Billet u-joint straps?

So I blew out my rear driveshaft over the weekend. Seems to have pulled the yoke straps out. I worry I may have lost a nut by the way one of the straps is bent.

So I am ordering a new joint, but I just saw that you can also get these billet strap kits or girdle . Anyone ever use them? What is your experience? I have some concerns that they are a little more bulky then the straps and being at the pinion, could catch rocks easier. But there is more contact with the caps and are surely stronger??

Thanks!
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Holy cow! That seems like overkill.

What ever happened to drilling out the yoke to convert to the u-bolts? That was the usual fix over 10 years ago when I still played with Jeep CJs.
    '94 Land Rover Discovery - Lots of mods and dents, scratches and scars.

That's not my pic, but the Ford 9" yoke is the u-bolt strap.

But what I believe my real issue is...lose u-bolts holding the spring pack to the axle. I have one sheared centering bolt. Time to replace it and tighten things up again. I'll probably just go back together with the u-bolts.

Member #
    Images
    the height of that piece would be what I think be the big issue when the drive shaft is at full drop.
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    So I blew out my rear driveshaft over the weekend. Seems to have pulled the yoke straps out. I worry I may have lost a nut by the way one of the straps is bent.

So I am ordering a new joint, but I just saw that you can also get these billet strap kits or girdle . Anyone ever use them? What is your experience? I have some concerns that they are a little more bulky then the straps and being at the pinion, could catch rocks easier. But there is more contact with the caps and are surely stronger??

Thanks!
    I run the high angle driveline yoke and ubolts. The ubolts are beef enough that they massaged the yoke and the ubolts won. Highly recommend. Also a bit easier to install in my opinion not that either are hard.....

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    90 YJ - Vortec L31, TH400, NP205, hp44/14bolt, 108" on Leaf Springs. 40" MT2s on Raceline Beadlocks

I've been using these on my 14B without any issues http://www.greatlakeoffroad.com/GLO-Yoke-Girdles.html

When installing U bolts be careful not to over tighten them....
    The benefits from MILSPEC requirements are priceless!

I decided against them for this application. Being the pinion yoke, they are very exposed!

But greentj - thanks for the link. Ironically, GLO has a decent price on the yoke I need!

Anyone know what the torque specs are for the u-bolts? I'm temped to also lock-tite them!