Member #

School me on bumper pull travel trailers/toy haulers..

20170727_193918 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

The number of people camping in my family is going up so I'm looking to upgrade from my truck camper to an 18-24' bumper pull that will sleep 6.

Never owned one so I'm curious on what you liked, hated, wished it had, brand preference, etc.

Been shopping the internet for a couple months now and went and looked at some used units. I'm not really impressed with the prices on 20 year old trailers so I'm kinda leaning towards new or within a couple years of new.
    197? DJ-5 LHD & 4wd

Member #
    I bought a bumper pull toy hauler last year. My requirements:
    Walk around Bed - not the kind that is all sidways
    Real shower (not the kind with the toilet in the actual shower)
    AC/Furnace
    Electric jacks (so worth it)
    Electric awning (also more worth it that you realize)
    Built in generator is a big plus

Decide if you want a toy hauler or not, because that changes things.

Member #
    Images
    if you dont get a built in generator, plan to dump a chunk of change for one that can still kick over the a/c....
    hookers and blow!

Yep- toy hauler or not is key. VERY different trailers.

Walk around bed is really nice- but eats up trailer length. I personally would also require a walk around bed.
    Real shower is a must in our world too.

The risk (in my opinion) on used toy haulers is where they have been. It doesn't take much tweaking to have every corner leak and try to come apart in the front. Water damage is no bueno. Where I see some of them at Rampart makes me cringe.

It sounds like Dane has the ideal toy hauler to me- sort of the best of both types of trailers- all the goodies of a standard travel trailer with the bonus of a giant rear door, and storage area.
    If you cross thread a bolt, there is no need for loctite.

Run whatcha brung... And hope you brought enough.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PovertyByJeep View Post
    Yep- toy hauler or not is key. VERY different trailers.

Walk around bed is really nice- but eats up trailer length. I personally would also require a walk around bed.
    Real shower is a must in our world too.

The risk (in my opinion) on used toy haulers is where they have been. It doesn't take much tweaking to have every corner leak and try to come apart in the front. Water damage is no bueno. Where I see some of them at Rampart makes me cringe.

It sounds like Dane has the ideal toy hauler to me- sort of the best of both types of trailers- all the goodies of a standard travel trailer with the bonus of a giant rear door, and storage area.
    I did a TON of research and my options were extremely limited due to the towing limitations of a Ford Raptor (8,000 Gross, plenty of motor, but soft suspension). The one concession I had to make was a built in generator - just didn't exist as an option in this model. There is another flavor that would have worked, but at double the price I had to go with this one. Mine is a 2017 Palomino Puma 24 FBC. Here's a link I found to a 2018 that looks exactly the same:
    http://www.optimumrv.com/product/new...-fbc-694537-29

I don't use the chairs, I pulled them out to make more table/counter space - but it's all very modular. Mine also has an electric drop down bed above the fold away couches/bed you see in those pictures.

Member #
    Thanks for the input.

We looked at a couple used toy haulers and they definitely get used hard. I was mainly interested in them because of the flexibility the floor plan offers, don't really need the toy hauler aspect though it would be nice at times.

It seems there are a couple unicorn trailers out there that would have everything we're looking for but they are few and far between especially used.

Things we need/really want are

Shorter the better, we looked at a couple 25 and 27' trailers and they are huge, at least to newbies like us.
    Sleeps 5 with 4 separate beds, ideally Queen, dinette and double bunk.

The Coachman Clipper 17BH would be perfect but they are spendy new so we're still shopping around.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-de...delID=300#Main

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneH View Post
    I did a TON of research and my options were extremely limited due to the towing limitations of a Ford Raptor (8,000 Gross, plenty of motor, but soft suspension). The one concession I had to make was a built in generator - just didn't exist as an option in this model. There is another flavor that would have worked, but at double the price I had to go with this one. Mine is a 2017 Palomino Puma 24 FBC. Here's a link I found to a 2018 that looks exactly the same:
    http://www.optimumrv.com/product/new...-fbc-694537-29

I don't use the chairs, I pulled them out to make more table/counter space - but it's all very modular. Mine also has an electric drop down bed above the fold away couches/bed you see in those pictures.
    That is a sweet toy hauler! The electric queen bunks were one of the options that I really liked about the toy hauler layouts.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Baja View Post
    That is a sweet toy hauler! The electric queen bunks were one of the options that I really liked about the toy hauler layouts.
    We paid something like $22K brand new - and got to order it how we wanted it. It has a total of three queens, but that's including the folding bottom couches which are also your dinette. It's 24 feet long on the inside - just under 30 feet total length. I REALLY like the toy hauler versatility. I built a little platform and we open the hatch and have a patio. Sometimes we put chairs out there, eat out there, etc.

You really need to decide on a toy hauler or normal pull behind. Otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges. You aren't going to find the bunks in a toy hauler in that size. However, three queen beds doesn't suck either. If you don't want a toy hauler you have a million options.

The clipper you posted has the terrible bed. It's super annoying if there are two of you. That was a deal breaker for me after I rented one with it.

Adventure Camper on off of Arapahoe road rents a Viking 17BH you might like - and you can rent it first.
    Last edited by DaneH; May 25th, 2018 at 01:14 PM.

Member #
    Thanks to everyone who replied, we have been shopping a lot and finally pulled the trigger on one.

We decided that we really wanted to have the toy hauler for a lot of reasons. New toy haulers were out of our budget so that left us to find a used one that was in good shape, most of the ones we looked at were hammered.

The other thing we noticed while researching model numbers is that some of the older ones are crazy heavy.
    Like DaneH we had some limits on gross and figured that lighter is going to be better in the long run no matter what.

Ended up with a 27' 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous Hyperlite.

20180609_125318 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20180609_125403 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

01515_fKmdH5GfC5R_1200x900 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

00Z0Z_dkRVCuJkTxD_1200x900 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Weighs 6060 empty and has a gross of 8400, The wall and ceiling structure are all aluminum.
    This thing was the Bentley of toy haulers in its day, found a PDF of the original brochure and this unit has every option listed.

4000w Onan with 15hrs
    20gal fuel station
    3gal air compressor
    Exterior shower with pressure washer
    Heated tanks
    Kenwood 7 speaker with sub
    TV DVD
    Dove tailed rear deck
    and a ton of other cool stuff.

Ultimately we decided that pulling 27' down the road and backing it can't be that much harder then the 21' units we were looking at. Buy once, cry once
    Can't wait to get it out!

Member #
    Images
    Looks like a great unit!
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Member #
    Images
    Very nice!
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

WOW- that looks incredible! You will be very happy with the tandem axles- Single axle trailers tow poorly. Plus- with how far forward the axles are, it will tow like a shorter non- toy hauler with the axles further back.

My only advice on that one is if you have to store it outside, figure out how to protect the decals. Colorado sun is BRUTAL on decals, and it will quickly deteriorate without some protection.

Nice trailer!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PovertyByJeep View Post
    WOW- that looks incredible! You will be very happy with the tandem axles- Single axle trailers tow poorly. Plus- with how far forward the axles are, it will tow like a shorter non- toy hauler with the axles further back.

My only advice on that one is if you have to store it outside, figure out how to protect the decals. Colorado sun is BRUTAL on decals, and it will quickly deteriorate without some protection.

Nice trailer!
    Thanks guys, we are really excited about it. Especially my 7yo son.

It needs a couple little repairs like any 11 year old trailer but the guy we got it from was meticulous in maintaining it and it shows.

I know what you mean on the decals, this unit spent the first 6 years stored indoors but the last 5 outside.
    The decals are all ready cracked and a couple are pealing. I'm going to attempt to remove a small one and see how bad it will be to get off and if it'll buff out or if ill just be left of a reverse image of the decals due to sun fading. If thats the case we'll probably just rock em.

Looking at metal carports and permanent awnings to park this thing under to keep the tree sap and hail off it.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Baja View Post
    Thanks guys, we are really excited about it. Especially my 7yo son.

It needs a couple little repairs like any 11 year old trailer but the guy we got it from was meticulous in maintaining it and it shows.

I know what you mean on the decals, this unit spent the first 6 years stored indoors but the last 5 outside.
    The decals are all ready cracked and a couple are pealing. I'm going to attempt to remove a small one and see how bad it will be to get off and if it'll buff out or if ill just be left of a reverse image of the decals due to sun fading. If thats the case we'll probably just rock em.

Looking at metal carports and permanent awnings to park this thing under to keep the tree sap and hail off it.
    get an eraser wheel to save yourself the time.

and use acrysol or wd-40 as your remover as you do...

Member #
    Got the 7pin connector rewired and added a brake controller. Wont win any land speed records going uphill but I'm pretty pleased with how it pulls. Probably in the 7k range as pictured.

20180620_131201 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Headed out to John Martian/Hasty end of this week to slay some bass.

20180620_170123 by colorado_baja, on Flickr