Member #
    Images

Talking Spring Creek Shakedown Run after 4-year LS Swap

It's done! It's done! It's mutha fawkin' done! After 4 years and a shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhit load of $$$$$$$$ this LS2/TH400 RMVB/Atlas swap is finally done!

I am ready for my shakedown run and as much as I want to go hit Carnage or Penrose, I think it's best to hit something easy so Spring Creek it is. Looking to hit it Saturday June 2 and learn to wheel all over again . Any takers?

EDIT: Date updated to June 24. See post below.
    Last edited by TheJeepGuy; June 18th, 2018 at 04:51 AM.

Member #
    Extricating out of bv is way easier than spring creak. If I could swing it I would! Have fun and congrats!!!!

Member #
    Images
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...86#post2453786

im gonna try something saturday, if you are up to something a little further up
    06 rubicon unlimited, Rokmen all around

Carl Sagan: "If it can be destroyed by the truth, then it deserves to be destroyed by the truth"

Member #
    Images
    Thanks, but I'm looking for something a little closer for a shakedown. A snow bash up HC is all you ;-)

Since this is a bust I guess I'll cancel this and find something else to do. Thankfully I've found other interests the past 4 years in saving up money to finish this build, so I'll probably brew up a 10-gallon batch of Oatmeal Milk Stout to barrel age for Oktoberfest
    Last edited by TheJeepGuy; May 30th, 2018 at 08:12 AM.

Rainbow Falls is good because you can park right by the rocks. No risk of getting stranded. That's where I did my LS shakedown.

Member #
    Images
    I won't be doing any snowbashing on my 33s and an unfamiliar trail. Will probably just hit BV, or maybe iron chest? Haven't run that one at all.

Member #
    Images
    Nice man Iím really close to going out my self and I would vote to just dive in to the deep end
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Thinking about a sunday run, anyone interested?

Member #
    Images
    Well, I got my junk tuned today and did a pre-shakedown run in the process and boy am I glad I'm not trying to wheel my junk this weekend! I found out that my serpentine belt is coming off because I have the wrong pulley on my PSC PC pump and that my brand new alternator is only putting out 11 volts at idle. Needless to say, I added a spare belt to my spare parts arsenal for the trail . Made a stop at the welding shop to pick up some new welding goggles for trail-welding while I was out too. I got my designated LS pulley ordered from PSC and a new Powermaster 215A High Output alternator on the way. I should have everything buttoned up for that shakedown next Saturday on the 9th.

That tune definitely made a difference though! After he made a few adjustments on the laptop I felt all 400 ponies and it was awwwwwwesome . Can't wait to get her out somewhere to let the LS breathe

Member #
    Images

New Date: Sunday 24 June

Going to try to set this up again for this Sunday the 24th. Anyone down?

Put me as a possible. Had some issues with mine last run so trying to fix it this week and may need a shakedown run myself.
    Red 1st gen 4Runner, White Buggy

I have 2 rigs that could also use a shakedown but I'm not sure I will have either of them prepped in time.
    break, fix, repeat

Sorry to hijack, but who did your tune? My LC9 runs good straight from 150 Tunes, but I'm sure it could be 'fine tuned'.

Unfortunately wont be around this weekend to join the shakedown party. Running Chinaman and Carnage the weekend of July 1st though if you're interested in joining.

I ran spring creek as my shakedown a couple weeks ago but I'm itching to get out again and my usual wheeling buddies aren't able to get out Sunday. I might have to join up with you guys!

I'm in the middle of LS swap shakedown work. Redoing some stuff from my first shakedown run and hopefully parts delivered thursday. I'll be watching this and may tag along depending on if I get done.

Member #
    Images
    Cool, looks like some folks are interested! This will be awsome! Sounds like some capable rigs with similar builds looking to test some sh!t out. This will be my first day out in over 4 years (2nd day out in 5 years)...hopefully I remember how to do this Although going from a manual to an auto will force me to learn to drive all over again. At least I've had some practice in my back yard RC course all these years

So I'm thinking of meeting up at 0930 at the dirt lot just north of the Sinclair gas station in Downieville: 39.766254,-105.613963

Sound good?

WarDog - My tuner guy's name is Trent and he's in Brighton. He runs a performance shop out there and so far he seems great. He flashed my ECU and made a bunch of adjustments to give me a nice tune for my setup. I can get you his number if you like.

Thanks, that would be great. Have fun on the shakedown run!

Working on my junk. Hoping to retune tomorrow and make the sunday morning time.

You guys mind if I join you, assuming I can get some stuff ready tomorrow? 4runner on 4Ds.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    ''Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.'' - Plato

Going to try and get my Tacoma wrapped up today so I can tag along. Open on 33s.

Anyone know if the trail conditions have changed enough to make it impassable for me?

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Going to try and get my Tacoma wrapped up today so I can tag along. Open on 33s.

Anyone know if the trail conditions have changed enough to make it impassable for me?
    I can't comment on the trail conditions or difficulty on open diffs w/33s, but it sounds like the rest of us are all trailer queens locked or [in my case] spooled on 4Ds. Based on what I've "heard" it might be a little much for your rig, but again I never actually ran it before so I don't know for sure. But, I don't know you or your skill level either so I'll just tell you what I tell the guy who's a little apprehensive about running Carnage for the first time: know your limits.

OK, let's plan for that empty lot right next to Starbucks in Downieville at 0930 tomorrow. I can't believe I'm ACTUALLY going to drive this thing after 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJeepGuy View Post
    I can't comment on the trail conditions or difficulty on open diffs w/33s, but it sounds like the rest of us are all trailer queens locked or [in my case] spooled on 4Ds. Based on what I've "heard" it might be a little much for your rig, but again I never actually ran it before so I don't know for sure. But, I don't know you or your skill level either so I'll just tell you what I tell the guy who's a little apprehensive about running Carnage for the first time: know your limits.

OK, let's plan for that empty lot right next to Starbucks in Downieville at 0930 tomorrow. I can't believe I'm ACTUALLY going to drive this thing after 4 years!

I actually ran it in October on 31s. I took the bypass for the first obstacle but got through everything else. I like to think I'm a good driver but I'm sure thats debatable

I also have a yj on 37s locked and armored but I have no way of getting it to the trail.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Right now my data is not good and I don't know why. I may be there or not. I'm never late to trailhead so if you don't see a linked, caged,tube front, k5 on 42's by go-time don't wait for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post

I actually ran it in October on 31s. I took the bypass for the first obstacle but got through everything else. I like to think I'm a good driver but I'm sure thats debatable

I also have a yj on 37s locked and armored but I have no way of getting it to the trail.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    I think Im gonna hit slaughterhouse instead so I'm not holding you guys back

Guys, I'm out. I'd need to start a good bit earlier to make the day work.

Good luck with the shakedown!

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Images
    It went great! Although no one from the board showed up, but my good friend who I texted did so it's all good. It was busy day on the trail for sure! Big thanks to the group who let us pass just in time for me [& my open top, no windshield or doors] to find shelter under a tree when it started to hail The Geap did awesome! The exhaust turned out perfect too. She's nice & quiet while crawling, but sounds like a beast when I get on it in 2nd gear And that front dig!!! Oh my gawd that is 'da bomb!...especially on that trail! There were a bunch of switchbacks I got to test it out on and it was super nice to have that feature as I'm spooled front & rear. I was able to flex it out a little, but not fully, so I got some poser shots. My dog Buddy was loving it and I WORE HIM OUT. He was DONE when we got home.

The only issues I had was overheating a little (which should NEVER fawking happen with that jurasic radiator I crammed in there!), but that was just because I blew the fuses for my fans somehow so that was an easy fix. And my transmission was taking its sweet time going into reverse, which I'm "hoping" will just require an adjustment on the linkage. I tore that whole thing down, put in a new clutch pack, fw drum, a couple upgrades and a RMVB so I literally know it inside-out . The other problem I'm fixing next week is the oil filter issue. Looks like the driveshaft is hitting it a little so I'm going install a remote oil filter on the driver's side of the block. I thought I might have some extra AN hose to use but all the hose ends are -10 Shoot, I only have -8 reduced to -6 on the fuel lines. -10 braided hose and fittings aint cheap!

Great day out. It felt so good to drive that thing again! Me thinks I need to hit Penrose next where there's some spots where I can open her up and let that V8 breathe

Rad! Nice pics. Wish we could have made it. We hit it Cascade Creek from the back side on our dirt bikes on the way home from Steamboat. I think we saw your tow rigs at the gas station. I noticed that my LS runs a little hotter than the old straight 6, they all do. I ended up doing what you said with a Kevco pan and remote filter. It's really nice. The catch can/pcv configuration also has to be "dialed-in" to avoid burning oil when you lay it over on it's side. It took me a while to get it right. Still not sure if it's totally right.
    Heading to BV early tomorrow through Sunday if you're up and running.

Member #
    Images
    Oh man, thank you so much for mentioning that catch can! I didn't even consider that and with how much I'm on my lid/side...I NEED IT! Going to do some Summit shopping this weekend and order one. Can you elaborate more on what getting it "dialed-in". I was just thinking of something standard like what this guy did. I know it's a street car and totally different application, but wouldn't that be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by WARDOG View Post
    Rad! Nice pics. Wish we could have made it. We hit it Cascade Creek from the back side on our dirt bikes on the way home from Steamboat. I think we saw your tow rigs at the gas station. I noticed that my LS runs a little hotter than the old straight 6, they all do. I ended up doing what you said with a Kevco pan and remote filter. It's really nice. The catch can/pcv configuration also has to be "dialed-in" to avoid burning oil when you lay it over on it's side. It took me a while to get it right. Still not sure if it's totally right.
    Heading to BV early tomorrow through Sunday if you're up and running.

Love the Pics! Sorry I could not go. We ended up at Carnage Saturday and ran Chinaman's after Carnage. I was pretty beat Sunday. Glad to hear your rig performed with exception of the overheating.

Member #
    Images
    Awesome man!!!