Adding a little armor to a low mileage 84 Toyota P/U

Had a client who was pining after a custom front bumper we have had here on a first gen 4Runner in the shop for some time. Here is the bumper in question:

We decided to sell it to him and go in a different direction with the 4Runner. And to go along with the custom front bumper, he asked that we build a custom set of sliders and install a Trail Gear rear bumper.

Here is the beautiful, low mileage (just over 100K miles) '84 Toyota that he brought in to us:

We quickly stripped the original equipment off of it.

Brucker Brothers, LTD
    Precision Metalwork-Stout Fabrication-Elegant Design
    Longmont, CO 720-235-9485
    www.BruckerBrothersLTD.com

We started first on the sliders. Our client wanted not only protection but also a useful step when accessing the bed of the truck. Here is what we came up with:

Started by cutting and capping some 2x3 tubing, and then bending up some 1.75" DOM:

Then welded up the pieces:

Designed, cut, and dimpled a plate for the foot step. The dimples add a little, much needed traction. And welded them into place:

The sliders were then test fitted to the truck:

They then got coated in primer and paint. They will be welded on shortly.

Before we could install the sliders, we needed to make some frame plates and gussets, and get the plates welded to the frame:

Then welded the sliders into place:

Next up was the front frame support. I will let the photos do most of the explaining:

The front bumper build was highlighted in an earlier thread so I am inclined not to rehash that. But if you would like to check out the extensive build thread, click the following link: http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...Toyota-4Runner

We coated the bumper and the frame and then installed it onto the truck. We also added a Warn X8000i and a set of flush mounted LED lights to the bumper.

Painted the rear Trail Gear bumper:

Installed the rear bumper and then wired the lights and winch, and swapped the side markers for blinkers. Then took it outside for a few photos of the finished product.

Last edited by BruckerBrothers; April 4th, 2018 at 12:13 AM.

Very nice! Ever thought about doing something similar for a 3rd Gen Taco (2018)?
    (Well, I'm takin' my time) I'm just movin' along
    You'll forget about me after I've been gone
    (And I take what I find) I don't want no more It's just outside of your front door

Member #
    Shes sexy...
    2007 Tundra TRD, 2001 Taco ExtendedCab TRD, 2014 Rav4

I've had your Jeep thing...Now it burns when I pee.

Quote Originally Posted by kemosabee View Post
    Shes sexy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    Very nice! Ever thought about doing something similar for a 3rd Gen Taco (2018)?
    Thank you for the kinds words!

We have not had the opportunity to build a custom set of armor for a 2018 Taco yet. We'd be happy to! Just give Aaron a ring or email at the shop to set something up!

We are a custom fab shop that does not discriminate against brands, models, age, etc. It doesn't even need to be a vehicle! Anything metal related and we are game! Check out our FB page ( https://www.facebook.com/BruckerBrothersLtd ) or our website ( www.bruckerbrothersltd.com ) to see some other examples of our work!

And just an FYI, we offer an outstanding discount to blue star members of this forum! Check out the details here: http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...-CO4X4-members!
    Last edited by BruckerBrothers; April 4th, 2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BruckerBrothers View Post

that is one clean truck!
    break, fix, repeat