Ingersoll rand parts/equipment salvage/maybe gas tank tech

I have a trailer mounted portable compressor made by IR. Its a big sumbitch...100 PSI at 160 CFM

I store it in my shop and 2 days ago I see a leak. An hour of investigating has revealed the bottom of the diesel tank has rusted through in multiple locations. I spoke to the parts house and a new tank is 4-6 weeks out and $1300. I can probably make a whole new tank in a day at the shop, or just weld in a new bottom with a little effort.

Is there an equipment salvage yard anywhere? There isn't anything special about this tank. It has a filler neck, a drain, a pickup, and a return fitting. Anything similar dimensions would be fine with me.

If I decide to repair it, should I expect to find the entire inside rotten? or just the bottom where water must have gotten in sometime in its life?

My plan is to flush it with water/soap, then purge it with exhaust from the pickup so I can cut it open. Anyone see any problems with this?

I'll probably cut it open in the next day or two, just trying to do a little recon in advance, and maybe whine about my new problem.

Search someplace like Northern Tool for replacement gas tank. They sell tanks for gas powered equipment for cheap. Not sure if they're anywhere near large enough, but it's a start, and a course of action I'd likely be taking. How big is the tank?
    Murray's Toys: 76 FJ40, 00 Toyota MR2, 07 KTM 450EXC, 05 Suzuki SV1000S, 12 Yeti SB66c, too many skis to list...

I got your Jeep thing....now it burns when I pee

Member #
    Images
    Purge it with dry ice.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    ill buy the whole rig from ya for 500
    hookers and blow!

You only got it cause the BMW has a trailer hitch.....

(Well, I'm takin' my time) I'm just movin' along
    You'll forget about me after I've been gone
    (And I take what I find) I don't want no more It's just outside of your front door

I think I'll cut it open and see how bad it is in the next week. I don't use it every day but when I need it, I need it.

Member #
    Images
    make sure you seal the cap before you take the cutting torch, to keep oxygen from getting in.
    And take video.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I say some stupid sh!t here.

You said diesel, which is far less volatile than gasoline, but...I'd think you'd be better served with a new tank and spend the time retrofitting it to the system. Perhaps crack that drain open from time to time to drain any water from now on.

Take a picture of the tank. That could help folks know where you might find one.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio