Member #

Fuel Cell questions - Filler Angle and Baffling

I have this Motobilt fuel cell that will be going in my TJ (https://www.motobilt.com/product/jee..._tjtj_unlimite). Typical fuel cell as far as I can tell. I have two questions.

1 - I'm attempting to rig up an external fill - similar to OEM where I can use my gas cap - and hopefully therefore pass emissions. What's the minimum angle (rise over run) I need for the fill to work properly?

2 - This fuel cell has zero baffling. It's a big empty box with setups for a 12 bolt fill and a TJ gas pump, as well as evap crap. What should I do for baffling to help with both sloshing and fuel pickup? Should I be adding fuel cell foam? Those fuel cell Whiffle ball things?

Thanks for your insights. I haven't run a fuel cell before.

Member #
    Images
    That is similar to the RCI tank I ran in my TJ. My fill line was almost flat and it worked but some pumps would be finicky. I would have to turn the nozzle 90 degrees and only pull the handle about 1/2 way to get them to work.

I didn't run baffles and still don't in my buggy. In my TJ I used 2 Walbro pickups and in my buggy I am using 4. Hydrmat is what everyone recommends now and it supposedly works great but it is expensive.
    Last edited by newracer; January 9th, 2020 at 02:02 PM.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Ok, that's really good information. Only problem is that I can't really see the pics in that post. Photobucket blurry stuff.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by newracer View Post
    That is similar to the RCI tank I ran in my TJ. My fill line was almost flat and it worked but some pumps would be finicky. I would have to turn the nozzle 90 degrees and only pull the handle about 1/2 way to get them to work.

I didn't run baffles and still don't in my buggy. In my TJ I used 2 Walbro pickups and in my buggy I am using 4. Hydrmat is what everyone recommends now and it supposedly works great but it is expensive.
    It does seem very similar to the RCI. I may use an angled RCI fill neck instead of the one it comes with. I get what you are saying about the fill situation. I can live with that. I think I may end up with a couple inch drop over the course of maybe a foot or so. Hoping that's reasonable.
    I'll check out that Hydrmat. Thanks.

Member #
    Images
    I'll re-host the picts when I get home.

I had maybe 1/4" drop in about 6" of run.

Member #
    I'll re-host the picts when I get home.

I had maybe 1/4" drop in about 6" of run.
    Spoke to the manufacturer. They stated that with this cell using the stock TJ fuel pump module, it solves for the starvation situation, since the TJ module holds a buncha gas - he measured it at around two cups. So that's promising. Doesn't solve any sloshing, but I think I'll be ok with that once I get this rigged up. Not positive on all that though.

Member #
    Images
    I was using the stock TJ module and when the fuel was low I'd get starvation on hard right hand turns, module was on the right hand side of the tank. I don't see how the module could hold that much fuel. The pump is small and the lines wouldn't hold much either.

Member #
    I was using the stock TJ module and when the fuel was low I'd get starvation on hard right hand turns, module was on the right hand side of the tank. I don't see how the module could hold that much fuel. The pump is small and the lines wouldn't hold much either.
    Good to know. I was questioning it myself.

Member #
    Images
    Here are the picts.

https://imgur.com/a/3eGI4MX

In those picts the filler tube actually goes up, I moved it up later.

How big is the tank in gallons compared to stock?

It has been a few years, but I remember too many folks hating foam in their tanks as it broke down and clogged everything. The walbro setup seems it would be the best bet. Doesn't it close the oriface that is sucking air?
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    How big is the tank in gallons compared to stock?

It has been a few years, but I remember too many folks hating foam in their tanks as it broke down and clogged everything. The walbro setup seems it would be the best bet. Doesn't it close the oriface that is sucking air?
    This one is about the same as stock. It's listed at a 19 gallon. I think it's actually slightly less.

I've read the same bad stuff about foam - plus my gas gauge wouldn't work because the foam would mess with the sender.

Member #
    Gotcha, I see what you're doing. I have some decisions to make.

Were you able to, or did you even try to keep it emissions compliant? Doubting you have them.

Member #
    Images
    No problem with emissions. One time the tester couldn't find the gas cap to test it so I had to show her where it was.

Member #
    No problem with emissions. One time the tester couldn't find the gas cap to test it so I had to show her where it was.
    But you managed to use a gas cap they can test? Was it an OEM cap? I'm guessing you got the evap canister all happy and hooked up, working, not throwing codes?

Member #
    Images
    Yes used the OEM cap. EVAP canister was connected as well.

Member #
    Yes used the OEM cap. EVAP canister was connected as well.

Cool, did you just move the canister inside next to the cell?

Member #
    Images
    My EVAP canister was in the engine compartment next to the master cylinder. Mine was a 99 I think they moved them to the rear in later years.