Thread: Private Pilots?

Member #
    Images

Cool Private Pilots?

This summer I finally completed something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. I received my private pilot license Aside from the first solos, my most memorable flight so far was taking the family to Saratoga, WY for the day. We enjoyed the town hot springs pool, ate a late lunch and enjoyed good weather both ways (dodged a few rain cells on the way back). Any other pilots on here?

I mentioned I wanted to do this since I was a kid, that's because one of my earliest memories is riding in the back of my uncle's Cessna. Life happened and I forgot all about it until a friend of mine in college mentioned he was a pilot but I couldn't afford it. Moved to CA after school and a coworker who became a very good friend of mine got his license and reminded me but again I couldn't afford it (bay area during the dot-com boom). Most recently me and the kids spent a solid 24 hours in the car driving to and from Wyoming last year to watch the eclipse. Meanwhile a coworker who is a pilot went to work that morning, flew to WY for the eclipse, and was back at work that afternoon. That finally set the ball in motion, and fortunately Monica was supportive because I'm pretty sure this hasn't gotten any cheaper! Currently working on complex endorsement with an eye on instrument training next summer.

And yes, my D300 is still broken.

ER

Member #
    Images
    Not me but I recognize that's quite an accomplishment. Congrats

Member #
    Images
    That's awesome. Congrats!
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

On my to do list also

Congrats!
    "The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them" George Orwell

Member #
    Images
    Nice accomplishment! Ive always wanted to to that and have a small/not so small plane
    " Every soul deserves a shot at a Cadillac, but not everyone should be guaranteed a Cadillac". Ben Stein

Member #
    Congrats Eric. That quite an accomplishment....
    2 OF THE VOICES IN MY HEAD SAY THE WORLD IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE. THE THIRD KEEPS YELLING PULL THE TRIGGER.

EVERY TIME YOU KEEP YOURE MOUTH SHUT SO YOU DONT OFFEND SOMEONE YOU LOSE A LITTLE PEACE OF YOURE 1ST AMENDMENT RIGHTS !!!!!

Member #
    Images
    Well done! Always been on my list, right below getting an SCCA Racing License...the application for that is in the mail
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Congrats! I was working on it but stopped, got more expensive than I was willing to pay to finish it. Erik (CYAN5DE) got his this past summer.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

Member #
    Congrats!
    I got my first ride in a general aviation plane (Beech Baron - not exactly your "typical" small plane) back in the early 70's from a neighbor, and that cemented the bug solid. I started flying in the Navy at the flying club in '77, put it on hold for a lot of years while I flew (aircrew - E-2 Hawkeye) with the Navy and then started a business, raised a family, and finally got back into it in 2000.
    I'm a partner in a flying club at Jeffco that owns a Piper Dakota, a Piper Saratoga, and a Beech Bonanza F-33.
    Flying is my mental health refresher.

check out www.pilotsofamerica.com if you want to get tangled up with another time stealer ...
    Last edited by gkainz; November 12th, 2018 at 09:03 AM.

Member #
    Images

Congrats for sure!

It's great you got your license. I have always wished to get one like the others but it just didn't work out. But I did get to fly one time.
    My step dad was in the air force and spent WW-II in the CBI theater supplying P-40's and tons of other stuff to China and the English. Be fore he left he gave me a US army student pilots hand book. I studied it all through the war. In the 1960's a friend took me up in a J-3 Cub he was rebuilding for my first time ever to be in the air.
    The J-3 did not have any of the niceties like the doors were gone as were all the instruments. That model didn't even come with flaps. The fuel gauge was a wire that stuck up out of the cowling.
    He had been a flight instructor During WW-II. He thought He'd have some fun when he turned the J-3 over to me. I surprised him and my self. That WW-II book must have been well written.
    How ever he wouldn't let me land the Cub. It was a very small field with tall trees. Poop!

Don S..

BTW... all the oxygen was stored in the tires...
    Burleson Tx, Where the Honey's have lotsa Miilk!
    Colorado Mountain Pass Collector for 30 years with 161
    1976 401 Wagoneer 1999 Frontier V6 4x4

Member #
    Images
    Thanks everyone, it has been a very fun and rewarding adventure! Btw, I completed my complex endorsement this afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    Congrats!
    I'm a partner in a flying club at Jeffco
    Iíve looked at that club, you have very nice planes. Iím curious how easy it is to book one of the planes though. 3 planes shared between 45 members seems overloaded? Iíll look closer next year after I have more hours and my instrument rating. I did all of my training at BJC and continue to rent there.

Thanks for sharing all of your stories!

Member #
    Images

Private Pilots?

I also got sucked down the YouTube rabbit hole of Mike Pateyís STOL turbo prop build. combines flying, fabrication, and back country exploring which seems to fit the gang here pretty well.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Thanks everyone, it has been a very fun and rewarding adventure! Btw, I completed my complex endorsement this afternoon

Iíve looked at that club, you have very nice planes. Iím curious how easy it is to book one of the planes though. 3 planes shared between 45 members seems overloaded? Iíll look closer next year after I have more hours and my instrument rating. I did all of my training at BJC and continue to rent there.

Thanks for sharing all of your stories!
    Weekends can be difficult if you don't plan long term (which I don't) but, for example - I just looked this morning and I could book any of the 3 planes nearly any time from now through Friday, which is my normal flying anyway. In the past, we had a number of guys that didn't fly a lot, and scheduling was pretty easy. However, we did have a member just resign because he couldn't book when he wanted to. For prospective members, we create a read-only account on the scheduling system so they can get a real world view of it before committing to anything. And, we have a significant wait list for entry right now, so they have plenty of time to really check it out first.

Congrats Eric!

I use my plane like I use my Jeep. It gets me places that a lot of folks can't get to. It's also fast enough to get me across the country if I want to go to FL for a week.

Here is thread with a few of my adventures.

https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/a...ventures-19106

The guy who runs Backcountrypilot.org is a good guy and that site is a great resource for flying that is analogous to how we play with jeeps.

I also have an A&P cert with IA, so I do all my own maintenance. I'm an addict. I fly for work and when I'm home I'm usually working on or flying a 185.

PM me if you have any questions. I'm 3rd gen Aviator, my wife is a pilot, and my kids are growing up in my hangar.

Quote Originally Posted by cheftyler View Post
    I also got sucked down the YouTube rabbit hole of Mike Pateyís STOL turbo prop build. combines flying, fabrication, and back country exploring which seems to fit the gang here pretty well.
    Didn't he crash it recently?

Congratulations Eric, well done and keep up the good work on getting your ratings/endorsements!

Another backcountrypilot.org guy here. About 10 years ago I sold the Jeep and started using a tailwheel plane to access remote areas, haven't looked back since. Miss the Jeep at times, but not often. Maybe YJLopes and/or I can get you up in a Skywagon and ignite the tailwheel fire? The backcountry community is alive and well in CO with plenty of opportunities.

Check out www.flycolorado.org if you get some spare time.

Matt
    Last edited by Matt; November 14th, 2018 at 07:00 PM.
    The good old days-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flyier19

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.TJ View Post
    Didn't he crash it recently?
    Haven't seen anything about it. The OG engine quit on him mid-flight and that's what moved up his time table to install the turbine.
    Last edited by cheftyler; November 15th, 2018 at 04:04 PM.

It' been on the bucket list a long time to get my ticket. Dad flew for Frontier in the 60's and a week ago I got to fly in a dc3 for the first time. Congrats on getting your ticket!
    -Scott
    http://www.scottstephenphotography.com
    http://www.rmecc.net

Quote Originally Posted by rmjeep View Post
    It' been on the bucket list a long time to get my ticket. Dad flew for Frontier in the 60's and a week ago I got to fly in a dc3 for the first time. Congrats on getting your ticket!
    Who's your dad? I know a ton of guys from the old Frontier.

Was your ride in the Legend Airways DC3 out at Centennial? That's my buddy Brandon's bird.

Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    Who's your dad? I know a ton of guys from the old Frontier.

Was your ride in the Legend Airways DC3 out at Centennial? That's my buddy Brandon's bird.

It was on the Legend Airways Bird. Dad passed away in 87 but is Steve Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by rmjeep View Post
    It was on the Legend Airways Bird. Dad passed away in 87 but is Steve Stephen.
    Brandon's a good guy. He's an airplane nut to the nth degree. Fun guy to chat with.

We are losing more and more of the Frontier guys every day. Such a cool group, I've been lucky to get to know quite a few of them.

Member #
    Images
    For you guys/gals with private pilot licenses, if you donít subscribe to Flight Chops on YouTube, heís worth a look.

Member #
    Images
    Would love to get mine one of these days. Good job Eric..
    Tired of being tired.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    --Robert Heinlein

PROUD PARENT OF A UNITED STATES MARINE!!! Sleep Well America, My Marine Has Got Your Back... Proud Parent of a Sailor, in the United States Navy.......

Lunatic? just call me the duece

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
    Look who's still alive!
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Member #
    Images
    Congrats Eric, it isn't an easy accomplishment!

My private experience started in 1985 at age 19 in a Tomahawk out of Meadow Lake airport east of Colorado Springs.

Current ride is a Pilatus PC-7.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    Congrats Eric, it isn't an easy accomplishment!

My private experience started in 1985 at age 19 in a Tomahawk out of Meadow Lake airport east of Colorado Springs.

Ok - anyone that says Pilatus elicits the obligatory "You SUCK!" response ... just kidding ... that's awesome. PC-9 is top of the list of "If I win the lotto" dream. Of course, that assumes I actually buy a ticket.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Maybe YJLopes and/or I can get you up in a Skywagon and ignite the tailwheel fire?
    I'd love a ride in a 185 sometime Where do both of you fly out of? Tailwheel is in the to-do list, but no rush until I have access to one so I can use it.

Check out www.flycolorado.org if you get some spare time.
    Yup I visit flycolorado, POA, backcountrypilot, CO pilots, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cheftyler View Post
    For you guys/gals with private pilot licenses, if you donít subscribe to Flight Chops on YouTube, heís worth a look.
    I like his videos. I also like Niko's Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
    Who is this Clyde fellow?

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    Impressive! Pilatus just built a spiffy new hangar at BJC.

Last week I flew the family to Pagosa Springs via Pueblo then across North La Veta pass and Cumbres pass in an Archer II (still working on the minimum checkout hours to take the Arrow solo). Wednesday the weather was perfect for the flight there, calm winds and not a cloud in the sky. Hobbs time 2.8 hrs. Thursday afternoon we tried to head home but had to turn back as we were surrounded by IMC. Spent another night there, cleaned the snow off the plane Friday morning and headed home. Nice clear weather but WINDY! The radio was very quiet all the way home, not much traffic (even got clearance through Bravo which allowed us to stay at the smoother 10k altitude for a bit longer). At one point I saw 105 KIAS with a ground speed of 160 kts, and as we headed north of COS the ground speed fell to 75 kts. Return trip took 2.6 hours but the family was not too happy about the bumpy ride. Winds at BJC were 28-35 kts aligned with rwy 30, but as I turned final tower told me it was 340 at 16 kts. Made a great landing and everyone was happy to be home. I'll add some pics, overall another fun family adventure

Member #
    Tried to go fly the Dakota this afternoon but reports were pretty bumpy. Tore the main landing gear strut apart instead to rebuild and stop the leak.