Wheeling on 12/9 Suggestions

I am wanting to go wheeling Saturday and had a buddy suggest Spring Creek. I have never been there so I looked it up on Trail Damage for description. Looks like it is kinda steep climbing out of the canyon. Since it is north facing mountain I am concerned with snow/ice on the trail. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. We ran Chinaman Gulch two weeks ago and would like to do a trail as challenging as it if there is anything open. Thanks for any help!

So, the first obstacle is a pretty steep off camber rock slab, so any snow/ ice, even wet makes it difficult or impossible. Second concern would be the shelf road part. There are a few narrow and slightly off camber places that could pose a danger. There are only a few streches along that shelf road that have "scary" drop off's (I managed to roll of one) but are kinda flat. I have not personally been up there as of late so can't speak to snow conditions. In the past we have done it in the snow but the elevation climb usually stops us in the rock garden. Who knows, with this wacky weather it could be completely dry for all I know. Look up some web cams around Dumont area to give you a general Idea of conditions. Hope this helps. If you have never ran it, pretty fun, lots of loose boulders and more rocks that Chinamans but in my opinion not as hard.
    Red 1st gen 4Runner

Nimbus, I appreciate the info. We may head back down to run Chinaman than, I am not into scary snow/ice covered roads anymore. I will definitely check cameras and make a call to forest service for more info as well.

Post up what you find out. I'd like to take the dirt bikes out, but also not sure about snow. We generally run up Cascade Creek, then down and back up Spring Creek and back out Cascade.
    One ton CJ-7

Quote Originally Posted by MountainHigh View Post
    Nimbus, I appreciate the info. We may head back down to run Chinaman than, I am not into scary snow/ice covered roads anymore. I will definitely check cameras and make a call to forest service for more info as well.
    No problem ,I get it. Nor am I in to that stuff.

Also, http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#bill can give you some info. Not always up to date but worth it.

I ran Bill Moore twoweeks ago and there was snow at higher elevations, but no problems, no winching. I imagine Spring Creek to be similar on the flats, but if the obstacles are covered you'll have a rough go of it.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    '05 LJ, ARB/4.56 F&R, 33s

Well my buddy can not go so no wheeling tomorrow for me. I will not have a report of Spring Creek. Thanks everyone for the input.