Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Selling a Shotgun

    Hi all,

    I have a shotgun I'm trying to sell and wondering what the protocol is here in Colorado. It's a Remington 970 tactical, nothing too fancy, but I want to make sure I'm following the rules. Any advice/tips are appreciated.

    '05 LJ, ARB/4.56 F&R, 33s

  2. #2

  3. #3
    70jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    On some trail in Park County
    Member #
    You can take it to an FFL and the buyer can get it there and most charge a fee $25.00 to $50.00 depending on the FFL. Buyer can pick it up there after Background done or it can be shipped one FFL to another FFL if buyer lives elsewhere.
    I suffered trail rejection from a carb infection and after futher inspection fuel injection was my election for proper correction and now I want some gear selection, any question?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Falcon, CO
    Member #
    If selling in state, person to person, a background check must be performed by an FFL. If selling out of state, the buyer must find a local FFL to receive the shipment. Some FFL's will receive from individuals out of state some will not. The FFL will charge a background check fee.

    You can also give it or sell it to an immediate family member without a background check.
    Contact me for all your firearms needs. Guns, ammo, accessories, NFA......

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Arvada, CO
    Member #
    There used to be a pretty good list online of FFL and their prices for transfer fees, but I haven't looked in a while. I've used Centennial Gun Club and Bristlecone in the past as I had memberships there and they were pretty reasonable then. There was a one man shop out in Brighton I used once, since the buyer was out that way.

  6. #6
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    Long story short, as of the new Colorado gun laws, you both have to go into an FFL to have the transfer done legally. There are exceptions for close family, but it doesn't sound like those apply to you. If you are shipping it, you have to have an FFL do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts