Thread: Black Bear

Black Bear

I haven't been down to Ouray for years but my folks are coming out in August. Black Bear has been on the list for a long time. Still have the CJ7 but picked up a new JL Rubicon and plan to do the trail in that.
    Any concerns with the longer wheelbase? Tips, tricks?

Member #
    Images
    You won't have any issues. The tour companies take converted long bed trucks down it all the time. Just go slow and if you want to sight see stop the vehicle.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Its still snowing down here so check for to see if open, I hear theres 80-100ft of snow blocking the road to Animas Forks from Silverton.
    2007 Tundra TRD, 2001 Taco ExtendedCab TRD, 2014 Rav4

I've had your Jeep thing...Now it burns when I pee.

Quote Originally Posted by kemosabee View Post
    Its still snowing down here so check for to see if open, I hear theres 80-100ft of snow blocking the road to Animas Forks from Silverton.
    I hope its open by August.

Member #
    I hope sooner also! This year was an epic year though for snow, think the Silverton area had over 200 avalanches that were reported. Terrain will be changed and I'm interested in that.

Yeah it’s been nuts down here for snow. The recent storm just dropped a ton more snow and raised slide risk up again so crews quit working on clearing trails. It might be open by then. Might.
    The longer snow pushes back opening lower trails, later they start working on BB.
    Rig wise you’re fine. Taken full size stuff down. I’d say biggest issue would be soft soil.
    Just boogie

I've got a jeep group coming from Massachusetts to Cal. We have a permit to go over Black Bear Pass in the reverse direction on Aug. 4th. I hope that's possible.
    '79 CJ5, 304 V8, T18, Dana 20 with 3 to 1 TeraLow, 36" SuperSwamper SX, 4.88 gears
    OX Locker Rear, Detroit Locker Front, MileMarker Hydraulic Winch

Quote Originally Posted by BusaDave9 View Post
    I've got a jeep group coming from Massachusetts to Cal. We have a permit to go over Black Bear Pass in the reverse direction on Aug. 4th. I hope that's possible.
    I have heard about that. That would be awesome.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaDave9 View Post
    How do I get onboard for the reverse run?
    /l ,[____],
    l- -L-OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)--)_) RE 5.5 lift, ARB lockers, 44's w/4.88's, 35's & armored

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Whipper Snapper View Post
    If you were old like me, you would have already run it that direction before they made it one way.

Freakin' whippersnappers.... Get off mah lawn!!!!
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Quote Originally Posted by Whipper Snapper View Post
    First you get this fricken snow to melt.
    Then you need 2 permits, one from the Forest Service and one from San Miguel County. It's too late to get a permit this year.
    To apply for the permit from the Forest Service call their Norwood office at 970-327-4261. Talk to Scott Spielman.
    You can apply for the San Miguel County permit on line. Go to www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov
    Go to Departments
    Go to Road & Bridge
    Go to Permits
    Select Special Construction Permit.

Even though you are not doing any construction you have to apply for a construction permit. A construction permit is needed any time you want to block a trail or road. You also need a sign placed at highway 550 warning anyone expecting to go the usual direction. You also need someone sitting at the top of Black Bear Pass until your group has passed that spot.

They only grant permits for the first weekend of August.

There is usually a fee but our group did not have to pay the fee because we are non-profit and our members are not paying to ride Black Bear pass in reverse. Other groups use this for fund raising. They advertise and participants pay to run BB backwards.

Anyone have an update or inside info on this? Shows its still closed. BusaDave9 I assume you were not able to do your trip?

This is a pretty good site I use to watch access updates:
    http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

I was in Telluride a few weeks back and the water falls were spectacular. Massive water falls and lots of them. Well worth the trip to ride, drive, or hike trails.

I wasn't able to make it all the way over to Ouray from Telluride, but it is open now from what I read. You will have to research Black Bear Pass on the site listed

I've been keeping an eye on that too. We drive down there next Wednesday, hoping it will be open but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by callerys View Post
    Anyone have an update or inside info on this? Shows its still closed. BusaDave9 I assume you were not able to do your trip?
    Our group is now staying in Ouray. Black Bear is closed. Our permit is worthless. The trails have changed drastically due to the avalanches. Corkscrew Gulch and the bottom of Picayune Gulch have very large trees in the avalanche debris but both are open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Did you have to purchase the permit for the run?

I had heard of massive mudslides??
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by kemosabee View Post
    Did you have to purchase the permit for the run?
    Yes there is a processing fee. The Forest Service waived the fee because we are non profit. Most clubs that request a permit to run Black Bear backwards us it as a fund raiser. They advertise and collect fees to run with them. It's free for our participants so the Forest Service did not charge us.
    On the other hand San Miguel County did not waive the fee. I paid them $50 non refundable.

Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    I had heard of massive mudslides??
    Yes there were massive mudslides on the east side of Cinnamon Pass. We also so a lot of avalanche debris. The road from Silverton to Animas forks is still blocked by a massive avalanche but you can get to Animas Forks by way of Hurricane Pass and California Pass. Just Wednesday the bulldozers cleared the trail from Animas Forks road to Picayune Gulch to Placer Gulch to Animas Forks Ghost Town.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by BusaDave9; August 10th, 2019 at 02:52 PM.

There was a slide on Black Bear in addition to the Cinnamon slide last week. The one on Black Bear was a few weeks back, it was on the western end but I'm not sure exactly where.

Also, CR2 is open up to Animas Forks. But it is VERY narrow through the snow, one lane. Almost better to just keep it closed IMO with the amount of traffic that road sees. I think Cinnamon is back open now too but not 100% on that. The road crews down there are putting in work!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    www.staythetrail.org

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    There was a slide on Black Bear in addition to the Cinnamon slide last week. The one on Black Bear was a few weeks back, it was on the western end but I'm not sure exactly where.

Also, CR2 is open up to Animas Forks. But it is VERY narrow through the snow, one lane. Almost better to just keep it closed IMO with the amount of traffic that road sees. I think Cinnamon is back open now too but not 100% on that. The road crews down there are putting in work!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Can i at least make it up the black bear to the summit? Is it two way to turn around?

Can i at least make it up the black bear to the summit? Is it two way to turn around?
    When we were there Friday Aug. 9th we were stopped by snow at the very summit. Some got past this spot only to find more snow on the other side.

In that last picture you can see some in our group made it to the top but couldn't continue.

So it is two way at least to that point correct?

So it is two way at least to that point correct?
    Yes. The eastern side is 2 way to the summit. The snow is melting fast so you will probably get further than us but the shelf road was washed out. San Miguel County road dept is not in any hurry to get Black Bear Pass open. When I was there they didn't have any equipment on that trail.

Member #
    Images
    They have been working on Black Bear since July 31st at the least. They focused on Imogene first.

From Facebook, posted yesterday.

San Miguel County Colorado Road and Bridge
    Yesterday at 4:04 PM

CR K69 from Telluride to the Power House will be open by 4:15 this afternoon, August 13th. Thank you for your patience while the crews worked on the road up above Bridal Veil Falls. The crews are going to begin clearing the west side of Black Bear Pass tomorrow.

Looks like it opened today.

Yes, it opened today.

Photo taken by the San Miguel Road Dept.

Member #
    Images
    It did open today

did it open today?
    break, fix, repeat

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    did it open today?
    Nope. It opened yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Nope. It opened yesterday.
    It opened yesterday?

Member #
    I heard it's supposed to open soon....

.... possibly 2 days before tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    I heard it's supposed to open soon....

.... possibly 2 days before tomorrow.
    did it open yesterday's eve? yesterday's tomorrow?

Member #
    The date keeps changing because now i hear it opened two days ago.

*BLACK BEAR PASS CLOSED*
    (Bridal Veil Rd is open)

Black Bear Pass is closed on both sides dues to a single vehicle accident on “the stairs”by Ingram Falls blocking all traffic except motorbikes. Officials will be turning around/re-routing traffic on the east side. There is one occupant not believed to be seriously injured.
    *Bridal Veil Road is open.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    *BLACK BEAR PASS CLOSED*
    (Bridal Veil Rd is open)

Black Bear Pass is closed on both sides dues to a single vehicle accident on “the stairs”by Ingram Falls blocking all traffic except motorbikes. Officials will be turning around/re-routing traffic on the east side. There is one occupant not believed to be seriously injured.
    *Bridal Veil Road is open.
    Crap.....

So it closed the day after yesterday?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    Crap.....

So it closed the day after yesterday?
    Your comprehension skills are lacking. It was obviously closed the day before tomorrow.

I wasn't there but it sure looks like the driver walked up the wall and rolled it.

Photos by the San Miguel County Sheriff Dept
    Last edited by BusaDave9; August 22nd, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

Are those the old black/yellow California plates?
    Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    Are those the old black/yellow California plates?
    des moines iowa