The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images

Ugliest production pickup of all time?

Elon Musk and his Tesla automotive company unveiled their new electric pickup, the "cybertruck" yesterday. Not sure why they chose a half blind 5 year old's concept drawing to follow their designing from. But it is absolutely hideous, but the doors can withstand a 9mm bullet ... Check it out for yourselves:

Story here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/21/b...kup-truck.html

For the click lazy:

Tesla’s Electric ‘Cybertruck’ Is Unveiled. It’s Pointy.

Elon Musk’s car company presented its long-awaited pickup truck, but it didn’t quite go as planned. (Broken windows were involved.)

Elon Musk on Thursday unveiled the “Cybertruck,” an electric pickup truck that Tesla hopes will rival Ford’s best-selling F-150 line.
    Its design ensured it would certainly stand out on the road. Looking little like traditional pickup trucks, the Cybertruck has a stainless steel exterior with a triangular roof.
    But its introduction at an event in Los Angeles didn’t quite go as planned. During a demonstration of the truck’s toughness, its designer lobbed a metal ball at one of its windows, unexpectedly cracking it. He tried again another window, which also cracked.
    “Maybe that was a little too hard,” said Mr. Musk, Tesla’s chief executive.
    He gave the rest of the presentation with the cracked windows behind him.

Here are some key questions and takeaways about the rollout.
    Are other companies making electric pickups?

In fact, they are.
    Ford has said it will release a hybrid F-150 next year, and the company is working on an all-electric version.
    “With America’s best-selling truck for 42 years, we’ve always focused on serving our truck customers regardless of what others say or do,” Ford said in a statement on Friday.
    Mary Barra, the chief executive of General Motors, announced at an investor conference on Thursday that the company’s first battery electric pickup truck would go on sale in the fall of 2021.
    “Electrification is the future,” a G.M. spokesman, Jim Cain, said on Friday. “Our commitment to it is massive and we intend to help lead that push.”
    “We’re investing more than $3 billion in a factory in Detroit to build an electric pickup,” he said, adding that the company was planning a “significant investment” in Ohio in a battery cell plant.

The start-up Rivian also introduced an electric pickup truck this year. Rivian is considered a potential rival to Tesla, and has gotten a $500 million investment from Ford, as well as backing from Amazon. Rivian’s truck and an electric sport utility vehicle are supposed to go into production next year.
    What are the details of Tesla’s prototype?

The company unveiled three models: A single-motor rear wheel drive for $39,900, a dual-motor all wheel drive for $49,900, and a tri-motor all wheel drive for $69,900.
    The most expensive truck tows 14,000 pounds and can go up to 500 miles on a single charge, Tesla said. Mr. Musk said the truck has the acceleration of a Porsche.
    “Trucks have been the same for a very long time,” he said. “Like a hundred years, trucks have been basically the same. We want to try something different.”
    Orders were immediately available on the Tesla website. Production will begin in late 2021, Tesla said.
    The demonstrations that led to the cracked windows were meant to prove that the trucks were “really tough, not fake tough,” according to Mr. Musk. Franz von Holzhausen, Tesla’s chief designer, smacked the door with a sledgehammer, leaving no dent. Mr. Musk said the doors could withstand a bullet from a 9 millimeter handgun.

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    The "overland" with the tent makes me giggle:

Member #
    Images
    He came up with the design right after doing Joe Rogan's podcast.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newracer View Post
    He came up with the design right after doing Joe Rogan's podcast.
    Ha! I had the same thought.

So, no passengers in the back taller than an 8 yr old? Also doesn't look it will be able to pull a gooseneck or 5th wheel with the Honda Ridgeline-esque lines on the bed.
    www.staythetrail.org

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    So, no passengers in the back taller than an 8 yr old? Also doesn't look it will be able to pull a gooseneck or 5th wheel with the Honda Ridgeline-esque lines on the bed.
    Dang it Dave, have to go and point out realistic flaws besides just ripping on it's looks...

I do happen to like the specs. 4x4, 500 mile radius, 14,000 # towing capacity, and supposed to have better power than the Rivian. As well as the solar charger option and the autopilot option being available. I just can not get over the looks, or the fact that I would need to haul a generator around in order to haul more than 500 miles in a single trip.

Member #
    Images
    I also find it humorous that the "unbreakable" windows indeed did get broken during the unveiling...

https://kdvr.com/2019/11/22/tesla-re...ing-unveiling/

Member #
    Images
    That fugly thing has South Park Designed written all over it. I could imagine an episode where even Jimbo would make fun of it.

Member #
    Images
    Surely it wont actually make production

Almost 200k preorders...Perhaps those folks should go on a watch list??

What I also thought hilarious is the tug-o-war with the F-150. Come'on Elon, those prove nothing more than what truck has more traction. I'll bet my 100HP John Deere tractor would drag your metal origami "pickup" until your batteries died.

I am not an *E* fan by any means, but my neighbor took me for a ride in his Model X and I will admit, it was really nice. I can see some of the appeal, and with the range climbing up to 500+ miles, they are starting to get more enticing. But you still have to factor in the hours of charge time vs a 15 min fuel up.

And, I am pretty sure any generator capable of charging that thing on the go would probably max out payload.
    Last edited by 74BuckinBronc; November 25th, 2019 at 09:30 AM.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    That fugly thing has South Park Designed written all over it. I could imagine an episode where even Jimbo would make fun of it.
    That was my first thought...it looks like a Canadian South Park truck lol
    This is my boom stick.

Member #
    Images
    I drew that truck in kindergarten. I'm gonna sue.
    Lunatic #15
    "A government big enough to give you a righteous buzz is also big enough to harsh your mellow." -Zapp
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

First thing I thought was that the Pontiac Aztek guy finally found another job.

I keep waiting for someone to come out and say "gotcha"
    97 xj Clayton Long arm kit with triangulated rear four link,Currie 44hp 44 rear locked by ARB,stak 3 speed box
    2012 F150 Eco Boost Bully Dog Tuner,Flow Master Exhaust, and Ride rite bags carring the load n the rear.