Member #

Trailer alarm/security

I have an 18' car hauler I keep on the side of my house. I live on a corner, so it's visible. I have the typical tongue and locking pin locks on it, but I still get a bit worried. I know it's be tough to break off the tongue lock - especially without a serious ruckus, but it's still possible to do, or just chain the thing up and deal with it driving crazy. I've looked at a bunch of different options, but I thought I'd ask advise as to what works well. Unfortunately I don't have anything to really chain it up to, so I'm thinking about a wheel lock of some sort. I'd really like to have some sort of alarm since it's actually close to where my bedroom is. There are lots of ideas, but what has worked well for you, in addition to the tongue lock, when it comes to trailer security?

Member #
    Images
    We had a trailer stolen from a job site last year. An alarm doesn't do much for you, but we talked about putting together a small tracking device setup and mounting it inside the trailer with a small solar panel on the roof to maintain it. Someone called the cops at the site, and they responded pretty quickly, but that quick response also resulted in a police chase adventure that totalled the trailer and a loss of everything in it from damage. Different approaches, but a tracking setup like below , for under 100 bucks a year could work wherever you are and give you the location of where it actually is, and would help a bunch more in preventing damage, and catching the guys that did it. Put it all in a locked box up in the front/v of the trailer and call it good.

Coupler locks and wheel locks work a little, but a 3lb sledge hammer and a few whacks will take off any coupler lock, wheel locks take a bit more effort, but not much. Thats just my .02 from having someone actually call in a theft in progress.

https://www.amazon.com/Trak-4-Mobile.../dp/B0753LC2DQ

https://www.amazon.com/New-AB1250-12.../dp/B07S3XXCK8

https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Char.../dp/B01LL7CXDW
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Images
    Take the wheels off when it's parked.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Straight in and out access only? I wonder how much one or two of these would cost.
    http://www.calpipebollards.com/perim...able-bollards/
    Jeff Mason
    99 Isuzu Amigo.

For just a car hauler I'd imagine insurance would be cheaper than a tracking device and subscription. I think I pay like $25/yr for comprehensive on my gooseneck.
    www.staythetrail.org

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    For just a car hauler I'd imagine insurance would be cheaper than a tracking device and subscription. I think I pay like $25/yr for comprehensive on my gooseneck.
    I do have it insured.

Paint it neon pink.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mason View Post
    Straight in and out access only? I wonder how much one or two of these would cost.
    http://www.calpipebollards.com/perim...able-bollards/
    Well, since they don't list prices - probably more than my trailer!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    reading fail for me lol. I saw trailer and went from there. for a hauler.... just keep the insurance on it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    reading fail for me lol. I saw trailer and went from there. for a hauler.... just keep the insurance on it.
    Yeah, just a typical flatbed car hauler for my Jeep. I do have insurance on it. I just picture some way to make it start screaming if someone is messing with it. I've thought of a couple ideas, but was seeing what thoughts other folks had.

Just keep a hitch lock on it and insure it. We leave trailers in random places all over the state for extended periods of time with simple hitch locks and have not lost one in 20 years.

My father lost one many years ago to theft. It did not have a hitch lock.

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by newracer View Post
    Hmmm... I WAS thinking about doing that with a chain actually.