Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Jerry cans

  1. #1
    DaleD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    14519

    Jerry cans

    I know I can google it but thought i'd ask here.
    Anyone know of a good way to test for leaks and/or problems with old school metal Jerry cans?

    I have 2 that have not seen the light of day for 25+ yrs and would like to try and use them...

    Thanks in advance...

    P.S. Yes i know I could buy 2 new plastics ones but wanna see if these guys are still usable..

  2. #2
    creepycrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The land of free bacon.
    Member #
    5806
    Put liquid in them and see if it stays inside?

    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Put liquid in them and see if it stays inside?

    This....

    In the alternative, find a used cap and weld an air fitting on it and pressurize to about 10-20 psi and then spray the outside with soapy water.
    (Well, I'm takin' my time) I'm just movin' along
    You'll forget about me after I've been gone
    (And I take what I find) I don't want no more It's just outside of your front door

  4. #4
    put the lid on tight and leave them in a bathtub full of water. if they sink then you know they leak
    break, fix, repeat

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    This....

    In the alternative, find a used cap and weld an air fitting on it and pressurize to about 10-20 psi and then spray the outside with soapy water.
    This except 1-2 psi is adequate. If they are weak, 10-20 psi will find the weak spot. If they are in good shape, 10-20 may deform them permanently.

    Thats a lot of work though when you could just buy 5 gallons of cheap gas and let them set on the driveway overnight.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    This except 1-2 psi is adequate. If they are weak, 10-20 psi will find the weak spot. If they are in good shape, 10-20 may deform them permanently.

    Thats a lot of work though when you could just buy 5 gallons of cheap gas and let them set on the driveway overnight.
    This is why you get paid the big bucks....


  7. #7
    creepycrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The land of free bacon.
    Member #
    5806
    Quote Originally Posted by YJLopes View Post
    This except 1-2 psi is adequate. If they are weak, 10-20 psi will find the weak spot. If they are in good shape, 10-20 may deform them permanently.

    Thats a lot of work though when you could just buy 5 gallons of cheap gas and let them set on the driveway overnight.
    Like i said to begin with. Put stuff in em. See if stuff stays in em.

  8. #8
    DaleD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    14519
    Piss on it... Cheaper to buy two new ones....

    Anyone want 2 Jerry cans?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleD View Post
    Piss on it... Cheaper to buy two new ones....

    Anyone want 2 Jerry cans?
    too far

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleD View Post
    Piss on it... Cheaper to buy two new ones....

    Anyone want 2 Jerry cans?
    Sure!

    PM me an addresss....

  11. #11
    The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Longmont
    Member #
    807
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleD View Post
    Piss on it... Cheaper to buy two new ones....

    Anyone want 2 Jerry cans?
    Wow, when did a couple gallons of water become more than buying new cans?

  12. #12
    creepycrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The land of free bacon.
    Member #
    5806
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleD View Post
    Piss on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Wow, when did a couple gallons of water become more than buying new cans?
    He didn't even have to buy water, he could have just pissed in them.

  13. #13
    THE STRANGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United Republic Of Saudi Aurora
    Member #
    8836
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleD View Post
    Piss on it... Cheaper to buy two new ones....

    Anyone want 2 Jerry cans?
    So am I 3rd in line.
    I'm just wanna cut them up anyway...
    2 OF THE VOICES IN MY HEAD SAY THE WORLD IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE. THE THIRD KEEPS YELLING PULL THE TRIGGER.

    EVERY TIME YOU KEEP YOURE MOUTH SHUT SO YOU DONT OFFEND SOMEONE YOU LOSE A LITTLE PEACE OF YOURE 1ST AMENDMENT RIGHTS !!!!!

  14. #14
    DaleD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    14519
    Quote Originally Posted by THE STRANGER View Post
    So am I 3rd in line.
    I'm just wanna cut them up anyway...
    2nd Willie called first dibs so i'll try my best to get them to him..

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleD View Post
    Piss on it...
    I don't think that will work unless you drink a bunch of dish soap first, it would work better if you piss in it but you're gonna have to drink a lot of beer to fill up 2 Jerry Cans
    "The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them" George Orwell

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Wow, when did a couple gallons of water become more than buying new cans?
    we are in a drought, right?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    Sure!

    PM me an addresss....
    So what's your plan? I've seen some folks put some speakers in them! Neat idea for some, but I wouldn't want to waste the space in my rig. I do want to make an Ammo can center console.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    So what's your plan? I've seen some folks put some speakers in them! Neat idea for some, but I wouldn't want to waste the space in my rig. I do want to make an Ammo can center console.
    I ran out of fuel once...

    I'm sure that the new NATO cans are mucho better but I'm old and old cans will do.

  19. #19
    DaleD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    14519
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    I ran out of fuel once...

    I'm sure that the new NATO cans are mucho better but I'm old and old cans will do.
    Just PM'd you with my cell let me know if you get it...

  20. #20
    THE STRANGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United Republic Of Saudi Aurora
    Member #
    8836
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    So what's your plan? I've seen some folks put some speakers in them! Neat idea for some, but I wouldn't want to waste the space in my rig. I do want to make an Ammo can center console.
    I wanna three or four of them cut up and use as a faux cover for my fuel cell.
    That's why the ruster the better

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by THE STRANGER View Post
    I wanna three or four of them cut up and use as a faux cover for my fuel cell.
    That's why the ruster the better
    I see. That would be neat.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by THE STRANGER View Post
    I wanna three or four of them cut up and use as a faux cover for my fuel cell.
    That's why the ruster the better
    why not weld them together and make a new fuel cell

  23. #23
    THE STRANGER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United Republic Of Saudi Aurora
    Member #
    8836
    That's why I want old rusty dusted.
    If already got the cell, I'm lookin at the rat rod look...
    I'm using old gate turn buckles for valve Cover bolts...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •