Registering a vehicle in another county

I feel like this is probably pretty easy and I'm over thinking it. I'm buying some land in Park County, no house on the land yet. Is it as simple as just going to the Park County DMV and registering up there? There's no mail service at the land. We will be building a cabin up there eventually, but would like to get a few vehicles registered up there prior to that. Live in Arapahoe now. I know it's a bit of a grey area, but the 2 I really want to get registered up there MIGHT see 500 miles a year combined.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    www.staythetrail.org

Seems pretty straightforward. You might need a piece of mail sent to the address you want to register it at for proof at the DMV or whatever. Just talking out my ass lol

Member #
    Images
    Build a mail box on the new place

Member #
    Images
    Or if the usps does not deliver there. Get a po box and use the address of the land when getting the po box

Dave, we had a house in Park County a few years ago and, IIRC, to get a PO box from the USPS we had to show some sort of proof of residence. I might be remembering incorrectly, but it seemed a little more onerous than I was expecting. It was *great* having the 4runner registered up there.

I wonder if UPS is less hassle, and if they have a facility there?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    ''Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.'' - Plato

I found the form on the USPS site and it doesn't look like I need proof of "residence" as much as I need proof that I own land up there. Apparently my drivers license and the deed to the land is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I found the form on the USPS site and it doesn't look like I need proof of "residence" as much as I need proof that I own land up there. Apparently my drivers license and the deed to the land is sufficient.

So much for my memory...

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Images
    wonder what the smallest piece of land i can get up in the mountains is? i need to figure out what i am going to do with the diesel next year i think....
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    wonder what the smallest piece of land i can get up in the mountains is? i need to figure out what i am going to do with the diesel next year i think....
    Move out of colorado would be your best bet seeing how CO is falling in line with CA standards. Freakin' libtards have fubared your state.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Colorado Revised Statute 42-6-139 requires you to register your vehicles at your primary residence - "to be determined in the same manner as residency for voter registration purposes".

However, it included a provision that specifies that, "if a motor vehicle is permanently maintained at an address other than the address of the owner's residence, the vehicle shall be registered at the address where the vehicle is permanently maintained."

We own a 'weekend' place in Indian Mountain. Tried to register my amigo up here a few years, and the county clerk threw a huge fit and said i needed to have my address on the drivers license before they would register it, blah blah blah. I went to both the Bailey office and Fairplay office and got the same answer. They were adamant that they know the law. That is when I researched CRS and found the 42-6-139 mentioned above.

Armed with this knowledge, I went back to Fairplay this fall, expecting a big fight. I told the clerk I wanted to register my car in Park County. She said "Do you live here", and I said, "no, but I have a home up here and will be maintaining the vehicle there". She said "okay, let's see your registration." No drama, no fuss, no muss. Not sure when they gfigured things out, but it saved me a fight.

For you, it might be a little bit harder, if they figure out you just have bare land ?!?!?.

Whereabouts in Park County will you be? There are some killer views up here:

Jeff Mason
    99 Isuzu Amigo.

empty lots were pretty cheap, up until the last year or so... now they are pretty pricey.

You can get a 5 acre lot near Hartsel for $7k or so. No trees, lots of wind

The two acres next to me sold for $19k this summer. I was prepared to pay them $12k, but they turned me down.

Good first hand info Jeff. We had looked in Indian Mountain, Elkhorn, Bighorn, and Buffalo. We ended up with a spot down south in Wildwood, where 238 comes out of Pike National Forest.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good first hand info Jeff. We had looked in Indian Mountain, Elkhorn, Bighorn, and Buffalo. We ended up with a spot down south in Wildwood, where 238 comes out of Pike National Forest.

Nice! I think the only time I've ventured down anywhere near that area is when we ran La Salle Pass. Hope you enjoy your property!

If you are just trying to get around the e-test, you'd be better off looking out east. But if you want something you can go camping on or something then you'll have to save up!

Hope you can find a solution Dave! I can feel your pain with us moving all the time. I only have my truck to transfer to our claimed state of residence, then I hope I can forget about transferring stuff until we get something new or retire from the .mil.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    Some of them near the front range require you to be registered to vote there in order to register your vehicle. Some of them donít care and some of the (like Jeff just showed) only matters who you happen to talk to.
    The Car Guy

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    If you are just trying to get around the e-test, you'd be better off looking out east. But if you want something you can go camping on or something then you'll have to save up!

Hope you can find a solution Dave! I can feel your pain with us moving all the time. I only have my truck to transfer to our claimed state of residence, then I hope I can forget about transferring stuff until we get something new or retire from the .mil.
    I would rather make use of it for camping/building a cabin eventually. I would rather go further west though, Wolcott/ State Bridge area or south towards Holy Cross is the sweet spot I think.

I'm with ya on that! Some family of mine owns a spread in SW CO that is a few hundred acres smack dab in the middle of national forest. One road in, one road out. Perfect place IMO. On a real FS map, you can see this property in white surrounded by FS green. I'd love to be in a position someday to offer to buy it, but my pockets are going to have to be a whole lot deeper than they are now!

Having land in the sw co is the dream

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chester70-2 View Post
    Having land in the sw co is the dream

Why not a house in Moab? (Go big or go home...)
    Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    Why not a house in Moab? (Go big or go home...)
    Because prices there jumped like crazy as well!
    95 ZJ, Lift, dents, and noise.

And I love to go to MOAB to wheel, but I would much rather own a secluded plot of land in the mtns of CO!

A house and land somewhere around Ouray. Absolutely love this area of Colorado. Moab is great but doesn't pull at my heart strings like this area does.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Because prices there jumped like crazy as well!
    Park County is also a lot shorter drive!

Spoke with the Postmaster in Jefferson today about this. Easy enough to get a P.O. Box up there, but she gave us some insight on registering a vehicle. She said that the Park County Clerk came out last year and called this tax fraud and won't do it unless you're living up there. Seems silly to me, as they are literally saying no to additional taxpayer dollars, but whatever. I didn't mention the additional piece that Jeff brought up as I can't even get a P.O. Box until there's a "structure" on the land. Not a dwelling, just a structure.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester70-2 View Post
    A house and land somewhere around Ouray. Absolutely love this area of Colorado. Moab is great but doesn't pull at my heart strings like this area does.

I know places

Member #
    Images
    Spoke with the Postmaster in Jefferson today about this. Easy enough to get a P.O. Box up there, but she gave us some insight on registering a vehicle. She said that the Park County Clerk came out last year and called this tax fraud and won't do it unless you're living up there. Seems silly to me, as they are literally saying no to additional taxpayer dollars, but whatever. I didn't mention the additional piece that Jeff brought up as I can't even get a P.O. Box until there's a "structure" on the land. Not a dwelling, just a structure.
    Why do i think an outhouse would be a perfect structure?

Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    Why do i think an outhouse would be a perfect structure?
    The Postmaster said that even a small shed from Sears would count to be able to get a PO Box, but it still doesn't solve the issue of "residing" there.

Member #
    Images
    The Postmaster said that even a small shed from Sears would count to be able to get a PO Box, but it still doesn't solve the issue of "residing" there.
    Why not just do what the rich fawkers do, incorporate in Montana, register all your vehicles there. Avoid emissions, reduced tax burden on said vehicles, and get a nifty blue license plate.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Member #
    Images
    I thought they did that in Oregon?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cheftyler View Post
    I was just gonna say that maybe you could just move to a less liberal dumbass state.

I am pretty sure Vermont has non-resident registration as well.
    break, fix, repeat

I'm getting tired of the clerks in Park County thinking they know the law - newest example, I filed for a CCW permit in Park County in 2014 and received a 5 year permit. I made an appointment to renew the permit in December, and when I showed up the clerk was pretty adamant that 'the sheriff' required people to renew their CCWs in the city in which they live. This is complete BS, and the law itself and the freaking application form from their county website states that I can request or renew a permit in the county where I reside, OR the county in which own property, or own a business.

She let me renew in Park County, but made a big deal about it in the end, so I was more than happy to her after I paid that their form has a typo in it and didn't agree to the official state form