Added LED pods to trailer for reverse lights!

Trailer needed some work, so I made that an excuse to add some reverse lights to it for those times it's dark when I get home. Backing down my driveway is less than graceful!

God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    I need to do this.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Great upgrade! Simple and effective.

Before this project, I didn't even realize there was a reverse lights circuit built into the 7-way plug system. That made it considerably more simple! I was thinking I'd have to pull wire from the parking lights and find some sort of waterproof switch.

I really need to do this on the gooseneck and the 5th wheel.
    www.staythetrail.org

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I really need to do this on the gooseneck and the 5th wheel.
    For your consideration on the GN:

I added light pods to each side of the top of the neck. They swivel so they can broadcast from the bed of the truck to the deck of the trailer. I put them on the same circuit as the backup lights, but added a switch in between. Great for camping, wrenching, loading/unloading, but can be turned off to not interfere with your backup lights.

Edit: I further cheated and used magnetic swiveling mounts for the pods. This allows me to use then as work lights when needed. They have about 20' of wire (little more) as they can reach the end of my trailer. I was going to stick them on telescoping poles, but liked the magnets better.
    Last edited by Aaron; March 30th, 2019 at 06:18 PM.

Member #
    Images
    I have those GM magnetic, underhood light reels on my trailers (and pickups/Jeeps) for work lights. Swapping the bulbs for LED really made a difference in them.