Member #
    Images

Gas Fireplace Insert Replacement

Anyone here do gas fireplace inserts or have a suggestion on who does?

I have been looking at replacing my 30 yr old unit and frankly the shops around town are crazy with the pricing and dont really seem to know what they are doing. I also thought about doing this myself, but no one seems to sell the units separate including the home improvement places like Lowes and Home Depot. I set up an appointment with HD that was a total waste of time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    My Jeep is not an SUV and your SUV is not a Jeep
    Support the Grand Slam West Sponsors
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=11024

We used Lehrer's or something like that? The place over by Davidson's off County Line and Holly. Decent enough unit, but it was NOT cheap. Seemed to me it should have been quite a bit cheaper than it was, or maybe I'm just in the wrong business.

A guy I was in Scouts with is a Tech at this place: http://fireplacestoreinc.com/ I know nothing about them other than that though.
    www.staythetrail.org

If you like realistic looking fires, and want to heat the room, Mendota is the way to go. I've had three of them over the past 20 years, and they are terrific. Not cheap, though.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    ''Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.'' - Plato

Member #
    Images
    I have not found anyone cheap, but as Dave stated seems the prices I have been quoted are more than it should be. Just under 4k on up installed. I will pay what it takes, but want to shop around a bit. I will try the link above as well. Seems a bunch of these places around this part of town. But it also seems they charge more in this area.

Only thing I can add, is get the fan under the unit. Otherwise, it seems that 90% of the heat is wasted. You probably were already planning on that tho.

One other place you might look is a farm supply shop. Seems Big R was selling some at one point.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    My old unit as far as heating the room is concerned is useless. I have large candles on the seat area in 2 inches in front of it and they never melt or get soft. I believe it was a gas log added to the fireplace but from when the house was originally built in 87. Sorta early era for these things. I like the look of the flame and log in it, but the front area is looking grungy and dated. Plus its useless for heating the room. Whats the point without that?

I suppose I just need to get serious and get several bonified quotes and negotiate from there.

Ill check a couple other places like farm supplies just in case.