Thread: I70 in January

Member #
    Images

I70 in January

I will be driving a 12foot small moving truck to Anaheim CA on Thursday of this week. My son is moving and I drove his car out there in mid December going I70 and ran into a bit of snow on the passes of CO. Not a big deal but not sure if I should go I70 with a moving truck or take the long route through New Mexico and Arizona. Thoughts?
    My Jeep is not an SUV and your SUV is not a Jeep
    Support the Grand Slam West Sponsors
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=11024

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn WJ View Post
    I will be driving a 12foot small moving truck to Anaheim CA on Thursday of this week. My son is moving and I drove his car out there in mid December going I70 and ran into a bit of snow on the passes of CO. Not a big deal but not sure if I should go I70 with a moving truck or take the long route through New Mexico and Arizona. Thoughts?
    I drove the opposite way several years back around the same time of year and I went south and didn't regret it.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Member #
    Images
    Yea, its about 2 to 3 hours longer, but I plan to stop mid point anyway, last month I drove it straight through via 70, so we will see.

Ironically I am going to GJ next week on business, will drive my Jeep, thinking I will go to the CO National Monument while there as I will have some free time on Tuesday afternoon. Never been to CO Nat Monument in the winter. Any tips for that?
    Last edited by mtn WJ; January 22nd, 2019 at 05:48 PM.

I'd say it all depends on the forecast. I helped my sister move her stuff back from SDSU 9 years ago in December and we took the southern route due to a storm forecasted for most of Utah. Ended up with whiteout conditions around Flagstaff.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    www.staythetrail.org

Member #
    Images
    My weather app shows a really strong chance for snow Wednesday into Thursday of this week

Member #
    Images
    I'd be more worried about UT than CO.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newracer View Post
    I'd be more worried about UT than CO.
    Funny you mention that. When I drove my sons car out in December sure Eisenhower and Vail pass were snow packed, but Utah uses some strange nasty stuff on their highways. His car was coated with this stuff that took two car washes to remove.

Keith, I'm in Vegas right now. Was in St George UT on Monday, and the roads going to Zion were closed due to a storm. Granted that was yesterday and things can change, but that stretch of I-15 from I-70 to St George gets pretty crappy when there is any weather. I'd take the southern route.
    '96 Grand Cherokee with stuff done to it.

Member #
    Images
    I am going the southern route for sure. Besides I can see my daughter at UNM in ABQ for lunch on the way.

Question though, I 70 has a couple traction device laws rules so last month I bought some chains to keep in the trunk of my son's car. I planned to buy some for the rental truck just in case. But with the southern route are there any passes etc that have traction device laws/rules?

Member #
    Images
    Raton Pass might.

Member #
    Images
    Good call, I know for sure though Raton Pass does not, I drive it pretty often to ABQ. I may just get a cheapo set and return them if I do not use them. This truck will be pretty light, had a tiny bit of issue just going up my driveway with it.

Member #
    In my experience most places won't take back chains. Double check before you buy.

What size tires does it have? I have a crap ton of chains and may have a set you could borrow.
    95 ZJ, Lift, dents, and noise.

Member #
    Images
    Thanks for the offer, I am leaving here soon so not enough time to go your direction. Sure is snowing out there now.

Member #
    No worries have a great trip.

Member #
    Images
    Well made it and got back to CO last night. My son is all moved in to his apartment and along the way I was able to have dinner with my Daughter in ABQ.
    Only snow as between Denver and Pueblo on Thursday. Only issue is the rental truck's washer fluid bottle had a leak so had to stop now and then and splash washer fluid on the windshield. Plus its speed limited at 70 so took a little longer, but hey its done.

While we made it safe I feel bad for a pair of truckers who hit head on just west of ABQ. I seriously didnt know there were two trucks and even at first it didnt look like a semi rig at all. Jeez.

Member #
    Images
    Glad to hear you made it safe. My dad and I came to CO in a U-Haul in '83, it was governed at 55 mph, took forever.

Member #
    Images
    Glad you made the trip safe and sound!

Member #
    Images
    Thanks fer letting us know you made it