Member #
    Images

Gone racing! Sorta...

A month ago I finally had the chance to get my SCCA full competition license school done at Sonoma. They do some classroom stuff each morning (rules of the track, how to find/drive the line, how early/late apexing affects your speed through a corner, etc...) then they put you in an F3 car and take you out to the track for acceleration and braking exercises followed by more classroom then the skid pad.

The acceleration and braking exercise was just to get you used to the sequential gearbox (no clutch going up or down) and to see how the aero aided the braking force of these cars. It also showed me that Iím a giant wuss when it comes to braking...thanks society!

The skid pad exercises are to show you the limit of the car, what it feels like as youíre reaching it, when you reach it, and when you fly past it My class consisted of me and one other guy (added value for us!) and he was a genius on the skid pad/behind the wheel. He also made some seriously beautiful tire smoke when he spun the car on the pad. Turns out neither one of us like the skid pad...for me itís the fact that Iím fat and fat kids donít fit into formula cars of any sort very well.

After the skid pad was done we did a lead/follow exercise behind the instructor, who was driving an S3, switching who was following the instructor midway through. These laps were done on the short 7 version of the track to prevent us from killing ourselves on the straight leading to turn 7 and the esses. This was showing us the line and reinforcing that a good driver in a slower car is faster than either of us

Day 2 was more of the same, but the morning track session was lead/follow to open where we would follow the instructor and then he would wave us by. The afternoon session was straight to open lapping. After the afternoon session the instructor pulled the data logs from our cars and compared them to the lead instructorís laps (again on the short 7 layout) so we could see how quickly he got into the brakes after lifting from the gas, how much brake pressure he was generating, etc...

I still hate the skid pad.

Day 3 we didnít do any braking exercises because weíd done them so well the previous days we didnít need them, so we did on track work with turn 7 which is two turns with about 1 second of full throttle between them. The morning track session was lead/follow/open with the afternoon session being straight open lapping. Days 1 & 2 were on intermediate rain tires. Day 3 was done on racing slicks. I spun on lap 2 of the open lapping session going through the carousel and the data logged freaked out and didnít capture that lap

In the end, itís the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
    Hereís my reward!

This is the playlist of my edited in-car videos. At some point I will probably cut together the full videos for grins.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Member #
    Images
    That is so F'n awesome Ty!! Beyond my comprehension of just how much fun that must have been!

Member #
    Images
    Andy, I highly recommend it

Member #
    Images
    Sweeeeet!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Jon, AKA The Man With The Plan, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Illegitimi non Carborundum = "Don't let the bastards get you down" Micris Fidelis="Faithful to small things" And it's an anagram...I'll let you figure it out

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Awesome!

We saw.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.TJ View Post
    We saw.