Need a new streaming device for TV - Roku appears to be on life support

I was given a Roku 1 as a friend upgraded to a smart TV. Mine are all still dumb. So I've been using this Roku for a little over 2 years with good success. But then, a purple screen of what I can only image is death! Did this to us a week ago, but snapped out of it. Then again last night and there was no revival this time. I unplugged the unit overnight and tried it again today. Got 10 minutes into a Dukes of Hazzard episode before the purple screen'd and then restarted on it's own. "Programmed Obsolesce" is what I call it!

Anywho, we primarily watch Netflix, Amazon Prime video, and Youtube. So looking for a device that does those things to replace my Roku.

What do you use?

Thanks!
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    I've used an Amazon Fire Stick for the past couple of years without any significant issues. I have 3 of them now, and the oldest one is needing to be replaced as it is slow to load, otherwise it does everything you are wanting to do as that is what we use it for- Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Pandora, etc.

I found a Blue Ray player at Best Buy with WiFi connectivity. The salesman was actually REALLY helpful in figuring out what I needed. I linked it to my router, it has Netflix, Amazon Prime, youtube, Pandora- and also a bunch of other Apps I never use. I think it was $60.

It is a little slow and not nearly as effective as the xbox360, but small (I hide it behind the TV) and seems to work very well. It is "less" clumsy than my daughter's Roku, but not ideal in my opinion.

BUT- it is just as effective as my Mom's smart TV- so I'll keep my dumb tv for a while and deal with the clumsy DVD player.
    If you cross thread a bolt, there is no need for loctite.

Run whatcha brung... And hope you brought enough.

We have that exact thing down stairs. A Sony Brand. And while it works, I find myself having to reset it as well. The few times we use it, it is primarily to stream and it is clear that this was not it's main function. It has played discs like a champ everytime tho. But I did buy that specific model so that I could stream and play discs. What brand is yours?

However, we don't have the ability to play discs upstairs and there may be a benefit to that. Hmmm...

Meanwhile, reading thru some threads fetched by google, it seems it could also have something to do with my TV not "handshaking" the Roku as an input. It's like the OG trying to fist-bump or something?? So I unplugged the TV for a few minutes and will have to see if that has helped. Next step is trying a different HDMI, but how can a setup like this work for 2 years, then suddenly fail for no reason?

yeah- you are about 40 levels above my technical level there. Somewhere through that third paragraph, I would have probably been "hand shaking" the Roku as far as I could throw it.

I think ours is a Sony- but I am not sure. Our only problems have been that every so often we have to re-convince YouTube to play videos- which requires 14 sign in things, and checking your account on your mobile device- blah blah. If Youtube were a physical thing I would have beat the ever-living out of it. I just wanted to watch 1320 coverage of Drag Week!!!

If/when the DVD gives up, I'll probably hit craigslist for a used xbox. My kiddo has one now- and it is way smoother on all fronts.

I know back-in-the-day, I bought a "Game Console" because it would play Blu-ray discs. Does the Xbox do that? Maybe I need to look into that?

What type of phone/tablet do you use? We have all Android and love our Chromecasts. The Amazon Prime stuff won't work with them, but the Fire Sticks work pretty well too. We got one of those just to watch The Grand Tour.
    www.staythetrail.org

Member #
    Images
    We have Shield TV, and honestly I love it. It runs full android, has both amazon and netflix along with everything else. It is a little spendy, but has tons of options.
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Images
    Sounds like the firestick or firetv will do everything you want. Both work very well.
    Contact me for all your firearms needs. Guns, ammo, accessories, NFA......

We are a mixed family. I'm all android and she's apple. But lets be real, I control the electronics so it'd be better to be android.

Last night TV had no interruptions so perhaps I am ok here. I know the TV hadn't been down since the last power outage, so maybe it needed that. Maybe I can put off buying a new streaming device for a little while more.

If you are looking to upgrade, I have an amazon fire cube. You said amazon prime video so I'm going to recommend the cube. I like being able to tell Alexa to turn the tv on. I'd look for it to be on sale black Friday/cyber Monday.
    -Scott
    http://www.scottstephenphotography.com
    http://www.rmecc.net

I'll look into the cube. We have two "Alexa" devices in our house, so I suppose it would fit well.

But so far, no issues. I did notice that when I turn on my Roku, the TV automatically turns on. But for the past few weeks it wasn't doing that. Perhaps the TV not turning on is a sign that it is not speaking to the Roku properly and it's time for a reset...

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    I'll look into the cube. We have two "Alexa" devices in our house, so I suppose it would fit well.

But so far, no issues. I did notice that when I turn on my Roku, the TV automatically turns on. But for the past few weeks it wasn't doing that. Perhaps the TV not turning on is a sign that it is not speaking to the Roku properly and it's time for a reset...
    You missed the Cube on the Amazon Treasure Truck yesterday for a decent price.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Member #
    Images
    What's wrong with another Roku? Have had ours for 9-10 years now.

Treasure truck? Wha? Geesh, I feel like my head is in the sand sometimes!

Nothing is wrong with another Roku really. I just wanted to see what else might be available.

Member #
    Images
    Treasure truck? Wha? Geesh, I feel like my head is in the sand sometimes!

Nothing is wrong with another Roku really. I just wanted to see what else might be available.
    It's an Amazon thing, they bring a decked out truck to a spot (brewery, restaurant, stadium, etc...) and sell 1 item via the website or app, you then pick the location/time that works for you that day and go get your stuff. They usually have music playing, some games set up, etc...the deals can be pretty good if the timing works for you.

Well, alrighty then!

Member #
    I am likely one of the most technological disasters here but i finally had the interwebby installed in my house yesterday. I also ordered a roku thing since they are cheap.

The tv in my living room has netflix, youtube, vudu and lots of other stuff built into it so i don't know if i need the roku for it if vudu is any good but i haven't heard anybody talk about it.

What you you people who know things recommend as best and cheapest for just watching tv series and stuff like that?
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Member #
    Again, i don't know what any of this means but i assume my interwebby is good enough to watch tv on since most of it is filled in??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    It does say that video streaming is 5 for 5 after i actually looked closer so i guess I'm good to go.

Member #
    Images
    Proudly un-offended.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    I am likely one of the most technological disasters here but i finally had the interwebby installed in my house yesterday. I also ordered a roku thing since they are cheap.

The tv in my living room has netflix, youtube, vudu and lots of other stuff built into it so i don't know if i need the roku for it if vudu is any good but i haven't heard anybody talk about it.

What you you people who know things recommend as best and cheapest for just watching tv series and stuff like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Again, i don't know what any of this means but i assume my interwebby is good enough to watch tv on since most of it is filled in??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Innertubes fine.
    What is your definition of cheap? Do you want live TV too or just reruns?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cheftyler View Post
    Innertubes fine.
    What is your definition of cheap? Do you want live TV too or just reruns?
    I guess the cheap part is relative to what i am getting. I would prefer live i guess but reruns would also be ok. I would also prefer it to be a month to month think because i will most likely one use it for a few months of the year since i rarely even turn the tv on during summertime and have an OTA antenna that does a decent job for local channels.

Member #
    I have the free trial of netflix right now and although there might be a few movies i might watch, i doubt it just because i seldom have 2 hour that i want to kill watching tv and the tv shows that they offer are for the most part nothing i care to watch.

Tv shows that i enjoy are mostly stuff that is shown on velocity and history channels.

Member #
    Images
    Velocity I canít help you with, but I did YouTube TV a year or so ago and itís been amazing so far.

Netflix is tailored towards movies, but they have come a long way in offering series' as well. So use the search and see if you can find what you want while you have your trial.

We are Amazon Prime members, so we use that too. Between the two, it seems we can find something to watch fairly easily. But I will admit, neither really offer an cool series' yet for off roading and stuff. There seems to be a fair amount of hunting stuff tho.

You web speed is great! I'm lucky if my download speed matches your upload!

Member #
    Images
    Netflix is tailored towards movies, but they have come a long way in offering series' as well.
    amazon.com/tv/torn ?

Member #
    I got my Roku in the mail today but don't know if i will have time to play with it this evening.

Member #
    Finally have a few minutes before bed to hook the the Roku. Its taking forever to update.