Member #
    Images

renting a camping trailer

wife retired last year, and has decided that she wants to start camping again. almost a year after we sold our pop up trailer. because she didnt want to go camping.
    you can imagine my joy.
    so ive decided to just rent one for a week for an early april trip to southern utah, with some friends who have a sportsmobile.
    all i want os a smaller 2 person trailer, for a friday to friday rental. most of the rentals i find sleep 6 to 9 people, and i can get a motel and a good dinner for the prices they ask. i can even rent a huge motorhome for less than what some are asking.
    anyone know of a spot to get a smaller trailer for rent? or am i just a way cheapskate than i ever thought i was?
    (i do have a large 7 person tent that i will probably end up using, but the wife wanted heat and to not sleep on the ground. she may not get a choice tho)
    06 rubicon unlimited, Rokmen all around

Carl Sagan: "If it can be destroyed by the truth, then it deserves to be destroyed by the truth"

Member #
    Prior to purchasing a camper I wanted to rent one a couple times to see if it was for me. I rented from this place twice, once for a trip to Yellowstone and once for a trip to Walden Sand Dunes. I had a good experience each time.
    https://www.adventurecamper.com/

For Yellowstone I rented the little Viking17FQ.
    For the Sand Dunes I rented a larger 24 footer (that they don't have any more, closest is the 21FQ).

I think either would suit your needs. You'll want to rent a generator too unless you have one.

For two people, make sure to get the FQ model of either, not the BH. You'll have a better bed.

Member #
    Images
    Will look into that, thanks. Good info on the FQ model also, didn't realize it would make a difference.
    Not worried about electrical, I'm used to primitive camping and day trips should keep a cell phone charged.
    Main goal is not being on the ground, and better insulation than a big tent. Am trying to keep it simple, or else it gets stupid!

We used rvshare over xmass and it worked out great for what we needed. It was way better than sleeping on air mattresses and couches for visiting both sides of the family. We basically just towed the spare bedrooms around. Will do again.
    If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have none at all.

You can rent a popup trailer from Roberts Sales starting at about $ 420 for a week.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ttim View Post
    Will look into that, thanks. Good info on the FQ model also, didn't realize it would make a difference.
    Not worried about electrical, I'm used to primitive camping and day trips should keep a cell phone charged.
    Main goal is not being on the ground, and better insulation than a big tent. Am trying to keep it simple, or else it gets stupid!
    The first time you use the furnace, AC, or microwave... you'll want to use it again

I highly recommend a generator.

Yes, you can use the furnace on battery power, but not for a week. Happy wife, happy life.

Hi Tim! Hope all is well with you! The wife and I have rented several times from www.coloradocamperrental.com with great success and nice affordability. Renting is a fantastic alternative to owning as you can rent about 30 times for the price of purchasing just once (not to mention insurance, parking, maintenance, etc.). We have mostly done the a-frame pop-up camper as it tows well behind the LJ, but now that we have a Cherokee Overland, we can get up to 5000 lbs, and have done a few travel trailers from them.

I'm itching to go for a run, so let me know if you're headed up anytime soon! Best to you and the wife!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    '05 LJ, ARB/4.56 F&R, 33s