Member #
    Images

Garage remodeling

Anyone here into remodeling a garage? Any recommendations for a contractor? Looking to vault the ceiling, insulate, add heat/ac, and put in a vehicle lift.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Jon, AKA The Man With The Plan, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Illegitimi non Carborundum = "Don't let the bastards get you down" Micris Fidelis="Faithful to small things" And it's an anagram...I'll let you figure it out

Member #
    Images
    Well.... I will be the first to throw Rex under the bus, but do you have pics of the current trusses? That might help eliminate most of the usual suspects
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    Well.... I will be the first to throw Rex under the bus, but do you have pics of the current trusses? That might help eliminate most of the usual suspects
    lulz ... As fun as this project sounds, geography would rule me out, or the premium I'd have to charge to combat the geography thing. Jon would be a great client and has an awesome house. It's been a few years since I was there, so I can't remember any logistics toward vaulting the garage and I didn't peek at the trusses.

What's weird is I've done 3 garage "remodels" over the past couple of years for folks in my circle. I recently vaulted a ranch house that caught fire, but it was a no-brainer as I had to replace the burned trusses anyway.

It should be a fun project and hope to see pics!

Member #
    Images
    Yeah, I thought of Rex too, but, logistics is a bitch.

West Arvada/Golden-ish

Last edited by The Man With The Plan; January 30th, 2020 at 09:18 AM.

Member #
    Images
    Call Christian - 7204806976, tell him Rich sent you. They are my framers for stuff and they would probably jump on this because it is right around the corner from them. They will take care of you.

I don't mean to derail this but I have a question for Rex. What is the normal fee per mile away from your local area or how is that normally charged? I live in BFE and I can't get electricians or contractors to even bid on work out here as they say it will cost too much for them to come do the work. I'm just wondering how that is calculated or figured out.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

I would say that right now the market is so saturated with work, that the contractors do not have to travel if they do not want to. Most are paying a premium to loyal contractors who simply bid and show up when requested.

Try Snellstrom Electric in your area. David is a good guy that does good work out east.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man View Post
    I don't mean to derail this but I have a question for Rex. What is the normal fee per mile away from your local area or how is that normally charged? I live in BFE and I can't get electricians or contractors to even bid on work out here as they say it will cost too much for them to come do the work. I'm just wondering how that is calculated or figured out.
    So, it's not really a fee per mile scenario. GC's and subs might alter hourly rates, or just want a premium to come to your site. Jon doesn't live in an area considered to be BFE, it's just really far for me in DTC. Sometimes, contractors who have plenty of work will simply decline work if way out of their geography if they don't need it. It's tough. I used to look at projects all over, but traffic has gotten out of hand and time on the road feels very unproductive and I've grown to despise long commutes.

Member #
    Images
    Traffic is why I'm opting for early/semi retirement.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man With The Plan View Post
    Traffic is why I'm opting for early/semi retirement.

This.... I am looking at a company that has a presence in Montrose as well as Lakewood, so I can at least make the jump to that side of the mountains sooner rather than later, which will still be 10-15 years from now I think.

Member #
    Images
    Montrose and Lakewood?

Member #
    Images
    Montrose is perty well set to do some growing. So far it looks to make a mess of things.

A 2 post in ground lift would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    A 2 post in ground lift would be sweet.
    I absolutely loved mine. We are just selling that home, but I'm looking to put one in my new place. The time to do it is when building new. Adding one when the floor already exists is crazy expensive.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    ''Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.'' - Plato