Member #
    Images

Which U-Joint? 1480 Lifetime (solid) v 1550 Greasable (drilled)

Anyone know which is stronger?

I got a set of new spare OEM shafts for my Ď05 Superduty 60 axle.

Right now, in the axle, I have spicer 1480 lifetime joints (non greasable) since they are stronger than the drilled greasable ones. Ford superseded the F250/350 1480 shafts with 1550 ones. So, the new shafts are spicer 1550 but drilled for grease fittings.

Shafts themselves are the same other than the bigger ears for the bigger joint. 35 spline inner and outer. Running drive flanges.

Which shaft would you run and keep the other as the spares? Itís easy enough to swap them out since I donít use the PITA vacuum seal.

Anyone know the difference in strength???
    '01 "Cherokee" - Kind of.... (Jeep: Steering Column, Firewall, Partial "frame", Brake Booster,and a Little Sheet Metal)

Member #
    Images
    If your not getting Yukon or 300m stay with non greasble they last much longer but can still break but they are pretty strong
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjjared413 View Post
    If your not getting Yukon or 300m stay with non greasble they last much longer but can still break but they are pretty strong
    Unfortunately, with the 05+, the only choice for upgraded shafts seems to be RCV. Those big buck shafts are out of my budget with all the other work Iím doing right now!

It doesnít seem like it would be worth it to put a CTM or Yukon or other upgraded joint in the stock shafts? Although a 300m 1550 would be sweet!

Iíve heard a couple people might do custom 4340 shafts, but I havenít found anyone selling them yet. 04 down has plenty available. Just not 05 up.

can't you use the 04 and down shafts in that axle? i thought the only difference was the 05+ had larger knuckles to clear the bigger joints.
    edit nevermind i didnt read the original question. i'd run the 1550 shafts and keep the 1480s for spares. then you can eventualy get some chromos with good joints.
    Last edited by rollingblubber; February 15th, 2018 at 07:06 AM.

Member #
    Images

Which U-Joint? 1480 Lifetime (solid) v 1550 Greasable (drilled)

Quote Originally Posted by rollingblubber View Post
    can't you use the 04 and down shafts in that axle? i thought the only difference was the 05+ had larger knuckles to clear the bigger joints.
    I think the inners are a different length. 45.96Ē & 23.72Ē.
    And the 7.03Ē outer is definitely different. Itís an odd shaped shaft due to the hub seal. I think itís the reason people arenít selling chrome shafts.

I did just find that there are non-greasable spicer 1550s. These shafts came preassembled from spicer unfortunately with the grease fitting joints. Maybe Iíll swap out the joints for peace of mind?

If anyone has this axle (05-15) and needs shafts, Dennyís Driveshaft has a pretty good price for them.
    Last edited by Short Bus; February 15th, 2018 at 07:35 AM.

Have spicer non g's in my ford with no worries. My buggy before I bought it had a spicer in the 60 for 3 years with hard abuse. Got a rebuild kit for my CTM and swapped them fully expecting the spicer to crumble, nope, was almost in perfect shape.
    Red 1st gen 4Runner, White Buggy

Member #
    Images
    I thought I found Spicer lifetime 1550 joints, but they are for a driveshaft so they don't have the grooves for a clip on the cups. Too bad you can't get these in 4340. $4K for the 1550 bell (3k for the smaller 1480 bell) RCVs is just NUTS!

Found this pic on pirate of the 1550 version next to the 1480 original.

Member #
    Images
    Wow that 1550 is huge

Member #
    Images
    Wow that 1550 is huge
    Crazy, right?
    Makes the regular dana 60 1480 shaft look like something out of a 44.

The 35/35 spline shafts are still the same strength, but I've found some information that says the forces at the ears are something like 30% less on the larger size which is supposed to keep the ears from stretching as much. I don't know if I buy 30%, but if t's on the internet, it must be true. http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/foru...?topic=57863.0

Whatever the difference is, it was enough for Ford to supersede the 05+F250-F350 shafts with these larger joints. The only thing that seems odd is how inexpensive the are. Full set of new assembled spicer shafts with joints and hub and housing seals is only a hair over $300.

I think I'll give them a shot, and probably modify them for full circle clips like I did with the other smaller ones. I just don't trust those C clips.

Member #
    Images
    This one's just bad ass so I have to put it in the conversation.

I have no idea what this would cost, but it's a 1550 CTM Joint with a 40 spline 1550 CTM stub that goes straight into the hub splines with no drive flange! The 1.5" inner shaft looks tiny compared to the stub.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    This one's just bad ass so I have to put it in the conversation.

I have no idea what this would cost, but it's a 1550 CTM Joint with a 40 spline 1550 CTM stub that goes straight into the hub splines with no drive flange! The 1.5" inner shaft looks tiny compared to the stub.

Thatís a good way to break a ring and pinion lol