Thread: tow rig tires

tow rig tires

I know, ask 5 people and get 5 different opinions.

Getting close to needing tires on my 2018 F350. The factory Goodyears honestly sucked. I don't even have 20k on the truck and they're getting close to needing to be replaced. It does spend a lot of time towing, but not enough to reduce life THAT much. Traction was never good with the stock tires even when they were new either. Rear end broke loose way too easily, even with my 5th wheel hooked up. I don't DD the truck, but do use it to haul the Jeep wheeling and to take my 5th wheel up to our land in the mountains. It's a minimum of 8 miles of dirt roads to get back in there, so I definitely want a good A/T tire. I've had BFG AT KO's and Hankook Dynapro's in the past, and liked them both. Probably liked the Hankooks a little more, their traction in the snow was incredible. Both tires are now "updated" from the versions that I've had, so I'm open to ideas.

My 5th wheel is on the lighter side (9k) and my ZJ and gooseneck probably come in under 10k. So I don't tow super heavy, but I spend a lot of time towing, especially in the mountains. The truck also needs to perform in the snow, and we do take it on some longer highway trips. The current BFG AT KO2 might be a little too aggressive for what I need, but I know it's previous version performed well in the traction department, it just didn't hold up mileage wise.

What are you guys using these days?
    www.staythetrail.org

Member #
    Images
    I will also be getting new tires soon.

I have had several sets of Hankook Dyna Pros and they have all been great, my last set lasted over 45k. I am leaning towards them again. However a friend of mine just got a set of Falken Wildpeaks and he said he thinks they are better than the Hankooks, especially in the snow.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Yeah, they're spendy, but I like the looks of the new Michelin Agilis Cross Climate.

Just don't know if I like them 6 tires worth.

But the current May Pops have got to go.
    Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

Dave, FWIW, I'm about to put a set of KO2s on our Excursion. Call me a creature of habit - and that's certainly correct - but I've always had a good experience with these, and expect to like the new version at least as much.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    ''Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.'' - Plato

Member #
    Images
    I think I got about 25k on my oem tires on my 14 f250. Pretty sure I went with Michelin LTX, but I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find my old records. They were decent tires. Imo, if you never have to think about your tires, they're good. Only thing I ever did was check the pressure regularly.

Edit: pretty sure I did Bridgestone Revo's. Found an old thread that jogged my memory.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Man With The Plan; October 16th, 2019 at 05:35 PM.
    Jon, AKA The Man With The Plan, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Illegitimi non Carborundum = "Don't let the bastards get you down" Micris Fidelis="Faithful to small things" And it's an anagram...I'll let you figure it out

Got 30k on some Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's. Wish they lasted a bit longer but need to be replaced somewhat soon. Used for quite a bit of towing. Reliable, good traction, wore super even, and stayed balanced over time. They did get a bit beat up from gravel / dirt roads and a bit noisy-er toward the end of their life. I'm think of replacing with the same at this point unless something else jumps out at me.
    ZR2:Warn Transformer, Warn SDB160 lights, Air Raid Intake, Hypertec Programmer, 31" BFG KM2's
    CJ7: 360-TH400, SOA w/D20 T-case F D44 & R Ford 9", Locked F/Spool R, 37" MT/R's w/ Rockstomper beadlocks, Custom GM TBI EFI - AutoProm and EBL

Dave, by my count there's five replies advocating five different tires.

You were right.

Member #
    If you do go with ko2ís get the (DT) designated version. Itís a different rubber compound and comes with a mileage warranty.

I dont think the DTs are 3pmnsf rated, which can be a big deal around here.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

From Tire Rack on the DT/3PMSF thing:

Note: BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires labeled "DT" utilize a different tread compound designed to improve wear in high-torque applications and improved chip and tear resistance in gravel. Tires featuring this compound carry a 50,000-Mile Treadwear Warranty and are NOT branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol. They can be identified by the "DT" branding on the sidewall immediately following the service description, and are labeled on the Specs page and in search results.

Note: While non-winter tires featuring the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol provide additional longitudinal snow traction beyond what all-season (M+S) tires not bearing the symbol can deliver, they do not match the capability of a true winter tire in all adverse weather conditions.
    So it sounds like the regular will be better in the snow, but the DT should be better in all other scenarios for my usage.

I have liked the OE Michelin LTX A/T2 on mine. I only have about 12k on them, but my buddy in AZ pulls his boat all over the state and DD's his rig. Got 58k and estimates he'll get 70k out of them. This on his 2018 PSD.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Just ordered the KO2 DTs from Discount. I don't mind sacrificing some snow performance for longer life on gravel and a mileage warranty. My DD is a 5.9 ZJ with the Hankooks do if the DTs suck that bad in the snow I'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Anyone ever see a correlation between tires bought aftermarket and tires bought at a dealer? It doesn't seem logical, but I have always gotten far better wear from OE tires than I did buying anywhere else. The price generally reflect that as well, but it just seems odd.

Hope the BFG's do well for you Dave. I hope you update this thread in 20k.

Tires might be a touch quieter than the OEM Goodyears. Definitely better traction, they didn't break loose nearly as easy as the OEM tires. Obviously there's more tread on the BFG's, but I spun the rear tires on a test drive in a 6.7 truck because I drove it like the turbo lagged like my old 7.3. I can feel more firmness in the ride too. It's not to the point that it's harsh, but I can definitely feel that they're stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by newracer View Post
    I will also be getting new tires soon.

I have had several sets of Hankook Dyna Pros and they have all been great, my last set lasted over 45k. I am leaning towards them again. However a friend of mine just got a set of Falken Wildpeaks and he said he thinks they are better than the Hankooks, especially in the snow.
    Falken Wildpeaks are junk. I ran a set. They were good for about 10k then all the cross siping and grooves were gone. After that they were scary in anything other then dry. No where for the water to escape. I didn't even run them to the wear bars because they were so bad.
    CJ/buggy,FI406,465,205,D60,14boltFF on beadlocked 39.50 swampers.See build.
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=134201
    '70Jeepster, 225,T-14,D20,10bolt,12bolt on 34/9.50/15 Swampers
    www.tubebuggies.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cheepin View Post
    Falken Wildpeaks are junk. I ran a set. They were good for about 10k then all the cross siping and grooves were gone. After that they were scary in anything other then dry. No where for the water to escape. I didn't even run them to the wear bars because they were so bad.
    Had the same experience with Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires on my Dodge.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cheepin View Post
    Well he may just need to use his tire groover on them.

I probably won't get them as the size I want isn't readily available.

Towed to Moab and back with the ZJ on the gooseneck, and have spent a little time on snow with the KO2 DT's. Great highway ride, super quiet. Handled towing just fine. Traction doesn't seem to be quite as good as the Hankook I had on the old truck, but a lot of that could be attributed to a lot more power from the 6.7 compared to the 7.3. Definitely pleased with them so far, looking forward to seeing how many miles I get out of them.

Michelin Defender LTX came on the new truck; so far I have been really happy with how they handle in the winter weather. With 2 rigs on a gooseneck behind it we safely made it through plenty of ice and snow on the way to Moab and back

I might switch to something more aggressive when I wear these out but I'm not sure.
    break, fix, repeat

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Michelin Defender LTX came on the new truck; so far I have been really happy with how they handle in the winter weather. With 2 rigs on a gooseneck behind it we safely made it through plenty of ice and snow on the way to Moab and back

I might switch to something more aggressive when I wear these out but I'm not sure.
    What kind of mileage have you gotten out of them? Are they wearing down quickly?

Member #
    Images
    I went with Hankooks again. I got over 45k on the last set and the new design is supposed to be even better wear.