Emissions Adventures

I have an 06 LJ with an 07 5.3 that I've had in the Jeep for 7 years with pretty minimal troubles. I did the emissions tech center evaluation and have the DR2365 form signing off on everything being kosher.

I went to get my test done this year and they told me it failed due to VIN mismatch between the computer and chassis. Isn't that expected if you have a totally different vendor's drivetrain in your vehicle?

They did give me the OBD test and not the dyno test if that changes how that goes.

Any suggestions? I've spent a ton of money and time trying to make sure the Jeep is compliant and it seems like they just don't want engine swapped vehicles on the road.

Frustrating
    06 LJ Rubicon - 5.3LY5/4L75E/Atlas 4SP, 4" mix and match lift

I am going to guess the OBD test is the problem. Sounds like you got some folks that are not familiar with engine swaps.

I would contact the referee station (where you got the 2365 form) and ask them.

The "tech" that failed you will be listed on your test- so perhaps a training moment is in order.
    If you cross thread a bolt, there is no need for loctite.

Run whatcha brung... And hope you brought enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PovertyByJeep View Post
    I am going to guess the OBD test is the problem. Sounds like you got some folks that are not familiar with engine swaps.

The "tech" that failed you will be listed on your test- so perhaps a training moment is in order.
    x2, hopefully it is just a benign error on the tech's part
    break, fix, repeat

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PovertyByJeep View Post

What he said.
    The Lemonator
    Jeepnut Extrordinaire

I'm interested if this was resolved.
    I started with nothing, and I've got most of it left.

Not yet - Iíve been traveling a lot this Fall and moving soon. Iíll make sure and update with progress.

Don't you get a form of some kind showing your vehicle has a converted engine and that it is kosher? Wouldn't you take that with you and show them when they try to give you grief about it?
    Murray's Toys: 76 FJ40, 00 Toyota MR2, 07 KTM 450EXC, 05 Suzuki SV1000S, 12 Yeti SB66c, too many skis to list...

I got your Jeep thing....now it burns when I pee

You do get a form, DR 2365 I believe, that shows that you have passed the equipment inspection. I have had people at the emission testing station not know about it when I handed it to them. That's why I was wondering if it was just incompetence or if something has changed since I last renewed my license.
    As a side note, the guy that did my inspection said that some of the popular Hemi into Jeep conversions weren't actually legal because they didn't include a second catalytic converter. This was several years ago, not sure what the current situation is.

Quote Originally Posted by SamFromCO View Post
    You do get a form, DR 2365 I believe, that shows that you have passed the equipment inspection. I have had people at the emission testing station not know about it when I handed it to them. That's why I was wondering if it was just incompetence or if something has changed since I last renewed my license.
    As a side note, the guy that did my inspection said that some of the popular Hemi into Jeep conversions weren't actually legal because they didn't include a second catalytic converter. This was several years ago, not sure what the current situation is.
    Correct! I have this form - I imagine the techs just didnít understand what was in front of them. They were very fixated on the VIN issue and I donít know if they even looked at it since it had other emissions blockers.