #15
    "A government big enough to give you a righteous buzz is also big enough to harsh your mellow." -Zapp
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Everyone loves a hand-out. Too many Americans don't care where it comes from so long as it benefits them immediately. This seems like the tactic the left uses to garner votes (well, that is before they could control the voting machines).

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    Everyone loves a hand-out. Too many Americans don't care where it comes from so long as it benefits them immediately. This seems like the tactic the left uses to garner votes (well, that is before they could control the voting machines).
    I'd rather they concentrate on why the cost of higher education has skyrocketed and guide the industry back to reasonable levels. If they're going to give away free college degrees, it seems like it'd be kind of silly to say no.

Member #
    This make complete sense. I mean, what says peace more than burning private properties and looting businesses.

From Fox News - Black Lives Matter movement nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
    Black Lives Matter movement nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

https://www.foxnews.com/world/black-...el-peace-prize