Member #
    Images

Do you miss your windshield???

Obviously, this is directed to the buggy-ish crowd.

I'm redoing the cage and getting rid of what's left of my Jeep roof. I will probably do some aluminum on part of the cage eventually. I'm trying to decide how much brain damage I want to go through to keep a windshield in or not. Since I started with a hybrid cage, the windshield is under the cage, not outboard of it. Since I needed to cut a bunch of pieces out, I'm "modifying" the cage I have right now (keeping the rockers, a-pillars and the outside of halo). If I could do it with out getting divorced, I'd just start the whole thing over from a tube frame!

No plates on this thing anymore, no street time. (especially if I ditch this last piece of glass)

Those of you who have been through this, when you lost the windshield, do you find times you wish you still had it? I will still have little kids in the back sometimes.

Thanks!

Here's a hacked up model of the cage for reference. Front isn't right yet. Imagine a bit less sheet metal and a hole for an LS truck intake in the hood. Probably going to narrow it.
    Last edited by Short Bus; December 14th, 2017 at 12:54 PM.
    '01 "Cherokee" - Kind of.... (Jeep: Steering Column, Firewall, Partial "frame", Brake Booster,and a Little Sheet Metal)

Only time I miss it is when it's raining or super dusty.

Member #
    Images
    Since I just bought a buggy I wondered if I'll miss the windshield. In my TJ most of the time the windshield was dirty, inside and out, so I am thinking not having one will be better most of the time.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    pull it! I am 98% I am glad its gone...I just pack goggles and a rain jacket and go have fun... I cant imagine have glass any more on any hard trails one less then to clean up after a roll over
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Member #
    Can't say I miss it.

I have one on my jeep and always take it off before wheeling. I have found trail dust blows through with it off instead of swirling around it along with better visibility. Rain jacket and aluminum top have been good enough for me.

Member #
    Images
    Thanks guys...

I am going to finally let go of that last piece of "streetability" and ditch the glass. I think it will make some cage decisions I was struggling with work out better.

Anyone know a secret to get it out in one piece? I figure it was brand new last time I took the jeep out, so I could pass it on to someone else if they need one. I tried the fishing line method and haven't gotten it to work. I made it an inch or 2, but then keep snapping the 50# line. The guy who put the glass in last time was very liberal with the urethane!

Member #
    Images
    good!

and youll need one of these:
    https://www.grainger.com/product/46D315?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166588198750!!!g!82496191317!&ef_id=Vc0HKgAAAIEPNaeF :20171218194339:s&kwid=productads-adid^166588198750-device^c-plaid^82496191317-sku^46D315-adType^PLA

Member #
    Images
    Harbor Freight for the win!

$18. Took it out pretty quick and peacefully.

Member #
    Next time, find a dollar store metal spatula in a sawzall.

Member #
    Images
    nice!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    I tried the fishing line method and haven't gotten it to work. I made it an inch or 2, but then keep snapping the 50# line. The guy who put the glass in last time was very liberal with the urethane!
    I never had luck with fishing line. I happen to have a spool of 100# line I picked up for another project, but I suspect even that wouldn't be enough. Cutting through modern urethane is not like cutting through the butyl or years past. Most of the time I haven't needed it out in one piece, so a hammer did the trick. The few times I was trying to be careful, I had a buddy who played guitar and had old strings. Once I swiped a string out of an old piano that was on a junk pile, spun each end on an old dowel and went to sawing it. I like the HF spike tool to get the wire through to start, that always was the challenge... getting started.
    Proudly un-offended.

Member #
    Images
    The HF kit was pretty good.. They give you a ton of piano wire. I broke 2 times as I was learning how to use it effectively. I have enough wire left to make garrotes for an army on Ninjas! I think the T-handles and the Spike tool were well worth the $18. Hell, the 50# fishing line I bought that didn't work cost more!

I think the whole process took 30 minutes to get the glass out. Of course, I have no interior to worry about protecting, though.

Now, the snowball effect. With no glass in the front, there's no need for the a-pillars or rest of the roof. That's now out on the trailer for disposal.

Member #
    Images
    Now, the snowball effect. With no glass in the front, there's no need for the a-pillars or rest of the roof. That's now out on the trailer for disposal.

cool! it will be worth it once its done!

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newracer View Post
    Pics aren't very pretty yet. I keep chopping parts off. More progress but less complete!

I've been fiddling with the cage design and think I've got it set. I need to chop the rest of the old cage and get the remaining parts cleaned up for the rebuild. I did bend up the new A Pillar portions yesterday. Can't put them in until I cut the old ones out.

Here's where she sits now. Lots to do!

Member #
    Images
    Nice but yes long ways to go!

Quote Originally Posted by rollingblubber View Post
    Only time I miss it is when it's raining or super dusty.
    Or hailing up at St. Elmo haha
    Red 1st gen 4Runner

Ha. Yeah that did suck.

Member #
    Images
    Thought I'd throw a better pic up....
    Here's the start of the new cage. I definitely like the new lines and lack of windshield.

Member #
    Images
    Looks good man!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjjared413 View Post
    Looks good man!
    Thanks!

Slowly but surely it will get done. I just hope it sees more than 2 trails once it's out of the garage this time!

Looking good!

Member #
    Images
    any new updates on this short bus?

Member #
    Images
    Some progress, but I'm still at the point that progress is cutting things off, not adding things back!

I've been dabbling in too many different areas at once. I'm going to focus getting all the cutting / grinding done, then focus on the main portions of the cage and quit tinkering with the all of the other parts on the list at once. Unfortunately, I'm still making black snow all over my floor. I can't wait to be past that phase! I had a really weird experience when I was cutting out of my old B-pillars out. Since I had the hybrid XJ cage, I couldn't get a full 360 degree weld where the B met the halo due to roof clearance. It must have been in just the perfect orientation to catch water. I had a gusher when I cut through the bottom of the tube! There had to have been a few cups of water tapped in the bottom of the tube. That was a surprise!

I've got all of the old cage out now, and just need to grind down the last of the stubs of tube left so I can start welding the new cage in. Main A and B pillar tubes are recessed through the upper face of the 2x6x1/4 rockers for strength (sitting on the bottom face now). It also gives me a little adjustability to the corner height at each tube to get everything nice and level. Trying to save the battery mounts to relocate, but some A-hole welded them into place in the most hard to get to corners of the brackets.

I did finally build a new trans cross member so the whole drivetrain is actually completely supported by the Jeep for the first time. No more floor jacks under the Jeep!

One of my 14" Fox 2.0 coilovers for the front comes today, and Ruffstuff lower brackets come Thursday. I'll be able to build in the upper mounts when I get to the front cage portion. Although, I do still have a bunch of cutting to get my old spring and shock mounts off the front frame. Yes! More black snow.

I did add a new tool to the garage just in time for the all the welding. Decided it was time to retire my old Clarke 180 welder and step up a bit over the holidays.

Member #
    Images

Speak of the devil... Brown truck just showed up.

Member #
    Images
    Sweet! Iíve been thinking about getting one of them welders!! Youíll have to post up how you like it!

And Iím getting ready to call them my self to replace my SAW shocks!

Member #
    Images
    Side note who are you using to host your photos?

Member #
    Images
    Some progress, but I'm still at the point that progress is cutting things off, not adding things back!

I've been dabbling in too many different areas at once. I'm going to focus getting all the cutting / grinding done, then focus on the main portions of the cage and quit tinkering with the all of the other parts on the list at once. Unfortunately, I'm still making black snow all over my floor. I can't wait to be past that phase! I had a really weird experience when I was cutting out of my old B-pillars out. Since I had the hybrid XJ cage, I couldn't get a full 360 degree weld where the B met the halo due to roof clearance. It must have been in just the perfect orientation to catch water. I had a gusher when I cut through the bottom of the tube! There had to have been a few cups of water tapped in the bottom of the tube. That was a surprise!

I've got all of the old cage out now, and just need to grind down the last of the stubs of tube left so I can start welding the new cage in. Main A and B pillar tubes are recessed through the upper face of the 2x6x1/4 rockers for strength (sitting on the bottom face now). It also gives me a little adjustability to the corner height at each tube to get everything nice and level. Trying to save the battery mounts to relocate, but some A-hole welded them into place in the most hard to get to corners of the brackets.

I did finally build a new trans cross member so the whole drivetrain is actually completely supported by the Jeep for the first time. No more floor jacks under the Jeep!

One of my 14" Fox 2.0 coilovers for the front comes today, and Ruffstuff lower brackets come Thursday. I'll be able to build in the upper mounts when I get to the front cage portion. Although, I do still have a bunch of cutting to get my old spring and shock mounts off the front frame. Yes! More black snow.

I did add a new tool to the garage just in time for the all the welding. Decided it was time to retire my old Clarke 180 welder and step up a bit over the holidays.
    So far, Iím liking it. I havenít gotten a lot of torch time with it yet, but played with some scrap to check it out. Itís a little weird letting the computer take over with the sMIG thing, but seems to work well. Ground clamp blows for 1.75Ē tube, but thatís easy to replace.

Note to self... Make sure your tank isnít almost empty when your new welder shows up!

I have mainly been welding with the Clarke for 12 years, so everything is just different. It is much nicer, for sure. The wire feed is very smooth.

I got the EM (mig only) version. The EMP multi-process ones could be cool if you wanted a scratch start TIG, too.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjjared413 View Post
    Side note who are you using to host your photos?
    Tinypic.com

It seems to work ok.

Had to find a new place since photobucket ruined the internet!

Member #
    Images
    So far, Iím liking it. I havenít gotten a lot of torch time with it yet, but played with some scrap to check it out. Itís a little weird letting the computer take over with the sMIG thing, but seems to work well. Ground clamp blows for 1.75Ē tube, but thatís easy to replace.

Note to self... Make sure your tank isnít almost empty when your new welder shows up!

I have mainly been welding with the Clarke for 12 years, so everything is just different. It is much nicer, for sure. The wire feed is very smooth.

I got the EM (mig only) version. The EMP multi-process ones could be cool if you wanted a scratch start TIG, too.
    Tinypic.com

It seems to work ok.

Had to find a new place since photobucket ruined the internet!

Awesome thanks!