Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Rubber bumper/stopper

    I am attempting to tighten up the catch on my swinging tire carrier in the hopes I can take some of the rattle and rocking out of it. Before I do a total redesign, I wanted to try adding some sort of bump stop to the arm to see how much that helps. So I am looking for suggestions on what to use. I have been looking on Amazon and Mcmaster, but not having dealt with these sort of things before I am hoping to lean on the experience of an expert.

    My idea is to weld a short piece of angle iron to the top of the bumper near the catch and mount this rubber bump stop to it and adjust it accordingly.



    This is along the lines I was thinking:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#9306k14/=1e5qj97

    The arm it will rest against is 2" sq. tube, so I want it to be no bigger than that.

    Thanks!
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

  2. #2
    tjjared413's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Glenwood Springs, Co
    Member #
    5925
    Images
    16
    How about some huvm/ cutting board stuff to us as a bushing?
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

  3. #3
    The piece that is about 1/2" thick below the arm is that stuff, so it rests on the bumper when closed. But I think I need something more flexible than that to apply a constant pressure to the catch. The catch is like a car door with a striker on the bumper FWIW. The knob is a spring loaded safety pin that drops into a hole in the bumper.

  4. #4
    cheftyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Member #
    8454
    Images
    1
    Last edited by cheftyler; August 15th, 2018 at 07:41 AM.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

  5. #5
    That is certainly the idea I had in mind, but perhaps a little more robust.

    I wonder if a bump stop like these would have a bit of a progressive compression:
    https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...shock-eyes.asp

  6. #6
    cheftyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Member #
    8454
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    That is certainly the idea I had in mind, but perhaps a little more robust.

    I wonder if a bump stop like these would have a bit of a progressive compression:
    https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...shock-eyes.asp
    This is what my Shrockworks bumper used on my Xterra and they worked really well.

  7. #7
    I actually had a conversation with them this morning. My concern was there was very little cushion in the poly. What do you say? I don't need a hard stop, but some sort of cushion that is always pressing against the catch.

  8. #8
    More research and I came across these:
    http://www.vibrationmounts.com/Store...=Products6.htm



    They have one that is right at 2" O.D. with 1" of threads on nearly a 3/8" stud. As long as I put washers behind the base, if it's extended, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

    I would like to get a feel for how soft or hard they are, so waiting on a response to my email.

  9. #9
    My suggestion is to place one nearer the hinge to put the whole mess in a "bind" when closed- then add one near the latch to catch the rest (make this one barely contact anything- or else closing it will be a major struggle).

    My home-made redneck carrier has two 3/8" bolts that are adjustable near the hinge and that's it. Every so often, I have to back the jam nut off and extend the bolt a tiny bit to tighten everything.
    If you cross thread a bolt, there is no need for loctite.

    Run whatcha brung... And hope you brought enough.

  10. #10
    I understand what you are saying. But there isn't much movement near the hinge. It needs support out near the catch end.

    If I add one near the catch, I am sure there will be a significant amount of fine tuning required to get it to have the right amount of stabilization vs effort to close. And likely an ongoing chore.

    I am also contemplating re-making the whole latch mechanism with some sort of cam-lock or something. But I figured if for $10-20, I could try this it'd be worth the effort.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •