Member #
    Images

to 14 bolt or not

Im considering 14 bolt front and rear. They will both be shaved. I will probably run 42-43 inch tires

Moab, sand hollow, montrose, rangley, gj, Farmington will be my areas of use.

What are the pros and cons?

Factory disc brake AAM 14 bolt rear. Super 60 front with 8 lug conversion.

Can't believe how dead this place is.

13 bolt cover instead of shave kit.

Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    Im considering 14 bolt front and rear. They will both be shaved. I will probably run 42-43 inch tires

Moab, sand hollow, montrose, rangley, gj, Farmington will be my areas of use.

What are the pros and cons?
    Pros: Strength for larger tires

Cons: Weight and loss of clearance (offset by larger tires)

Building them or buying?
    Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Still cheaper to build a D60. Unless you are running a huge motor, not sure the extra strength would be worth the cost

Member #
    Images
    Buying turn key.

Oddly, I've been shopping 60s and have learned that i can get a nice 14bolt for the same or less money

Dana, currie, dynatrac, terra all of em are selling gold.these days

Didn't realize you were buying turn key. If you can get a fully shaved 14 bolt for the same money as a 60 that does make sense. I have a Ballistic fab shave on my rear 14 bolt and the clearance is as almost as good as a Dana 44. Only downside I can think of besides weight is the low pinion.

Member #
    Images
    The low pinion has me wondrin

Member #
    Images
    I actually found the heavy weight of my 60 rear and heavy tube 44 front helpful on the trails. Kept my center of gravity real low for off camber situations.

What wheelbase and suspension will you have?

Member #
    Images
    Leaf springs, 103

I currently have the factory front yj leaves on top of the axle in front and i have some RE 4" leaves mounted under in back.
    I moved the rear spring perches back and added some more shackles to prevent shackles from flipping at full drop .

At some point i will do coil overs and links
    Last edited by vb; February 13th, 2020 at 01:12 PM.

Member #
    Images
    After research and debating, my son just picked up superduty axles and wheels. $400 for complete front, complete rear and 4 roller steel wheels. Not quite as strong as a full 60/14, but not far from it and substantially cheaper.

I think the only real downside of 14s is the need to run a big enough tire to not plow a furrow nearly anywhere you drive.
    Proudly un-offended.

609? If we're talking gold here... Strength of a 60 with amazing clearance. And there are high pinion options...

What are your options for lockers in each? That might help you narrow down choices.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    Detroit's is all i need

Member #
    Images
    The most popular junkyard axles now are '05 and up Ford Superduty. Lots of aftermarket support and they are inexpensive.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newracer View Post
    The most popular junkyard axles now are '05 and up Ford Superduty. Lots of aftermarket support and they are inexpensive.
    Which is a good point. The 14s are not cheap at all fro wod

Hey Vernon! There are a few good threads on pirate concerning using super duty axles. That's the path I'm thinking if I ever build an LJ. Might chat with the guys at spidertrax, I think they use super duty ends on a bunch of their custom axle builds.

On another note, I'm heading to Moab next month, give me a call if you want to go play.

Member #
    So, in the 14 bolt versus dana 60/70 debate, which would you go with if you took price out of the equation and were just interested in building the better/stronger axle?
    For example, which has better clearance, the Dana or the 14 bolt with the shave kit? Built right, which is stronger? The Dana seems to win on gearing ratios. What's the lowest option for the 14 bolt these days, 5.13 or 5.38? Obviously you still have to work with parts that are available, but let's pretend you could build either exactly as you want with no real budget or timeframe (but it has to be a 14 bolt or a Dana 60/70).

Not to muddy the waters too much DaneH, but if there were no budget, I think I'd look at portals. I literally know very little about them aside from the copious amounts of clearance they offer. Can they be built strong enough to compete with a D60 or 14b?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    Not to muddy the waters too much DaneH, but if there were no budget, I think I'd look at portals. I literally know very little about them aside from the copious amounts of clearance they offer. Can they be built strong enough to compete with a D60 or 14b?
    I knew someone would go that route when I said no budget. That's why I said your ONLY choices are 14 bolt and Dana 60/70 for purposes of this discussion.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneH View Post
    So, in the 14 bolt versus dana 60/70 debate, which would you go with if you took price out of the equation and were just interested in building the better/stronger axle?
    For example, which has better clearance, the Dana or the 14 bolt with the shave kit? Built right, which is stronger? The Dana seems to win on gearing ratios. What's the lowest option for the 14 bolt these days, 5.13 or 5.38? Obviously you still have to work with parts that are available, but let's pretend you could build either exactly as you want with no real budget or timeframe (but it has to be a 14 bolt or a Dana 60/70).
    14b front and rear both with steering.

Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    Portals give great ground clearance but are hard to adapt to an existing chassis, you lose a lot of up travel. They are very strong as though.

Member #
    Images
    I think that the guys winning in Utah have some sort of portal set ups.

My lean is the front and rear steer 14

13s F and R are great.
    Gear deflection common inn 60,s and 70,s is non-existant with 14b. (3rd pinion bearing)
    Not all need for big iron axles is because of high HP engines, big tires and low gearing do the same damage
    to gears/pinion shafts as high horse.
    Low pinion? not an issue if you build the axle to fit your build. My TJ 13s F&R has 16 degrees pinion up with 6 degrees of castor.
    Oiling outer pinion bearing? Not a problem, 14b fill oil from the pinion side, not the diff cover so as you tilt pinion up fill hole goes higher.
    On a D60 as you tilt the pinion up, the oil fill goes down.
    The Crane Revolution14 spanners, with inner axle seal holder solves the sealing issues. 30 spline/35 spline and 40 spline
    (it's not my company anymore so I,m not breaking rules)
    The Crane 13b diff cover saves money and time and no ring gear cutting.
    go 14s and never look back.
    720-422-4598
    www.crawlertech4x4.com

1998 TJ Crane Green 14s F&R
    2009 JK Silver

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawlertech4x4 View Post
    13s F and R are great.
    Gear deflection common inn 60,s and 70,s is non-existant with 14b. (3rd pinion bearing)
    Not all need for big iron axles is because of high HP engines, big tires and low gearing do the same damage
    to gears/pinion shafts as high horse.
    Low pinion? not an issue if you build the axle to fit your build. My TJ 13s F&R has 16 degrees pinion up with 6 degrees of castor.
    Oiling outer pinion bearing? Not a problem, 14b fill oil from the pinion side, not the diff cover so as you tilt pinion up fill hole goes higher.
    On a D60 as you tilt the pinion up, the oil fill goes down.
    The Crane Revolution14 spanners, with inner axle seal holder solves the sealing issues. 30 spline/35 spline and 40 spline
    (it's not my company anymore so I,m not breaking rules)
    The Crane 13b diff cover saves money and time and no ring gear cutting.
    go 14s and never look back.

Thank you . I would be getting all the crane stuff. Mostly cause of you even though its not yours anymore.

Thank you vb, I appreciate that!!
    Adam and Rocky have taken Crane to great new level!!
    You will enjoy having 13s.

Josh

Member #
    Images
    Rocky seems to be a good egg and he certainly seems to know his schtuff!